No more slide to unlock in iOS 10?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Perene, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Perene macrumors 6502

Perene

[​IMG]

That's just great. I haven't been using TouchID or any password in my iPAD, so after upgrading to iOS 10, I discover that "slide to unlock" ceased to exist, and when one of my alarms was active, I had no way to get back to the "desktop" (main screen/where all the icons/apps are), except to slide left and click in one of the apps (from widgets). Or enable that feature called AssistiveTouch.

What were they thinking? I have two Ipad Pros 9.7 here, in one of them the TouchID didn't even get me to the main screen, even after unlocking the device. Meaning I would have to press the HOME BUTTON everytime.

So that means I'll have to use just one alarm now, since my iPADs are on all the time, except when I close the Smart Cover, then again I don't need to do anything when I open it, it's already there in the desktop with all programs available.

Is this all on purpose just to make sure we use TouchID or Apple is retarded beyond belief? How about fixing this, uh?

"I think I found the problem myself. It seems that Apple decided to only allow the "Immediately" option when the Touch ID is activated for iPhone Unlock. Turning this feature off, brings back the "After 1 Minute" and "After 5 Minutes" options. It's weird that Apple decided to do this."

I guess it's too much to ask them...

2. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Uh, first of all, it's been pretty well advertised that Slide to Unlock was going away.

Secondly, the Immediate lock with TouchID is exactly the same as it was in iOS8 and iOS9.

And lastly, I have no idea what you mean when you say you were unable to get back to the home screen when your alarm went off.

Tapping the home button simply replaces the slide gesture. Otherwise, no difference.

3. gp101 macrumors member

gp101

Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Home Button -> Rest Finger to Open
    Would sort that issue :)

4. Leo90 macrumors 6502

What about increasing security of your device by locking them properly?

5. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

That's perfect. I wonder why that wasn't the default setting to begin with. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

6. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Technically speaking I guess it wasn't "going away" but was just not a default setting anymore. ;)

Kallum.

7. Perene thread starter macrumors 6502

Perene

The issue I had with one of the iPads was fixed by following these instructions:
    http://www.***************/enable-disable-rest-to-finger-unlock-ios-10-on-iphone-ipad/

That option was turned off, that's why it wasn't working. TouchID can be used to unlock, there's no need to press the HOME button.

Anyway, I disabled TOUCHID after second thought. For me it's more easy to just slide to left and open a dictionary I have here in the widgets:

https://imgur.com/a/JzLVE

Than use TouchID everytime I close the iPad Cover.

As for increasing security, the way it's handled here does not require TouchID or any password ("find my iPad" is enabled, and even the passwords stored do not reveal anything). Any sensitive data is not stored in this iPad at all, so Apple forcing me to use this feature sounds to me more stupid than caring for my safety. Or perhaps a ploy to gain access to more private data of its users, since they even remember the passwords we previously used in the Apple ID.

I heard the "slide to unlock" was removed due to patent issues, something of the sort. That doesn't justify, though, since we always had this, if I knew it was going to be this way, I would have sticked with iOS 9.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2016 ---
    I did more tests here and the solution to my problem is to press the SLEEP/WAKE button when the alarm goes off. In the past I used slide to unlock to turn it off, now I just have to press this button, and I will be redirected to the main screen.

8. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Absolutely, you are catching on. This is Deliberate by Apple to either force the use of a Password which is uncomfortable to use each time. Especially on iPhones. Or the default TouchID which is a bad idea.

Why because using Finger Print Touch ID and in some cases Soon FaceID to unlock our devices will be sold as THE BEST and most secure ways to access our bank accounts iPhones and iPads in many cases Slide To Unlock will be Taken Away.

Why? Because FaceID and TocuhID are less secure less safe than a simple 6 digit Pin. Think about it our Faces and Our Finger Prints are Everywhere . But You never see my 6 Digit Pin that's only in my Head. And that's the problem.

Even the Work Around of Going to Settings and Rest Finger to Unlock Device secretly Captures your Finger Print each time even if you are not using TouchID. Slide to Unlock was forceablly removed never to come back.

9. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

You really should sell your iPad and get maybe an Android or Windows tablet. Google and Microsoft are much better than Apple, and you can be sure they don't have ploys to get more personal data from users, or store their passwords (they never remember your previous passwords!) /s

10. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

When did Apple say the fingerprint ID was the best way to secure the device? Never. In fact, you MUST enter your PIN if the device hasn't been used for more than 8 hrs. specifically because the fingerprint is not infallible. There's nothing stopping you from turning off TouchID for device unlocking and using only the PIN to unlock your iPhone/iPad. You are aware of that, yes? You can even make it more secure than a 6-digit PIN and use a long alpha-numeric passcode instead.

By the way, Apple doesn't use a face ID, though some Android phones do (couldn't tell if you knew this from the wording of your post).

But from the second sentence of your post, it sounds like you're annoyed that Apple is making you use a fingerprint to lock your phone -- and would prefer to leave it unlocked at all times -- because default TouchID is a "bad idea". Please, go right ahead. You are free to leave your phone unlocked at all times.

11. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

12. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

At this point, I think I should just ignore the whole thread!

13. RedOrchestra Suspended

The OP posts his experience and The Cult of Apple are hard at work this morning with their handbook of responses at the ready ... buy an android tablet if you don't like Apple? that answers all the questions. huh?

14. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

15. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

14 posts and one makes mention of an alternate OS, and you're suggesting none of the Apple Sheep here are being useful? Did you even read what was posted.

Sorry. Broke my rule. I should have continued to ignore this thread.

16. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Maybe you can explain why Slide To Unlock was so bad it had to be killed ? And just an FYI I know slide to Unlock was never a way of securing your device.

17. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Yes I've wondered why the forums don't support an "Ignore Thread" feature. There's another, somewhat extreme way to ignore a thread. You have to apply the feature I mentioned on the first post.

EDIT: It's interesting though. Although I mention "other OS", the /s means sarcasm. The point has totally flown over some people, but given their posting style, I'm not surprised it flew right over them.

18. Perene thread starter macrumors 6502

Perene

I don't intend to use other devices, all I think is that it is incredibly stupid, not to say criminal, to remove options from users, specially those that were already available, and this is something these companies love to do. You would think that the fact these devices over time become more and more expensive would allow more freedom for the users in return, but that's hardly the case.

What genius thought, for instance, it would be a great idea to not modify this setting?

"I think I found the problem myself. It seems that Apple decided to only allow the "Immediately" option when the Touch ID is activated for iPhone Unlock. Turning this feature off, brings back the "After 1 Minute" and "After 5 Minutes" options. It's weird that Apple decided to do this."

Anyway, I am glad all I have to do is to press the power/wake button if when the alarm goes off the iPad is covered (if not, we can simply turn off the alarm). Better that than being forced to use TouchID, press the Home button or slide to the left and click in one of the widgets.

19. ChrisChaval macrumors regular

ChrisChaval

In my case that was already activated after upgrading an iPad Air 2 to iOS 10

The trouble begins on devices without Touch ID ...

20. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Trolling aside, I can see why removal of the slide to unlock is an uncomfortable change. I've personally found it odd, but I'll adapt. I love Touch ID, but I realize some people don't, and indeed as @ChrisChaval points out, some devices don't even have that ability, so I can see their point of view in finding this change uncomfortable as it does indeed assume you use Touch ID.

However, I do take issue with claims like "a ploy to gain access to more private data of its users, since they even remember the passwords we previously used in the Apple ID." Any security engineer will tell you that the server does not "remember" the password - it stores a hash of it that is an irreversible one-way process from plaintext to cipher text.

As for gaining more "private data", Apple has been at the forefront of keeping users' data private, in contrast to companies like Facebook, Google and Microsoft. If you're so worried about private data, maybe don't use Facebook or any social network or messaging service at all?

Also things about "patent issues" regarding Slide to unlock is even more hyperbole. If you're going to make claims, have the courtesy of doing some research and posting a few links.

21. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

Touch ID and Passcode authentications take different tracks in the Secure Enclave: After authenticating and locking a device with TouchID enabled, keys aren't discarded (like using a passcode-only, and regenerating new keys based on your passcode) but are instead wrapped in another key provided by the Secure Enclave and stored to be unlocked by your fingerprint later on.
    I forgot the details of TouchID's interaction with the Secure Enclave, but I believe the TouchID key needs to be wrapped while the device is still fully "unlocked" and I would assume there is a timing constraint for the generation of said which is why Apple limits it to Require Immediately.

Or it could be just as simple as Apple thinking that since Touch ID is the convenience factor in this unlock method, it's fair to drop since they both reduce security overall. In tandem may have been too uncomfortable for them - it's partially their reputation on the line, too.

22. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I still don't see the issue.....Been using iOS10 since Dev Beta 1, on an iPad without touchID and an iPhone with touchID.

23. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

And again, exactly the same as iOS 8 and iOS 9.