No more speaker interference with iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joejoejoe, Jul 29, 2010.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Hey all,

Since my first cell phone I've always experienced cellular noise interference when my phone came close to any speaker system (this includes the original iPhone I had for the past 2 and a half years).

Now, with my iPhone 4, I no longer experience any interference at all! I can finally take showers blasting my music from my iSound speakers without having to turn on Airplane mode. I'm assuming Apple knows this considering that I'm no longer prompted with an option to turn on Airplane mode when I dock the iPhone into the speakers, only a message recommending me to.

First, HURRAH!

Second, how is this possible? Why hasn't Apple toted this remarkable advancement in the phone's communication system?

Anyone else noticing this?

2. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

It's not interfering with your speakers because it's using 3G. The original iPhone used the Edge network which does give you the annoying bleeps.

If your iPhone 4 downshifts to Edge, you will hear the interferrence just like on your old phone.

3. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Didn't know that! Thanks or the info.

4. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I don't agree. I've also got it with my iPhone 3GS when on a 3G network :)
    With a bit of luck tommorow my iPhone 4, or at least within 2 months so than I can test it out as well! :D

5. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

True but you were probably hearing the swishing sound. What he's referring to is the "bleep bleep bede beep". With 3G you need to have it REAL close to the speakers. With Edge, you can be 5 feet away and hear it.

As a test, go into the settings in your iPhone and turn 3G off (settings-general-network-Enable 3G).

6. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Even with 3G on I can dock my phone, have it touching the speakers, as close as can be, and don't hear a bit of interference at all.

7. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

That makes sense. I DJ at a pool in my area, and I only get edge there. I sometimes get the interference through my speakers when I'm there...