No more cheap Applecare buys on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by celo48, Oct 28, 2010.

1. celo48 macrumors 6502a

I had my eyes on few auctions/BIN listings to buy an Applecare for my MBP. One even sold for $79 a month ago which was ended when I found the listing.

I just checked Ebay and no more $100 Applecare products!

This Ebay seller says which I believe it may be true but I also wanted to ask here to get more info about it. Anybody heard about this new Apple policy?

In early October apple has changed their policies regarding applecare, No longer can you register applecare with simply a code that everyone is selling on eBay. You must have either a proof of purchase from an authorized apple re-seller (who apple does not allow to sell on eBay) or the serial number on the outside of the sealed box as proof of purchase.

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

That's probably for the better. Weren't a lot of those eBay auctions scams? I know some were legit, but I thought a lot got burned. Hopefully this reduces that some.

3. celo48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you don't know how to shop on Ebay, you can get burned buying anything. The guy who sold for $79 maybe had forty happy buyers who purchased Applecare from him. He also got 100% positive feedback not to mention Paypal protection. I think Applecare is overpriced. I would happily pay $100 but not $200.

4. Perdification macrumors regular

If you buy AC from eBay, always insist on getting the box with original packaging. Then there's no way Apple can stop AC from being sold online.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's always been the suggestion of the members here to go with a seller that doesn't just give you the code, but gives you the physical box. Dunno if there were some sellers selling just the code and being perfectly legit, but it was always considered wiser to get the box.

On that note, I purchased AppleCare a while ago from eBay, got just the code, registered it fine and have checked since (just a few days ago) and it's still registered, but I also haven't tried to make a claim on it. I'm really hoping that if I ever to have to make an AppleCare claim that I don't have issues. If I'd gotten a box, I wouldn't be worried (didn't know at the time).

jW

6. Perdification macrumors regular

If you're AC shows that its registered, then isn't it proof that you haven't been scammed? Or do you have to make a claim before you know if its legit?

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

In the last year, I have always been asked for proof-of-purchase from an authorized retailer when making a claim.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I've heard stories where Apple has asked for proof of purchase (e.g. box or receipt). If you just got the code from eBay, you have no proof of purchase.

Here is a thread about this policy change

9. Perdification macrumors regular

10. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

11. dissolve macrumors 6502a

I know that, but it seems especially easy with these types of things. I've heard of people getting a code that registers fine, but once it's time for the policy to begin, it's found to be fraudulent. By then, positive feedback has already been sent. Like the many others on here have already said, getting the box and even proof of purchase is a much safer bet. Of course, there are exceptions and lucky ones.

12. feeth macrumors 6502

Amazon usually has the best price for 100% legit AC.

13. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

No, the feedback means nothing. After you left feedback, the seller would return the warranty to Apple for the pro-rated refund and screw you!

14. celo48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Like I said you need to know who you buy it from and how to shop on Ebay.

I am a member since Feb 1999 and not once I got burned. Yes, not even once.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

79$ AppleCare might have been your first time to get burned. There are countless threads about AC on eBay and yes, there are people telling that they got screwed even though they bought it from a powerseller with thousands of positive feedbacks.

Also, it isn't enough that the code works. If/when you have to use it, Apple may ask for a proof of purchase.

It should ring your bells if something that retails for 249$ is 79$ on eBay. There is something fishy in that.

16. B.winkle macrumors member

I bought mine on Amazon and received the box with the code on it. Saved about $50.00.:D

17. celo48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Since their policy has changed, yes now it is risky BUT before they did not have this policy. I am NOT supposed to keep the box for things that I buy from anywhere UNLESS I want to return it. People who did not know how to handle their situation with Apple before was not smart if you ask me. Again, now it is a different situation with this new policy.

18. bcp23 macrumors member

I just bought Applecare for my iphone 4 on ebay. When I went to register it the other day, it said that I needed to send Apple a fax or scan of the proof of purchase as well as a copy of the agreement number.

Luckily I had read about all the Applecare ebay stories and the seller I bought it from was able to give me the original receipt with the sealed box. He bought it for his 3GS and ended up not using it. But I don't see any listings for the code only Applecare anymore. I wonder what is going to happen to all the people who bought the code only Applecare in the past when they need to make a claim?

19. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

If you are a student, you save far more than that. I think I saved something like $120 on mine.

20. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

It's still pretty high priced.