No more LIVE!!! (for the time being)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Jan 29, 2008.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

My first year of the 360 was fantastic, we just finally got broadband and now with the 360 and LIVE I ventured onto the interstellar albatross that is the inter-web (yes I have been hanging out with Jeff Minter) and found it to be a great craic filled with fun and games for everyone

Second year of the 360 and in April I decided I no longer wanted to be so active member of the xbox clan I had joined and slowly calmed things down. Most games I no longer ended up playing online and LIFE™ was really kicking up with all manner of things going on that to be honest LIVE™ just didn't seem like the place to be.

So this Jan 2008, my LIVE™ subscription expires and I have decided not to renew it. Of course this may only be temporary and in a few months may decide to go back to GOLD but until them I'm really not too fussed.

I do think its a great service and worth the $50 per year asking price, but only of course if your making decent usage out of it. At the moment I'm happy to make do with PSN even if it isn't as feature complete, it serves my needs for the time being until I can muster the energy to take on LIVE™ gaming once more.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sh*t I haven't renewed my live account in almost a year now and I don't feel like I'm missing anything...only game I played alot on live was R6V....right now PSN is serving all of my online gaming needs...for free.

Bless

3. rotlex macrumors 6502a

I just canceled my gold membership last month after realizing I hardly ever do multiplayer on line anymore. To be honest, any multiplayer gaming I'm looking to do at this point is nicely covered, for FREE, on PSN. :) Maybe it's just me, and the fact that there are not as many people there, but I find that even random games I might join in on have a higher level of maturity than most of what I had seen on Live over the past year.

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I personally, when I get my 360, am not gonna bother with Live GOLD.

I only really play Starcraft Brood War and Doom II using ZDaemon online. Haha.

Plus then most of the people on LIVE are screaming d*ckholes or 12 year olds that love using the n-word and f-bombs, as well as showing off their blatant homophobia to the world.

Espically in Halo 3. *Shudders.*

5. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

The way people are talking on this thread makes me think that Nintendo has been right all along with their decidedly less aggressive online support.

I can't see the appeal in yelling back at dorky 12 year olds either, most of the XBox Live tales I hear involve those little wippersnappers.

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I haven't turned any of my consoles on in about a month and a half... not the Xbox 360, not the PS3, nor the Wii.

If I never see you on LIVE again, well, adieu, MRU.

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm not dead....... or am I ? :confused:

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I'd consider myself a fairly hardcore (in terms of the numbers of hours) gamer, have played LAN games a few times, but most of my online experiences have been more annoying than fun.

The huge difference in skill levels in online games can be offputting, but it's the abuse that's the killer. Give me a game with no audio or text messaging, if there is any communications between players, let it be pre-formed messages selected from a list.

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well if there is voice chat a server simply has to be moderated ... and with moderated i mean "somebody sitting there physically"

either that or you only allow people who are on friends lists to communicate

for text it is less worse but servers with admins are still so much better

funny is the older i grow the less i'm interested in online games ...sure LAN parties are exciting but i rather sit down with friends and play some game (guitar hero, mario party, super monkey ball etc.) in front of one TV and laugh all together and then do something else together if it's going out, go to a party or just play some old school board games

single player wise i found that i simply my old love of colorful jump and runs and PC strategy games

10. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

Ironically, I just renewed mine 5 days ago. For the amount of enjoyment that I get out of Live in my free time, $50 a year (7 cents a day) isn't that big of a deal to me. I'm glad that PSN is free otherwise I'd have to pay for that as well.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

This is exactly why I always complained about Live Gold costing money, and people like you always go "the extra features are worth it you whiner!" :p

I'm not a consistent online gamer. I play online occasionally. Some days I feel like it. I play local multiplayer and single player much more than online, but I do occasionally.

So I'd much rather have the free service I use occasionally than the full-featured one that costs money.

12. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

I think I am in the same boat. $50 a year isn't that much to ask, yet I still don't feel like I get my money's worth each time around. When I get my PS3 blu ray player, I'll probably start buying the multi-console games for it instead of my 360.

13. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

I LOVE xbox live.

I don't play games unless I'm online.

14. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I don't think I could be without mine. Fair enough if you don't feel your getting your moneys worth.

15. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I was pretty annoyed with Live members until I started playing CoD4. Great community, very few kids, and it's hard enough that the "internet tough guy" usually gets killed a lot and quits playing soon.

This is one of those games that you need voicechat to win, so most people actually use the mic for tactical stuff instead of blind racism.

If you haven't played this game yet I suggest you log off now, go to your local retailer and buy the best online FPS game since the half life mods.

16. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I'm right there with you. CoD4 has made me lose interest in Halo 3 incredibly quickly. Most of the people in the rooms are really cool, even when I was running around getting killed constantly and costing my team.

My online/offline gameplay percentages probably break down to 80/20. Live is pretty great. I have no experience with PSN, though I'm looking forward to trying it out when I get my PS3. Free is nice.

17. PhatBoyG macrumors regular

PhatBoyG

Yeah Rock Band multi-player has been a blast, particularly with new songs to play each week.

A lot of the casual arcade titles are great too (Carcasonne, Uno) for just a relaxing game before bed.

18. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

What section are you classed in on XBL? I'm set to recreational, and most of the people I meet online are older and tend to be reasonably decent. I can't say I've experienced some of the appalling stuff that people always talk about.

19. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I always set mine to either recreational or family. Never had the problems too much of back talk.

I think if you have it set to underground or pro - that's where you get the majority of that rubbish.

20. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

I'd feel like such a dick calling myself a "pro" or living in the "underground".

Mind you, they should tell it like it is and call "recreation" "noob". ;)

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I didn't bother with Xbox Live and I doubt I'll even hook up my PS3 online. I think I dabbled on Worms and Star Wars online on the PSP and had a few matches of Strikers online too. Outside of Valves online efforts I don't see much point in playing online.

I really don't see the point in MMO's :eek: I take grand storylines and intense local multiplayer over online any day of the week when it comes to console gaming.

And I really don't like talking in games. Thank god for muting. It's really bad on TF2 when someone self-assigns the role of leader, **** I'll win the game on my bill if I have to.

22. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

isn't a game like TF2 built around communication and team work though? Wouldn't not talking and such make it harder to win? Just asking because I haven't played it for more than about 15 minutes.

but anyway, I wish my friends actually bought games for their 360 or got PS3's because online squad knda gaming would be awesome with friends, since chatting away wouldn't be annoying. Better than some dumbass racist dude with a thick drawl telling "toby" to "git'r'dun boy"....

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Technically TF2 is for that, but there's little strategy and planning in public games. All the important messages are spoken by the characters "Sentry ahead!" and all that.

24. tip macrumors 6502

tip

I hate LIVE (yeah, I'm a current subscriber).

Two main reasons:

1) Unreliable. Huge issues between October 2007 to January 2008.
    2) Doesn't use servers for gameplay. It uses p2p game hosts. It doesn't scale well at all for certain games (and for some, it's downright unusable (example: CoD3)). I had read that some PS3 game had the capability for a 60 player session - in LIVE's current form, this is impossible.

Personally, I believe p2p game hosts should be moved to Silver. Gold should use actual game servers.

25. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

same halo 3 ftw ^_^