No more unlimited data, then no obligation for data.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by themagicman00, Jun 13, 2010.

1. themagicman00 macrumors member

Hi,
    I want to share my two cents with ya'. Now that ATT is taking away the unlimited data plans from the iPhones, then ATT should not make customers get the mandatory data plans, it should be up to the customers to get data. I think ATT is the worst phone company in the US, but we have no other options, the monopoly will end when Verizon will get the iphone later next year. The iphone is the best mobile phone, but when you combine ATT in the mix, it lowers the satisfaction to customers. I am really fed up with att, to a point that I am buying an Iphone and immediately unlock it to use it with any other company except ATT.

sorry.

2. Dan in PA macrumors regular

Personally I agree that data plans should be the customer's choice if they are purchasing an unsubsidized phone which AT&T does not have to recover subsidy money on. I am terminating my Verizon contract as soon as my iPhone 4 arrives. I feel as if Verizon is even worse than AT&T.

3. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

why do you feel that verizon is worst than AT&T? I don't like verizon personaly, as I had them years ago and they weren't anything to write home about, but as I said, that was years ago. I won't use them now because they screwed my gf outta 90 bucks. Was their coverage not satisfactory to you?

4. army91c macrumors 6502a

Ok. You in no way have to use at&t or iPhone.

I think it's a bit moronic for people to bitch about at&t seeing as they knew what they were getting into when the contract was signed. To continue to use at&t, "the worst phone company in the U.S." when it obviously does not provide you with the service you need is foolish. Of course your other option (with iPhone) is t-mo, which only gives you edge but if it works better for you then your choice is easy. Oh, if you think Verizon won't have the same issues/ price points as at&t when they finally get iPhone you're in for a huge surprise!

5. Dan in PA macrumors regular

Their coverage was (is - I'm still with them for now) very good. I travel through rural areas a lot, and there are areas where AT&T has weak coverage or none at all but I still get decent 1x (EDGE) on my Verizon phone. I've had problems with VZW customer service...at least with the iPhone, you have the option of skipping AT&T and going straight to Apple. Their 3G speeds seem to be about half of AT&T's and the whole no data connection during voice thing is a major bummer for me. I'm not saying that Verizon is horrible, just that I prefer AT&T.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

mmm yes the Apple VeriPhone with a giant check mark on the back. Yup. VCast instead of iTunes. VZ Navigator instead of google maps. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed desktop intergration with iTunes all together and tried to make a verizon/itunes front end lol.

7. Dan in PA macrumors regular

Agreed. This point has been echoed quite a few times over the years, but people really need to look at how much of a strain millions of iPhones are on a network.

8. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Yeah, it sux, but tough. Unless there's a radical change in regulations and competitions, and all handset manufactures man up and sell only unlocked phones in the US, not much you can do. But instead of whining, why not write to your representative and hope for a better regulations that promote competition.
    News flash, they other company is only T-Mobile, and you won't get 3G speed, plus you have to wait for the unlock to be out. But hey, if you don't mind EDGE speed and T-Mobile coverage is good in your area, nobody's stopping you.

9. Dan in PA macrumors regular

VeriPhone! Hahaha

To be fair, my Droid (I know, I know...I'm selling it) does not have VCast. It also has Google Maps with turn-by-turn. Verizon didn't cripple it like they did with their older devices.

10. Dan in PA macrumors regular

Yup...Apple isn't going to release the iPhone on a network which can't provide simultaneous voice and data imho. Until VZW can do that, I think it'll just be AT&T and T-mobile.

11. kodek macrumors member

I don't agree that since there's a cap there should be a choice to avoid the data plan altogether. I do think that since there are tiers now, one of them should be pay-as-you-go like on other phones, since iOS4 lets us block cellular data. It'd be the same as not being forced to pay for a data plan.

12. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I'm confused. Please explain in what way you believe our obligation to purchase a data plan is related to the existence of an unlimited data plan.

13. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Verizon worse than At&t? No way. People on this board would lead you to believe that if you are on VZ you never drop calls, get to upgrade to new phones whenever you want, never pay an ETF and data/voice plans are at a minimum 50% cheaper to comparable At&t plan.....and every time you reach customer service you get a nice knowledgeable rep

14. aneftp macrumors 68040

Huh? Verizon has forced $30 smartphone data plans on their phones for the past 2-3 years. So even if you jump to verizon for an unlikely CDMA iPhon3, verizon will slap you with the same mandatory $30 data plan.

Tmobile and Sprint slap you with mandatory data plans. Tmobile is worse. Even if you get rid of the subsidize smartphone you will still be required to pay the $25 data. Or else pay tmobile $200 ETF. Can you imagine paying for a subsidize phone and even if you get rid of it tmobile still requires data. The only ways to get rid of mandatory data is either buy phone at full price or bring your own phone or pay the ETF.

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

OK, let's assume Verizon gets the iPhone. How is Verizon's mandatory data plan for the Droid and BB phones better than ATTs for the iPhone? Verizon's unlimited data is going to go away soon too. I know this b/c it was Verizon's CEO that made the first comment stating unlimited isn't sustainable.

Personally I think the pining for Verizon is classic "grass is greener on the otherside." If Verizon does ever get the iPhone (remember they would have to allow Apple to control development 100%, which they have declined to do in the past), people will be whining about them 10 minutes into the movie.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Verizon mandates the same data plans to all their smartphones sold.
    Also they dont have the $15 option AT&T customers now do. Just $30 unlimited.
    Verizon nickel and dimes their customers alot worst than AT&T and some of their plans are higher.

17. INeedAMacBook macrumors 6502

Uk!!!

us in the u.k have the best plan with 3, 3 have the best 3g network coverage and its a 1 month contract like the U.S. but its £7.50 for 1gb of data and £15 for 10gb of data :D

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. OP if you think at&t is that bad, then don't use their service. Just remember all of the carriers are pretty similar in pricing. Verizon was the first to raise their ETF to $325 for smartphones. I really don't think it will be too long before other carriers in the US start to discontinue unlimited data. O2 is already doing it in England, and their cap is 1GB.