No more incase slider?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thecellar, Jul 16, 2009.

1. thecellar macrumors regular

How come the incase sliders are not available on apple.com any more? Anyone else notice this..Am i just missing them on the page, i dont see them

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You are not missing anything, my guess is there a new one to come.

3. thecellar thread starter macrumors regular

did'nt think of that..if so, i hope it has something to protect from the back/bezel scratches...i like the sliders anyway but..

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Perhaps the complaints that they somehow cause scratches on the iPhone made Apple remove them from their site.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes, but they left all of the other ones, just no 3G. I also doubt that they would ever do such a thing, Incase has to be one of their most popular selling brands?

6. thecellar thread starter macrumors regular

yeah , the apple stores is still carrying them...not as wide of selection as online but they still had them in stock

7. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

All the sliders cause so much scratching. I recently had been using incase for around 4 months. The back of my phone looks awful. I take it off occasionally and clean it out, but if dirt gets in when it's on, it scratches the phone by taking the case off. Plus, it will come apart about 1/2 inch in your pocket quite a bit, and closing it up all the time left a nasty mark on both sides of my phone where the two pieces come together.

Not a hit on incase at all, I just think I would prefer a case where the slider part snaps together. My two cents...

8. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Why Not just go to Incase.com? You can buy them there. I have the slider for my 3G. Next to the volume switch towards the back of the phone, there are scuffs on both sides of the phone from the case coming in contact with the plastic. I called Apple and they said they will replace it. Other than that, I love it.

9. pablo7 macrumors 6502

Griffin reveal scratches the chrome too ......:mad:

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

11. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

What I would do to try to keep the back from scratching was put my left hand on the bottom part and pull up on the phone and with my right hand on the top part pull down. So when I pulled down it would somewhat keep the phone away from the case as you pull out. I have no idea if that made sence to you guys, but it seemed to work for me.

The problem with my case wasn't the dust under it, but that the case itself had like a plastic bump in it that would scratch it ever time I take it off.

12. army91c macrumors 6502a

I just picked up a slider from going naked less a BG or IS and I'm happy with it. It has never come apart in my pocket and I haven't really noticed any scratches from the case. I'm diggin it so far.

13. zigmondski macrumors newbie

Trust me, do not get one of these. I bought one, put it on the phone, took it off and the metal was scratched. Took it straight back to the shop.

Seriously, don't do it. Got a Sena Ultra Slim leather slip case for it, and it's brilliant.

14. moka macrumors 6502a

have used the incase slider cases for my first gen for more than a year and now on my 3GS, nothing but great that i can say about the case, very slick and nice looking, yet functional

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Doubtful since this is one of the most popular cases for the iPhone.

16. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Those of you with issues, are you putting sand inside the case before you use it or something? I don't get it.

I spent months looking for a case for my 3G when I bought it 2 months after release last year. My first Apple purchase ever. I chose the Incase slider matte black. Put it on and never looked back. I took the case off several times for cleaning and other things. Maybe a total of 5 times.

Upon removal for selling, not a single scratch at all. The phone was dropped once in a parking lot from 5 feet up. It was set on rough surfaces, slid across anything and everything and was in my pocket. Again, no issues.

My 3GS now resides in the case. I have a new one on the way as the rubber bumper is coming up on the bottom part of the slider - Incase is sending it free under warranty.

I would not use any other case. Hell, even my brother has the same case. It is the BEST case out there. Period.

17. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I've had a Slider on my 3GS for the last week or so. Great so far. I read some people's reviews saying it affected their reception, but can't say I've noticed any difference...

BTW, does anyone know the best way to take the case off? The instructions were a little bit lacking for this - I usually resort to brute force!

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While I own one, I no longer use it. Not because it scratched up my phone but the vaja case offers better protection for my phone.

Anyways to your question, one of the things I noticed with the slider case was its propensity to accumulate dust/debris around the edges and the rubber strips in the back also seem to be a dust magnet. If the debris is left unchecked or there when removing/adding the phone into the case, it will most definately scratch the back of the phone.

All in all, I was pretty pleased with the case until I took it off and saw all the crap that collected around the edges. I typically keep my phone in my pocket and I assume the stuff came from there over the months of usage.

19. Felder71 macrumors member

Might I recommend an Agent18 Slim Ecoshield? They snap on the front and back so no sliding and scratching, they are very slim, they cover the edges of Power Support screen protectors so no chance for dust to get under the protector, have some nice grippy edges, and come with a dock piece so that the iPhone can docked while the case is still on. It's definitely my favorite case for the iPhone and reasonably priced.

20. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Thats pretty much it. Another way I use is pushing down on the phone on the headphone jack while holding the sides of the case/phone. It allows the phone to slide out enough to get it going and you can do the rest by hand.

21. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've had Marware, Griffin and Belkin cases and they all seem to scratch no matter how much cleaning and prepping I do before installation. That's an ongoing problem.....:eek::eek::eek:

22. thecellar thread starter macrumors regular

i really like the sliders too, although i have had issues with the scratches on the back, i think im more to blame for taking it off and exposing the phone all the time. ...i really prefer the slider though, i was actually going on to get another one and noticed they were gone. Picked one up at BestBuy today.