Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
:(:(:(

Any alternatives you guys could recommend? Just encase my beast of a classic dies on me. I don't know of any other MP3 player with such high disk space and perfect navigation.

MBPiPTiMiP4S

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012

Any alternatives you guys could recommend? Just encase my beast of a classic dies on me. I don't know of any other MP3 player with such high disk space and perfect navigation.

Astell & Kern AK100 Silver.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 122

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I wouldn't even go anywhere else. Get a 128gb iTouch.
Might be a viable solution for some, but I have over 128GB of music. And I'd rather not have to use a touchscreen. Or iOS.

Astell & Kern AK100 Silver.
Now this looks nice. I'll have to look into it so I'm prepared for why my good old classic dies (which hopefully will be in the next millennia, but regretfully I'm kinda rough with my devices).

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Might be a viable solution for some, but I have over 128GB of music. And I'd rather not have to use a touchscreen. Or iOS.

I agree it's not ideal I just don't think anybody else makes a portable music player like Apple does. I would take it for what it is, put my most important music on it, and deal with it..

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I am currently pursuing various avenues for when that sorry day comes.

Pffffff, and they have the nerve to use this icon on their redesigned nav bar:

Yes, I know. I can see it, as well.

Now, it is entirely possible that this is being kept in reserve for a final money-making racket, - as, given the rising prices (classical economics this, all to do with supply and demand) and limited supply of the remaining versions of the iPod classic for sale, it might occur to Apple to offer the introduction of a 'special edition' iPod classic to the salivating (and nostalgia driven) masses, that limited, and ageing (but quite discerning) demographic that are disdained by most…....

Knowing it for the cynical market-driven exercise it might indeed be, I am quite aware that I might fall for it myself. Worse still, they could actually adjust their price (quite a bit) upwards, market it (cynically) as the 'final special edition', or, 'your last chance/opportunity to buy a bit of music history'.

As there are sufficient numbers of us - most indeed, a little older than your average Apple buying demographic, possibly a bit better off, (as we usually have jobs) who could afford to be ripped off with such a device as we like having something which can carry and play our vast music libraries (remember, young 'uns - a lot of our generation, and those even older than us, sometimes defined ourselves/themselves, - or aided that process of identification, in terms of identity, cultural & social and political choices & preferences by the sort of music we played and enjoyed).

This is because music mattered in the 60s, 70s, and 80s….indeed, as a student, when visiting a guy's house for the first time, I used to cast a swift, and sharp eye over music and book collections when checking out bookshelves and music collections - as it tended to offer a rapid short hand as to what framed the area which occupied the space between his ears, and could offer some fairly reliable clues as to attitudes and outlook, capacity for critical thought, interest in the wider world, political and socio-cultural attitudes and so on - it would probably sell in significant numbers.

Last edited:

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
The daft thing is - is that I'm more than willing to pay out £200-£300 on an upgraded ipod with an SSD drive, this means that much to me. I do not understand this mad rush to switch to cloud based services, when they are quite frankly, nowhere near up to the job.

I've got a library of 15000 songs that over an 8 year period have been categorised, filed in playlists and rated with meticulous attention to detail, why the hell would I trust all this data to a company that only recently has been hacked for celebrity photographs. How do I know my data is safe? I live only 20 miles from a major British city and I can barely get a 2G signal where I live let alone 3G or 4G - which also costs me money. With all this in mind I'm obviously going to keep my files locally, which removes any and all need for these services at a stroke.

This is not me being some kind of technophobe - my household has just about every gadget going, this is me being extremely inconvenienced by an arrogant company (that I have spent a lot of money with) that has removed an important product line without providing an adequate replacement.

dauber

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
Count me as one of the die-hard iPod Classic customers.

- I love music. LOVE music. I NEED 160gb for my music collection -- especially because there are some things I want lossless, and the MP3s I do have on my Classic are compressed with a very high kbps rate -- over 200kbps. I need my sound. What other player will give me that capacity? (Or at least allow me to stick in whatever size memory card I want? Yeah, there's the 128gb iPod Touch, but how much of that 128 is actually taken up by existing apps, including that damn stock app that you can't get rid of? (I do keep some MP3s on my iPhone in case of emergency, but I really, REALLY hate the music player interface.) Plus, read on...

- The click wheel is important. Let's say I'm in shuffle mode, and I'm walking down the street or driving and want to move to the next song. I can push a button without even looking down and get the next track. Can you do that with any other iPod?

- Sometimes if I discover that I have a file I need to transfer, I can use my iPod Classic in a pinch as if it were a thumb drive.

- My wife's 160gb iPod Classic started going bad recently, but she replaced it with an iPod Nano, because she doesn't need nearly 160gb. Overall, she doesn't really like it, again for the touch screen...and she says "shake to shuffle does NOT cut it!" She was actually thinking of switching back to the Classic. She actually suggested after this announcement that we just go out and buy replacement iPod Classics NOW for when ours eventually do bite the dust...only to find that it's nearly impossible. :(

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
I just wish we were given a choice instead of being dictated to, everyone has different needs with their music, from casual listeners through OCD library maniacs like myself through to full on audiophiles, point being it should fit your needs and lifestyle not inconvenience you by making it the other way around, which is what's happening now. The sheer arrogance of Apple knows no bounds sometimes.

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
wow this does suck

what about all the automotive applications, where you just leave you ipod stashed in your vehicle somewhere for your factory system or after market headunit to pull music off of it...

i guess maybe in some ways you could install a Touch and leave it in the car but im not sure the power down, power up properties would be the same...

ttate90303

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
California
wow this does suck

what about all the automotive applications, where you just leave you ipod stashed in your vehicle somewhere for your factory system or after market headunit to pull music off of it...

i guess maybe in some ways you could install a Touch and leave it in the car but im not sure the power down, power up properties would be the same...

Ok I'll chime in here. I use an iPod 160GB unit on a Harley-Davidson Road Glide that is highly customized. I can use the JVC head unit to play music and videos from the iPod. Yeah call me crazy but it's what I wanted and enjoy. So when the call went out for the iPod Classic to be discontinued I immediately ordered a spare from Best Buy.
As for power up when I tried the iPod Touch it takes a moment to wake up and skipping is instantaneous but space is a big factor. So the Classic is the model for me.

So if you can find units and need one grab it. Good luck.

PS - yes this insane Road Glide sports Inifinity Kappas 6.5 in the fairing and two 5x7's per saddlebag powered by a Nesa Vision TD-48 amp. All driven thru a JVC touchscreen head unit (controlled via the handlebar buttons). Crazy but clear with no distortion.

HunterGather

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2008
- The click wheel is important. Let's say I'm in shuffle mode, and I'm walking down the street or driving and want to move to the next song. I can push a button without even looking down and get the next track. Can you do that with any other iPod?

This was a problem the first time I got the original iPod touch. It was hard getting used to having to reach in my pocket to change the song vs touching my pants pocket (turning volume up or down was just as simple wipe on my jeans).

But just get a pair of headphones with a 3 button mic/controller (like the apple ones). Life saver.

Vol up/down, play/pause, and push play button twice to advance next track. (make sure the one you get can do that, as not all do).

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
Would that have the ability to talk to iTunes? There's a picture on the web page that suggests this but it doesn't explicitly say anything about it, plus, how much do these things cost? It looks pretty high end.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012

Ebay, search for ipod 5.5 new hard drive new battery, the ipod 5.5 (aka ipod video 2nd model) had the best sound and no useless crap like movie playback (although I tested mine and it can run ghostbusters from the App Store....)

HunterGather

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2008
You mean fiddling with it in the car? I guess I'm so used to just simply using it the same way when driving, I barely have to look at it (that, and just activating the display will have a controller widget on the screen right away).

rmsanger

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2014
Would that have the ability to talk to iTunes? There's a picture on the web page that suggests this but it doesn't explicitly say anything about it, plus, how much do these things cost? It looks pretty high end.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-high-res-portable-music-player

Here is a link for reviews and a place to ask questions to said owners. Great forum for hi-fi related products.

official thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I highly doubt Apple are gonna stop selling a high capacity iPod choice. They'll replace it with something.

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
I guess apple has completely said goodbye. they even changed the nav bar icon for iPod in the Apple Store..

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    22 KB · Views: 125

rmsanger

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2014
My FiiO X5 has been ordered... still awaiting feedback on some research for the mem cards. Would love 512 gig capacity as that would rock my socks.

I've got a ton of .raw .flac and apple lossless material that I'd like to have in 1 central mobile repository.

iOzzie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
Melbourne
My FiiO X5 has been ordered... still awaiting feedback on some research for the mem cards. Would love 512 gig capacity as that would rock my socks.

I've got a ton of .raw .flac and apple lossless material that I'd like to have in 1 central mobile repository.

Please post back or PM me with a quick review after you receive it, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.