No more second hand market for apple comp. with pre installed Lion?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rtv81, Jul 29, 2011.

1. rtv81 macrumors newbie

I just bought a new Macbook air and when I set it up I used my GF apple ID as i did not have one. After trying to changing it us user setting with mine it won't allow me to update any software unless I use my GF apple ID.
    I called apple and they told me that the ID you put in at the installation will be with the computer for ever. you can't change it. Now this is not a big problem for me but what happens to people that want to sell their MacBooks? you would have to sell your ID as well?

Any idea?

2. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

Interesting. At first you would think, well I sold my machine with Lion so I sold that license of lion, but you are able to install it on as many machines are authorized to use your apple ID. Problem being, if second hand purchaser were able to just change the Apple ID without paying the $30, then you have suddenly kept your copy of Lion and given them a free copy as well.

If you sell it, wouldn't you wipe it completely? or would you leave the OS on there? If you completely wipe they could buy the overpriced flash drive.

3. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

4. JasperJanssen, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

JasperJanssen macrumors member

If you do that, though, you lose (should, at least) your license of Lion (unless you've got another Lion equipped mac or had bought Lion separately previously).

My question is this: will this even work? Or will apple complain that <this serial number> mac's copy of Lion etc has already been activated on another Apple ID, and therefore you need to purchase it? Or worse, and therefore the computer can only be used with that Apple ID?

I suspect that it will ask you to purchase Lion, when you're trying to activate a used machine that came with Lion with an Apple ID that is not licensed for Lion.

Can someone verify that, maybe? Create an Apple ID for the occasion, and try the above procedure, see what happens?

Edit to add: A friend of mine mentioned that there may be a difference between bought licenses and with-Mac licenses, ie that a bought license would be linked to an account and cover up to 5 Macs, whereas the with-Mac licenses would only be valid for that one Mac. Anyonw know about that?