No More Refurbished White Imacs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SuperAcer79, Jul 18, 2008.

1. SuperAcer79 macrumors member

A couple weeks ago, I saw the 24" White Imac offered through Apple's website for $1199, but I don't see it anymore:-( I don't like the new inferior glossy screens as I live in AZ and sit next to a bright window and even with a 95% sunblock screen, light and shadows still come through. So I guess the only place to get a white (matte) screen Imac is craigslist correct? It seems like on craigslist, when I email some people about their computers for sale that have loaded software, they don't have the original discs or have lost the original discs for the operating system. They mark-up the price for software they don't even have discs for. Now I'm thikning about getting an Mac Pro Desktop and adding my own monitor. Can anyone give me suggestions on names of monitors that are not glossy and resemble the matte screens of the old Imacs?

2. showtime macrumors 6502

Just wait for it to come back in stock. Monitor the website regularly as they come and go. Most people have better luck during the late nights/early mornings

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

it has been a year since they were sold new. apple does not continue to offer older models as refurbs forever. It is possible that they are not coming back (but they very well might be).

4. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

if they dont have discs then they didnt pay for it, its pretty typical of used macs to have a pirated OS

5. SuperAcer79 thread starter macrumors member

In the event they don't come back, what monitor best resembles that of the white (matte) Imac?

6. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

An ACD

7. mBurns macrumors 6502

I hate when people load software or an OS on a Mac they're selling used without the CDs. The "extras" are valueless to me!

8. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

They still sell them through the education store i think... if thats of any help... but wether that is institutional education or individual education purchase i don't know.

http://www.apple.com/education/solutions/imac/

I guess they must be just clearing the very last of the stock, they are by far underpowered (and only available in 17 inch) compared to the rest of the mac line(apart from the mini).

9. gentlegiantcrai macrumors regular

he glossy screens is the only thing keeping me from upgrading to the aluminum imacs.

10. kabunaru Guest

11. SuperAcer79 thread starter macrumors member

Acd

DeuceDeuce,
    You mean the white framed Apple Cinema Displays vs the popular 23" aluminum ones, correct?

12. SuperAcer79 thread starter macrumors member

Still no Imacs available

I've checked off and on for the past two weeks and there are still no white Imacs available:( The glossy screen is the only thing keeping me from buying a new Imac. I check local classified ads regularly but I don't seem to be in a big Mac area (phoenix, az).

13. budaapple macrumors regular

try Apple resellers

Try like Small dog Electronics, MacMall, or even a refurbisher like macofalltrades.com. I have had good luck with those folks.
    Good Luck

14. woodlandtrek macrumors member

check out powermax

It looks like Powermax still has the 24 inch 2.16 available new and as open box models here

15. SuperAcer79 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I'll check it out. I hope that people won't start raising the price of the white Imacs because they are out of production.

16. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I highly doubt that.

17. bobylola macrumors newbie

18. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I will sell you my flawless white 24" iMac for $2000, shipped :) It comes with a wireless keyboard and mouse. 2 GB ram, 250 GB HD, 128 mb video card. MATTE SCREEN!!! Best computer I've ever owned. But it's always for sale if the price is right! No defects, flaws, dead pixels, etc. I even have the box!

19. SuperAcer79 thread starter macrumors member

Bought Imac

I'm pleased to let everyone know that last weekend I purchased a very gently used (only 6 months of actual use) 24" White (matte screen) Imac with a 500GB HD, 2MB RAM and the NVidia GEFORCE 7600GT video card---all upgrades/improvements over the standard one for sale refurbished at the AppleStore. I paid $1400. No dead pixels and looks immaculate.

20. kabunaru Guest

Congratulations on the purchase. :)

21. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

That's a pretty nice deal, IMO. Good job shopping around, and enjoy!