no more caps lock?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by white4s, Sep 27, 2013.

1. white4s macrumors 65816

before ios7 you could hold down the caps key and it'd lock with a blue color change on the icon, I have noticed this is gone in ios7

I have caps lock off but to my understanding that's only to start a sentence however I had turned off on my 4s with ios6

:confused:

2. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

double tap it

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Double-tap the button and it will come on. I've always done this on previous version of iOS. I've never tried holding it down for caps lock before.

4. bchery21 macrumors 6502

bchery21

I never knew this was even possible. That being said, double tapping the upper case button doesn't keep CAPS LOCK locked for me :/

5. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

that is very strange, this has worked for me since my 1st gen Ipod touch

6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I've never held the caps button...I have always double tapped it.

Holding the caps button and typing with the other hand does do caps as you hold it.

7. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

It is not really a caps button, it is more of a shift/caps button combined (double tap for caps).

with that said, I can hold in the button and type in all caps however for me it feels super awkward

8. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

9. white4s thread starter macrumors 65816

lol wow, totally confused myself. i got it

thank you all

10. bchery21 macrumors 6502

bchery21

Hmm, that is interesting. After trying a bunch of times I've resorted in just holding down the upper case button and typing with my other finger, which you can imagine isn't too efficient. I do know option of going through settings and enabling caps lock from there but that's too cumbersome. O well...

11. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Double tapping the upper case button doesn't work for you? Does it work, and then stop working if you go to numbers? Because that's how it's supposed to work. Or does it not work at all?

With Caps lock on, the color of the arrow on the upper case key will be dark grey, darker than the grey that it is when just using a single capital letter.

12. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

It is too cumbersome to go into settings once and enable it? Are you under the impression that you have to go into settings every time you want to turn on caps lock? You only have to do that once. From that point on you just double tap the shift key to enter caps lock mode.

13. bchery21 macrumors 6502

bchery21

I must be misunderstanding something. You are guys saying double tapping the shift key (arrow up botton) will HOLD caps lock on (for as long as you want until you press it again) so that you type in all upper case letters? Or are y'll saying hitting that button will have the next letter in uppercase before going back to lower case?:confused:

~Ks383~ - obviously it's not crazy hard to go into settings but I rarely write in all caps so it'd be a little "outta my way".

14. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

What they said. Double tapping the shift/caps key will turn it solid blue and it will remain that way until you tap it again or switch to numbers/symbols.

15. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes, if you double click it, all letters that you type afterwards will be capital until you hit the upper case button again.

I think what Ks383 is saying is that in Settings --> General --> Keyboard, there is an option to turn on Caps lock. You have to enable this. This is just a general setting to allow you to activate caps lock by double tapping the upper case button. You need to turn on that feature, and keep it on.

After that, all you need to do is double tap the upper case button on the keyboard and caps lock will be on until you tap it again.

16. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

That is exactly what I meant. You should only have to go into settings once to enable the feature.

17. bchery21 macrumors 6502

bchery21

Ahhh! I had to enable it first in settings and THEN double tapping the shift key will work. I was slightly confused; I was under the impression that enabling caps lock in settings would have me typing in upper case wherever I go and that the only way to get off of caps lock would be to go back into settings and disabling (hence me saying this would be cumbersome ~Ks383~). But thanks guys for the thorough explanations, y'll probably shaking your heads now:D

18. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

No worries - I am confused by random things every day, we're human. Glad you've got it sorted now.