Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
They're also fowl.

?

turkey.jpg

?

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK

images

You know what I mean :p

I've not drunk beer in around two years though so I'm probably out of touch, I just can't imagine Fosters or Carlsberg taste any less like piss than they did.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
They're not my favourite by a long way. Grolsch seems to be my current lager of choice, although I'd rather an ale or bitter TBH.

covisio

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
UK
Do your research, O.P. "Budweiser" correctly describes a beer brewed in, or in the style of beers brewed in Böhmisch Budweis in the Czech Republic.

Budweiser Budvar is simply one producer of 'Budweis' beer and has actually been producing a Budweis for LESS TIME than Anheuser-Busch, so therefore it is nowhere near the 'original' Budweis.

That is not to say that one is better than the other, I don't have a great opinion on the matter.

However, I would say that Bud, the US product, has its place as a refreshing liquid when ice cold. I have very fond memories of sitting in Central Park on a blazing hot day in 1989 while the 'ice man' came round on his delivery bike, the front basket of which was filled with pint cans of Bud nestled in ice cubes. I can testify that I was genuinely refreshed.

Guinness on the other hand is a whole different kettle of fish, and is one of the most clevery marketed, and misinformed upon drinks in the world. It is sold as inherently Irish, yet it started off as very much an English drink, a porter from London. It is still the most popular drink in Ireland, but certainly in my experience many younger people prefer drinking bottled beers such as Bud.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Whilst you're right that many of us would struggle picking out our favourite beer brands from a line up it would be easy to spot the one that doesn't actually taste of beer at all, namely Budweiser.

Very true. I was over a friends house the other day. We get together regularly for beer tasting, always having some micro offering to try. One day he slipped me a Bud Light. Damned near threw up.
But let people drink what they want. I really don't care to get into some petty argument about what they "should be drinking". My little beer secret: When I am cutting the lawn and it's real hot, I actually like a High Life on occasion. Diss me for THAT and you'll see a bottle upside you're pretentious head.
:)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I actually like High Life...I like all sorts of different beers, but I'm not a beer snob. I don't mind Labatt Blue or Yuengling either - some macrobrews are just fine by me.

But not Budweiser. Or PBR. Or Coors.

Antares

macrumors 68000
Budweiser, Miller, PBR, Old Style, Lone Star, etc. are all very similar. They are great to drink after any strenuous exercise, running, biking, etc. In fact, I defy you name any type of beer that is better to drink, afterward. The "lightness" of those type of beers is what makes them ideal. They are very refreshing.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Budweiser, Miller, PBR, Old Style, Lone Star, etc. are all very similar. They are great to drink after any strenuous exercise, running, biking, etc. In fact, I defy you name any type of beer that is better to drink, afterward. The "lightness" of those type of beers is what makes them ideal. They are very refreshing.

You're joking, right? There is absolutely zero nutritional benefit of these crappy beers that are brewed with rice grain.

I suggest ALL OF YOU, go out, and sample beer. I've become a bit of a beer snob, but it's for the better. I now know what I really, really like.

Favorite Beers:

Pliny the Elder
Full Sail IPA
Firestone DBA
Firestone Union Jack
Stone IPA

I like hoppy, higher BU beers. Some people like the fruity, mild beers. To each his own.

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
There seems to be a bit of beer snobbery going on here. I don't particularly like stouts (apart from the odd Caffrey's) and don't like standard lagers, the likes of Tennents, Carling, McEwans... but I will drink a Bud. It's cheap mass produced fizzy water, but hey it's better than not having a beer. I also like Fosters, Carlsberg, and Rolling Rock (which if anybody knows where to get them in this country I'd be eternally grateful).

I've been in Belgium and had a Hoegaarden and didn't particularly like it. I've been in Leuvern and had a Stella and it was much better than the Welsh copy you get in this country... but I'd still drink it. But Jupiler is by far my favorite!:)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
There seems to be a bit of beer snobbery going on here. I don't particularly like stouts (apart from the odd Caffrey's) and don't like standard lagers, the likes of Tennents, Carling, McEwans... but I will drink a Bud. It's cheap mass produced fizzy water, but hey it's better than not having a beer. I also like Fosters, Carlsberg, and Rolling Rock (which if anybody knows where to get them in this country I'd be eternally grateful).

My uncle loves Rolling Rock....I'm not a fan, buit will drink it if it's cold and there's nothing else. :D But like I said, I'll drink a Miller High Life or Labatt Blue too, so while I loves me some fancy microbrew, I'm not averse to high-volume lager. I like Stella Artois too, even though we get the crappy export version here in the states. Also Becks.

Lately I've been drinking a lot of Pilsener Urquell.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
I have to confess, I enjoy Sam Adams.

With the exception of the cherry wheat (Yuck!), their entire line up is top notch. Boston and winter lager have to be my favorites, the imperial white is also quite good.

Of course, I also have to say I like Magic Hat and Blue Moon quite a bit too.

Budweiser though? Blech. That falls right in line with Natural Ice and others in the cheap beer category; most of which I can't stand. When it comes to piss-water I suppose I'm mostly partial to Coors and PBR (for the really cheap occasions), but that's mostly due to monetary issues while in college, not preference.

Less Bud anywhere in the world means its a better world...

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
You have obviously never had a Newcastle that has gone skunky. I love Newcastle, but I hate those clear bottles.
I've never really been a fan of Newcastle, so I've definitely never had a skunked one.
US-made Budwesier is foul. Though, America does not have a monopoly on horrible beer, as anyone who has had a Foster's, Carlsberg, Heineken, Tecate or Molson will attest.
You forgot Corona! They flat out tell you their beer will probably be skunked before you drink it, so put a lime in it!
No, that's bourbon.
Budweiser, Miller, PBR, Old Style, Lone Star, etc. are all very similar. They are great to drink after any strenuous exercise, running, biking, etc. In fact, I defy you name any type of beer that is better to drink, afterward.
I generally stick to water after exercising, but I like wheat beers on hot days. Still light, and no rice.
Rolling Rock (which if anybody knows where to get them in this country I'd be eternally grateful).
Ask A-B InBev.

MotleyPete

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Blighty
Give me good British Real Ale/Cask Ale any day. Quality beers with with character, a full body & depth of flavour. Mmmm.

covisio

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
UK
MotleyPete is a man of taste and distinction. Pay heed to his wise words.

For those with beards and home knitwear, and who like a bit of cask beverage, may I recommend The Brewery Tap in Chester, UK (my home town).

It's owned by local independent brewery Spitting Feathers and has their own products plus plenty of guest ales. It's situated in a magnificent Jacobean great hall, part of Gamul House, where King Charles I stayed in 1645 during the Battle of Rowton Moor (which he lost), prior to losing his head.

The food is also good.

I don't think they sell Bud., but I may be wrong.

MotleyPete

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Blighty
Independent brewery, guest ales, novelty beer titles, associations with historical battles. This is all music to the ale drinkers ears.

Sounds great.

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
Independent brewery, guest ales, novelty beer titles, associations with historical battles. This is all music to the ale drinkers ears.

Sounds great.

I remember a South Australian brewer bottling duff-beer ala the Simpsons in the nineties. I think it was just their usual beer in cans etc made to look like the original duff package. Once the copyright holders got wind of it that was the end of that idea. Still I believe an unopened 6 pack or carton goes for quite a bit on auction. But there's certainly great variety of beers out there including one I read about just recently that has a 40% rating, cost more than $200 for 1 stubby and comes in a special package. Apparently it doesn't taste all that nice but after a couple of those I doubt you'd notice the taste or how much lighter your wallet had become! :eek:

covisio

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
UK
... there's certainly great variety of beers out there including one I read about just recently that has a 40% rating, cost more than $200 for 1 stubby and comes in a special package. Apparently it doesn't taste all that nice but after a couple of those I doubt you'd notice the taste or how much lighter your wallet had become! :eek:

Have a look at Brew Dog. One of their beers, Tactical Nuclear Penguin comes in at 32% ABV. Very expensive to buy. Nothing more than a publicity stunt, really. They release a beer, put something controversial on the label, questions get asked in Parliament and bingo!, loads of free publicity and street cred.

Rather have a nice bottle of single malt meself.:p

Oh, just had a look at their site and they've had to release a 41% ABV entitled "Sink The Bismark" in order to combat a 40 percenter from Germany.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
For those with beards and home knitwear, and who like a bit of cask beverage, may I recommend The Brewery Tap in Chester, UK (my home town).

It's owned by local independent brewery Spitting Feathers and has their own products plus plenty of guest ales. It's situated in a magnificent Jacobean great hall, part of Gamul House, where King Charles I stayed in 1645 during the Battle of Rowton Moor (which he lost), prior to losing his head.

Imagine how history would have been different if Charles had stayed away from the ale taps the night before..... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.