No more room in memory?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by katiebee, Jan 4, 2009.

1. katiebee macrumors newbie

Hello so I have recently been trying to save documents and my computer won't let me because it says i do not have any room in my memory. I went into the activity monitor and found that this is true I also found two items, pboard and launchd, that are using a ton of memory (around 400 kb) the only problem is that i cannot figure out what these two items are or how to get rid of them! any suggestions? Thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

First of all, do not confuse memory (RAM) with hard disk space. Running applications save data to your RAM while they are working with it because RAM is a lot faster than a hard drive. However, when your computer turns off or an application quits, the RAM is cleared. Because of this, it is known as volatile memory and is not used for saving documents. It is normal to have little free RAM because it is constantly being shared between running applications.

Your computer is low on hard disk space, that is, space to which it can save files and applications. Try deleting some files that you no longer need. Do not delete anything that you did not put there. That's a recipe for bad things.

3. katiebee thread starter macrumors newbie

oh okay i think i finally get the whole RAM hard disk thing i have been messing those up for a while now! :D the issue is though that i do not think that i am using a ton of hard disk space at least not enough for me to have to delete stuff! is there a way to check what is taking up a lot of space so that i can choose what would be best to delete?!

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can determine the size of a file or folder by selecting it in Finder and going to File -> Get Info. I'd suggest starting in your home folder and digging from there.

Remember:

1 GB = 1,000 MB
    1 MB = 1,000 KB

It's only the stuff that's measured in GB or hundreds of MB that you need to be worried about. Again, don't delete anything that you didn't put there. I suggest staying out of your Library folder altogether.

5. katiebee thread starter macrumors newbie

so 1 GB is the biggest? and where exactly is the home folder? thank you for being patient i really know nothing when it comes to computers!

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

1 GB is the biggest, yes.

If you open a Finder window, your home folder appears in the left sidebar with a little house icon and your name beside it. :)

7. katiebee thread starter macrumors newbie

okay so i went through and the items that were in GB or in hundreds of MB were:
    downloads-762.8 MB
    Music-91.07 GB
    Pictures-308.8 MB
    Limewire (yes i know its horrible)-885.6 MB

are these totally insane cause i don't really want to get rid of my music and it seems kind of weird that it is full cause i only have 1333 songs!

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Your movies are also stored in there. Try deleting some of them.

9. katiebee thread starter macrumors newbie

okay as long as your sure there is no other way to free up some space! Thank you so much for your time and help this problem is just one big stressor and it just doesn't seem right to me since i really don't have that much stuff but if theres not other way i guess ill just get rid of it!:(

10. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

You should get an external Hard drive for storage if you have no space left. Move your music, movies, and other stuff there.

I currently have an older iMac with 160GB HDD inside, and it isn't close to full. My iTunes probably accounts for most space I use on it, and it is roughly 20GB in size.

I do have a few movies, and TV shows backed up, but they're on a 500GB external HDD.

I also backed them up to DVDs because Every HDD will fail eventually. I'm covered for the large files if it goes, all I need to do is make sure I backup my photos and stuff regularly.

11. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

91 GB for 1333 songs? Sure you don't have iphone/ipod apps, Videos, or podcasts as well?

I have 3198 songs and it is 20.49 GB in size.

12. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

13. katiebee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all so much! I think that everyone on the apple support forum has come to a consensus and many of you on here seem to think the same thing! I am going to move my movies and tv shows onto my parents' external hard drive so hopefully that will solve all the problems! Thank you so much!