Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Looking at the tech specs page for the new MacBook Pro, it looks like matte is no longer an option. Unfortunately, because of my abnormal vision I really want/need a matte screen.

This might push me in the direction of the MacBook, since the matte screen and the larger screen were the two major reasons I wanted a MacBook Pro. I have two hopes:

1. Can I get a static cling film that will adhere to the screen and make it matte, but still look good?

2. (Wishfully thinking) Perhaps they eliminated the matte option because the new screen is actually not as reflective as the old screen.

Does anyone know of this de-glossing film? Does it exist? Does it work? As for the second hope, I should be able to figure that out by simply visiting an Apple store.

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
Anti-glare screen coverings exist, but I would wait until they make one specifically for the new machines.

They work fine, but I think it's excruciating to get them on without bubbles and things??

Rlkv011

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Isn't the display covered with glass? I could be wrong but if you put a matte display under the glass wouldn't it appear to be glossy anyway?

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Isn't the display covered with glass? I could be wrong but if you put a matte display under the glass wouldn't it appear to be glossy anyway?

There is a wide range of surface finishes you can put on glass. The chemical composition of the glass, the microscopic roughness of the surface, and various coatings can be used to create the whole spectrum from ultra-glossy to anti-reflective camera lenses to foggy bathroom windows. There are ways to dull the reflections and glare on a glass screen (short of covering it with plastic, which is what I may resort to).

MMPascal

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Germany
This is my very first post here, I been waiting for the Mac Book Pro over a year now and was looking to get a 17" one. Question is now if you can really reduce the glossy part with such stickers or covers and the colors still be the same, I am a professional graphic designer and photographer and I be working on the road a lot so I do need a laptop and cant depend on a stationary screen.

belard

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2008
17"

This is my very first post here, I been waiting for the Mac Book Pro over a year now and was looking to get a 17" one. Question is now if you can really reduce the glossy part with such stickers or covers and the colors still be the same, I am a professional graphic designer and photographer and I be working on the road a lot so I do need a laptop and cant depend on a stationary screen.

If you want a 17" one don't worry. They haven't been replaced, just specced up a bit. They still have the matte screen.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

If you want a 17" one don't worry. They haven't been replaced, just specced up a bit. They still have the matte screen.

Just be sure to choose the matte, since they now default to glossy.

Europe calling

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
The Netherlands
Apple needs to rethink their design strategy for the Pro models. No designer at Eizo would get it in their right mind to come up with glossy screens for graphic professionals.
Matte must be an option, unless they want to alienate a large group of their faithfull followers who will to stick to the old model as long as they cann (and hope Apple will wake up)

Jaap

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
Stupid glossy screens.
It's one of those things where if you compare it in the store you say: "oohh glossy! i want one". Then after you come home and start using it, after a while you start to think: "Damn reflections, i should have gotten a matte screen".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.