All iPads No more iTunes... impact on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Richard8655, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

Richard8655

With iTunes probably ending, where does that leave syncing, backup, restore, upgrade, etc. via computer? A replacement app or iCloud only? Thoughts?

2. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

Now wouldn’t it be nice if iOS 13 ‘actually’ brought in Finder?

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I use iMazng for backup and restore etc.

I don’t think there will be any major impact. Apple will integrate such features in their new app, for the iTunes users.

4. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

I suppose they might finally just allow drag and drop between Mac/iOS device using finder for files, videos, music etc? Not sure as far as backup/restore goes, particularly if you have backups in iTunes already...

5. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

It will be in the Music app.

Apple is just killing iTunes because that’s what you do when you have a very recognizable brand that’s deeply associated with music - you kill it and replace it with a generic name.

6. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

I agree. I believe it will still sync with the “music” or whatever they are gonna call it.

7. muzzy996 macrumors 6502

Not worried in the slightest - I haven’t used iTunes in ages (I’m all Android for phones and iPad for tablets). I do wonder though what Windows users that heavily rely on iTunes for podcast and playlist management are going to do when Apple stops further development on iTunes. I haven’t seen a clear indication on tech sites on whether individual app development will be cross platform, most seem to only discuss MacOS support (which makes sense).

8. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

For podcasts, can't one simply obtain them via the iOS Podcast app? Curious...

9. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

I doubt there will be an impact.

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

11. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Of course they do, but it would be absurd to take away local backup capabilities.

12. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

My thoughts are wait until wait they say at WWDC tomorrow.

13. Richard8655 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Richard8655

But it's always fun to speculate. I guess that's why it's called Macrumors.

14. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

I'd be shocked if that all went away. I am expecting that they will take the bloated, overweight, sluggish pig that is iTunes and split it into several smaller, sluggish piglet apps that we will still be cursing.

15. Newtons Apple, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have had iCloud backups not work before, they need a local backup method, too!

16. Richard8655 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Richard8655

And not only that, would rather not eat up iCloud limited free space and rather use local storage with plenty of capacity.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I do not use the iCloud except for the iPhone backup. All data and docs are on DropBox. I also back up my iPhone, iPads on iTunes.

I keep most of my data on my devices, that is why I bought them with max memory.

18. Richard8655, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019

Richard8655 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Richard8655

I buy my iPads with the lowest possible memory (frugality or cheapness, I guess), and just keep everything to my Mac's (Mac Mini) 1TB SSD drive in my WiFi network, where there's plenty of space. I also try to avoid iCloud except for sharing photos between devices.

I see Apple just announced a tool will now be located via the sidebar in Finder on Macs for syncing, backup, restore, etc. to replace that iTunes functionality for IOS devices.

19. darthastuart macrumors member

I wonder how this will work with an iTunes library, though? I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with iTunes but I do have a library that goes back a few years with playlists, smart playlists, etc.

So I wonder if we will be able to make an iPad’s music library the “home” library and sync from it...so that we won’t need to hook up to a PC or Mac to sync from there anymore?

I’ve avoided Apple Music and iTunes Sync because they have really messed up my mp3 tags in the past (I have a lot of bootlegs, alternate versions and live versions, and it just retags them wholesale) so I hope this doesn’t create reliance on that...I would love to have a “home” music library on iPad that I can sync to my iPhone somehow. Hmm.

20. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

The Music app still retains audio/video/picture synchronizing with iOS devices. You can use the Music app to backup/restore data. You can also use Finder to backup/restore data. Finder and Music display the same UI to perform backup/restore functions.

At least, this is how it worked for me so far.

21. darthastuart macrumors member

Thanks...so based on this, safe to say that a Mac or PC is still necessary to maintain an offline music library at this point...