No more BootCamp After EFI 1.2

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by numkem, Oct 4, 2007.

1. numkem macrumors newbie

I have Windows Vista installed on a single hard drive in my mac pro and it ran fairly well (considering its vista...) for quite some time, the bootcamp tools installed were 1.2, at least they came from version 1.2 of the assistant. I recently updated my mac pro with the 1.2 EFI and now, i can't reboot at all into Windows, in fact, once i select to boot to anything else than a OS X (Tiger, Leopard...), my videocard (the "fixed" version of the 1900XT, the original overheated, different problem) doesnt seem to output anything since my monitors put themselves on standby mode after few seconds. I tried to boot with parallels on that partition and it worked well, so its not my windows that is currupted. I tried to install bootcamp 1.4 but no luck either since i think its mostly just the assistant and the drivers that are update not, the part of the EFI that emulates the BIOS.

Anybody got an idea?

Mac Pro 2.6GHZ // 2 GB RAM // ATI 1900XT Rev A

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

what was the issue with the rev A 1900 cards?

3. numkem thread starter macrumors newbie

I had bad artifacts problems running some games (World of Warcraft for example). When the card reached 42C, the card would became really unstable and at some point you couldnt see anything. Some ppl say the rev A is basicly the standard card with a flashed firmware and a better cooling system. They are indeed quite close to eatch other but the new one certainly does a better job. 48C and no problems.

And if can help anything i tried to zap the PRAM and nothing helped...

4. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

Which sensor are you using? I wasn't aware there was an OS X utility that could read the sensor on-board the card like the Windows Catalyst drivers do... 42C is quite low if you go by the sensor on the card in Windows in Boot Camp, people push XTs up to and even over 80C on Windows PCs.

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

He probably means the expansion slot sensor which to my knowledge is just that, the slot the card sits in.

6. numkem thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly

For my problem, is there a way to revert back to the EFI 1.1?