No More Month to Month in Canada?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FPCat, Mar 17, 2012.

1. FPCat macrumors newbie

I just found out that Rogers, Telus AND Bell aren't supporting month to month plans on the new iPad, you have to subscribe.

I guess I'm returning my iPad Monday, I only use data once in a blue moon. Did I miss this announcement?

2. number84 macrumors 6502

You sign up but it's still mont to month as far as I can tell.

3. FPCat thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a way for them to drain $5 a month from your account. I use the cell data on my iPad maybe twice a year when travelling, the on device sign up was very convenient. If I sign up for this I'm out at least $60 a year for data I'll never use.

I'll swap for the non LTE version Monday, and I'll probably reduce to 16 Gigs since I'll still keep my v1 iPad that they still support on device month to month.

I laugh that Bell and Rogers did this at the same time. Yeah, there's SO much competition in Canada. :confused:

4. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

I dealt with Rogers last night and YES it is still MONTH TO MONTH. You CAN CANCEL AT ANY TIME.

Took a little effort to get he 10Gb for 5 mo. deal. But all is well now.

5. number84 macrumors 6502

That's only for the flex plan. You can still use the prepaid and activate anytime is my understanding.

6. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

No you can't. the Account settings do not show up on the iPad for pre-paid.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

Are you sure that's the case? Here in the US, Verizon and AT&T prompt you to set up a recurring subscription, but you can cancel it at any time.

In any case, it's a bit interesting how the carriers have priced the plans. You pay less for the 5GB plan ($35 vs our $50 - give or take the exchange rate which is about $1:$1 right now), but none of your carriers has a $20 1GB plan for light users (just 250-500MB for $15). I like your $35 plans a lot.

If Verizon would boost their $30 plan to 3GB (or even at $35), I might just set it and forget it, and use the iPad to tether, but for now I'll see if I can make do with the 1GB plan and tether only occasionally (at airports, etc.).

8. FPCat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats the thing, I don't want the $5 a month deal. I wanted to be able to use my credit card to get data if I need it on the road. Calling Rogers to enable/disable to service is a HUGE pain in the ass. This is a major step backwards in device usability.

9. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Yup. It is.

I was unpleasantly surprised that we have jump through hoops this time.

10. number84 macrumors 6502

I see your point. But I guess for me since I don't have a smart phone data plan to begin with $5/month is alright to keep my plan active. A shame though you'd need to call or visit a store each time to enable/disable.

11. FPCat thread starter macrumors newbie

Even if I wanted to call them and sign up there would be an activation fee each time (I know they're waving it right now, but that won't last). They've really destroyed the one useful service they had. It amazes me that they make it difficult for me to give them money in exchange for a service. Even if they charged $10 a month more than they used to it would be useful for me.

12. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Welcome to the Wireless Monopoly in Canada.

Our Gov't needs to step in Fast.