No More Screen Protectors

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sekazi, Jul 17, 2012.

1. sekazi macrumors 6502

Ever since my first iPod touch and iPhone I always put screen protectors on them the day I got them. I used matte protectors.

I got my iPad 3 on launch day and had ordered a screen protector protector for it before I had it. I put it on like usual but there was a dent in the protector right in the middle of the screen. So I get a replacement shipped and take off the protector until it came in.

Well I got the replacement and never put it on. I decided to take on what everyone says about not scratching on my $830 tablet. I went a week then removed the protector from my iPod touch. Less than a week after that it came off my iPhone.

I have yet to get a scratch and cleaning my iPhone or iPod is none existent since being in my pocket cleans them. I really only need to clean my iPad every once in awhile with my smart cover.

Never will I use a screen protector again.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

I would never use a matte screen protector. Everyone I have seen just turns a beautiful screen into a distorted looking screen. I use high transparent screen protectors and will continue to do so.

3. -TYLER macrumors regular

I really like my matte screen protector that I have. Helps a lot with glare.

4. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

For some people screen protectors are a good idea. These displays are not invincible. The oleophobic coating on the display can eventually wear away and make the "glass" somewhat more scratch prone.

All that said, screen protectors also diminish the quality of the display. The crystal clear ones get dirty and scratch easily. The matte ones add a layer of distortion to the screen that may reduce glare (it really doesn't, it just softens it) but ruins the view of super-high density displays.

I go without, but to each their own.

5. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I've received screen protectors as gifts before, but I just can't leave it on there for more than a few days. Quality reduction drives me bonkers. The only concern I've ever had is with a much larger force damaging my iPhone, anyway, such as a bad drop onto concrete. Screen protectors won't protect against a shattered and broken screen... :(

6. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Some of you are obviously using the wrong ones if your screen is looking distorted. Like I've mentioned before to a few on here, get a crystal clear protector like one from power support you can't tell it's on there, it's practically transparent. I've been using these on my iPads for years.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I used a screen protector on one my original iPhone and them on my iPhone 3GS. Considering I put a small scratch on the original iPhone when trying to remove a piece of lint, they are not foolproof.

I decided not to use one on my iPhone 4. No problems. Haven't used one on my iPhone 4S, again with no trouble. My iPad 2 did get a couple of scratches on it from one time my nephews and their cousins got ahold of it. Maybe it would've helped, but the scratches were very minor. With my third-gen iPad, I just make sure those kids are more careful with it.

The smart covers are pretty good protection for the latest iPads. They especially help with cleaning, and the surface stays protected when not in use.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Depends on the screen protector.

Good luck. Just realize that "I don't have scratches" != "Screen is unscratchable". It's just a matter of playing the odds.