Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Hi guys, I still remember when we were stuck in 3,5/4” screen because Apple said bigger was not comfortable to handle/use. Since that, they introduced very good designs to adopt much bigger screen with rounded edges. I currently use iPhone Xs max and these round edges really help me to handle it with good feel in the hand. I’m thinking about upgrading to 12 pro max but I’m really worried because it is not only a little bit bigger, It has sharp edges so the the volume felt in hands could be much bigger...
What do you think about?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The new design reminds me of the 4s and 5 (and SE) that i had. I really liked those phones and still have the SE with a new battery. For me, the design will make it easier to hold and not feel so slippery in hand. I am getting the mini model.

Even though you are speaking of the pro max model, i would think the concept would carry over.

Reactions: Gee1 and New York

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
Wait for the reviews. None of us know yet, but a few days and people will have their hands on these phones.

Guda.FL

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2015
Im also surprised that apple had not given demo units to trusted reviewers for hands on color options prior to pre order. I guess they really believe in this phone.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
Hi guys, I still remember when we were stuck in 3,5/4” screen because Apple said bigger was not comfortable to handle/use. Since that, they introduced very good designs to adopt much bigger screen with rounded edges. I currently use iPhone Xs max and these round edges really help me to handle it with good feel in the hand. I’m thinking about upgrading to 12 pro max but I’m really worried because it is not only a little bit bigger, It has sharp edges so the the volume felt in hands could be much bigger...
What do you think about?

I've had a similar thought. I find it's been easier to hold iPads when they have the rounded edges. Since the iPPs got the boxy sides, I find they are less comfortable to hold. This is one of the reasons I'm trying smaller with the 12P this year. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Robbosan

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I've had a similar thought. I find it's been easier to hold iPads when they have the rounded edges. Since the iPPs got the boxy sides, I find they are less comfortable to hold. This is one of the reasons I'm trying smaller with the 12P this year. Fingers crossed!
The iPad edges were only round towards the back, and I agree that that’s more comfortable to hold. The iPhone edges were round all around from front to back though, which many (me included) found to have a slippery soap-like effect. I’m glad that Apple is returning to flat edges for the iPhones, although a half-rounded design like with the pre-4 iPhones would probably also be fine.

Reactions: happy orchard

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
iPad pro 11" is not comfortable without a case with squared off edges, so doubt the the 12 series will be, case makers will love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.