Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBX

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2007
"Meanwhile, AT&T reveals that Apple will no longer receive the revenue sharing from each users plan"

So if this is the case, then surely iPhone users on AT&T will have to pay for any future software update the same as iPOD Touch owners. e.g. the "January Software Update"

I know it was said that iPhone users were paying for this as part of there monthly bill but nothing has been mentioned about this...

Are all carriers going down this route or could we see some people getting any future update for "free" if they are in a country where :apple: still gets a monthly kick back?

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
"Meanwhile, AT&T reveals that Apple will no longer receive the revenue sharing from each users plan"

So if this is the case, then surely iPhone users on AT&T will have to pay for any future software update the same as iPOD Touch owners. e.g. the "January Software Update"

I know it was said that iPhone users were paying for this as part of there monthly bill but nothing has been mentioned about this...

Are all carriers going down this route or could we see some people getting any future update for "free" if they are in a country where :apple: still gets a monthly kick back?

iPhone updates will still be free, as Apple is still getting money from AT&T in some form.

There would be no exclusive contract if all it said was, "Alright, we're going to sell your phone and you make it so that no other provider is allowed to sell it, k thanks."

CBX

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2007
iPhone updates will still be free, as Apple is still getting money from AT&T in some form.

There would be no exclusive contract if all it said was, "Alright, we're going to sell your phone and you make it so that no other provider is allowed to sell it, k thanks."

Sure they will get the money on a new contract activation (buying an iPhone) possible higher for people moving from other networks. But I dont see where else they will get money from AT&T et al from in some "other form".

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Let's just put it this way, no matter what, Apple is making a lot more money off each iPhone user than it is off each iPod Touch user. They've stated that all software updates will be free for iPhone users. I doubt they'll back down from that.

CBX

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Im not really to fussed if they charge or not as the 3G phone is a good deal for what I want.

Just thought I would put it out there as a question though :)

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
The free updates are due to how Apple handles the accounting for iPhone sales at their end, not from ATT revenue sharing. They've said that the accounting format of the iPhone and Apple TV are both like this, allowing for free updates. And :apple:tv doesn't have any 'relationship' with any company outside of Apple...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.