No more COMMAND + K in Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by insocal, Aug 28, 2009.

1. insocal macrumors regular

I used to use this shortcut all the time to easily DELETE ALL MAIL TRASH at once.

Now it's gone.

Looks like you have to use COMMAND + SHIFT + DELETE.

2. BTGeekboy macrumors member

Ever been over to System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts? You can create or change keyboard shortcuts for anything accessible from the menubar. Coincidentally, I've used it to make Cmd-K work in Safari like it does in Firefox.

3. insocal thread starter macrumors regular

I checked over there. Didn't think I could do it. Guess I'm not as comp savvy as you...any tips how I can create that shortcut?
    Much appreciated!

4. wal9000 macrumors member

Not running 10.6 yet, but if it works like 10.5 you should just need to click the + button and type in the exact text of the menu item.

5. insocal thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

Tried that but didn't seem to work. I'll do some more exploring.

6. MadMacs99 macrumors newbie

That does work but its bad practice to change keyboards commands in an application. Also, it is a bad idea in general to change keyboard commands and to five users the ability to do so.

This is not the first time Apple has taken a simple keyboard command and made it more difficult. Which is how I arrived to this post, for I too use command+K every day.

Remember command+n used to create a new folder until OS X. They changed it to command+shift+n, and command+n now creates a new finder window. I have never had the need to create a new finder window, but I create new folders multiple times a day every day.

I have been told eventually I will see the need to constantly create new windows, but i have been using OS X since beta and have never needed another finder window. I am sure others can come up with a reason to do this. However, I bet there is another way to do all of the things they could list for creating another finder window.

Another thing I have noticed. I like the original poster wrote about the new folder command problem and was given the same advice you gave. Of course this was years after the release of OS X as you could not change keyboard commands originally. I changed my keyboard command for creating a new folder back to command+n. I will warn that it does not stay that way after OS upgrades. It reverts back to what Apple wants it to be.