No more SS Apple Watch with black sport band?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dljor, Nov 4, 2015.

1. dljor macrumors regular

i can't find that option on Apple website anymore.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

3. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Aah, I did not know they ever offered a polished SS and black sport band SKU. I only noticed it with the black watch body.

4. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

It was the cheapest way to get SS Apple Watch ...

5. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Well, there is always the choice of a coral or white band with the polished SS. That does seem kind of sub-optimized.

6. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

was that an option in the past? i had to buy mine (in canada) with a white band that was the only offering...

7. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Opps missed SS...!
    SS and black seems like the logical discrete choice - clearly apple want you to buy an extra band. Upselling again.

8. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

It was. Bestbuy, Target still have that option. It's probably removed when they released a few new colors back in September.

9. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

you're right! just checked it is available in bestbuy us and canada!

how the hell did i miss this last month? lol.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It wasn't any cheaper than the SS models with the bundled Sport bands that you can currently buy.

11. Enmanuel macrumors regular

Enmanuel

It was definitely an option, That's the one I bought. I went in planning on getting the SS with Classic buckle (back when it was only black) but during the try on appointment loved how comfortable the BSB was and ultimately chose that. I think it's strange that they took it out as it's a very "classic" watch combo that appeals to the more discreet watch wearer. The SS with white band just screams smartwatch.

12. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'm glad that I got the SS on black SB. I didn't want a black-bodied watch anyway.

13. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

Initially, I really lusted over the Space Black SS, but the only way to get it was to opt in for it was to buy it with a Link Bracelet for $1100. Wasn't going to do it so I opted for the same configuration you have. A friend of mine has the Space Black and Link Bracelet and it does look gorgeous but it looks wonky the second you put on one of the neon-colored Sport Bands on it. The regular one seems more versatile in terms of how you can match it with bands. I'm actually glad I got the configuration that I did.

14. Mattymoocow macrumors member

Mattymoocow

I had the SS with Black sports band, which was replaced due to warranty issues to Black SS with Black sports band and I couldn't be any happier! I now have the combo that I originally wanted but couldn't order. The Black SS looks so good with Black sports band and really stands out with coloured sports band. Very happy with it!

15. L.C.W. macrumors regular

L.C.W.

agreed - offering the white sport band, but not black, is just wrong. Personally, I think the white should only be offered on the Watch Sport, but that's just me.

16. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

17. Enmanuel macrumors regular

Enmanuel

I wouldn't go as far as that, lets not forget that to a lot of people Apple is still just a status thing, so they want the attention that comes with the flaunt. Apple can't ignore a mass market like that, it wouldn't be a good move from a marketing point of view. But launching a watch is as much about that as it is about convincing long time watch wearers that a digital counterpart is still as good, if not better, than the mechanical alternative. And to do this they should offer the "classic" color combinations and finishes that are tried and true. That said they are a company that makes digital products first and foremost, so making an effort to stand out from the crowd and make their product more noticeable in the streets helps them draw in the buyers. It's a slippery marketing slope.

18. nicho macrumors 68000

i disagree that it screams smartwatch - although it's the most feminine band in our collection, i think. i put it on the other day to try (my wife is using the lavender on her watch right now, so the white was in the drawer) and i took it straight off again :/ so i don't like the combo either, but for different reasons i suppose.

19. robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

I really wanted to get the SS with black but only one Best Buy location far away had it. I got the white after looking at pics and find I like it a lot. I don't wear it all the time, because it does really stand out. With a long sleeve shirt, preferably white, it's subtle. I do wear the Midnight Blue sport band with it most, except on weekends I tend to wear the white more. Just depends on what other colors I have on.

20. touchstoned macrumors regular

touchstoned

I also started out with the 38 SS and BSB but my mom ended up not liking her milanese loop and now I have that plus a turquoise band. Odd that they took it off the menu, I think SS w black sports band is a classic combo.