No more updates to old PDF Expert?? :(

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by epicmar, Dec 3, 2013.

1. epicmar macrumors regular

:mad:
    Readdle just released PDF Expert 5 for the iPad and is requiring existing users to pay full price for the upgrade. They also removed the existing version from the App Store. Does that mean that if I deleted the current version from my iMac that I wouldn't be able to get the current version again?

I understand that they need to get paid for their continuing development efforts, but there should be a better way - like in app purchases for new features. If you purchased the product last month you have to invest $20 to get what a new user gets today for $10! No loyalty to existing customers - and no reason for my continuing loyalty to Readdle. Since I have been put in the position of a prospective customer, I will reassess whether another developer's app isn't a better all around solution.

The new version looks great, but I don't trust Readdle. I am afraid that next week they will want another $10 for the PDF Expert 5 for my iPhone!

2. JTravers macrumors 6502a

Instead of complaining, you should try contacting Readdle customer support. They are very responsive. If you send them a copy of your iTunes receipt showing that you recently purchased it, I bet they'll do their best to help you out.

They are one of the best iOS developers I've come across and should be fully supported, in my opinion. As an example, it's quite impressive that they provide a great app like Documents for free. Not many developers would do that.

3. epicmar thread starter macrumors regular

On the Readdle blog, Readdle replied to a question about purchases just prior to the release indicating that the person should wait to purchase because PDF Expert 5 is being treated as a separate app.

I like the current version of PDF Expert. I think it is does some things better than competitors like GoodReader and iAnnotate, but both of those products have numerous features lacking in the 4.x version of PDF Expert. iAnnotate and many other apps have done substantial updates without making users start over. I am obviously not as enamored with Readdle as you seem to be. I was more interested in the discussion of the apparent shortcoming in the iOS model that doesn't appear to allow developers to charge an upgrade fee that is a percent of the original purchase price. I think it presents a difficult situation for developers. As a user who has spent hundreds of dollars on iOS apps, I don't want to have to periodically repurchase all those apps as the Readdle model with PDF Expert would require. I have no problem paying a percentage of the very reasonable typical iOS app price. Sorry if you didn't get that from my original post.

4. JTravers macrumors 6502a

Point taken. Your concern is a very valid one, obviously. It would be nice if Apple would provide upgrade pricing for apps. But, as you said, the current App Store policies force developers to make tough choices. I'm not sure anyone has found the best solution, yet. The old PDF Expert got upgrades for at least a couple years before being discontinued. (And even if you delete it from your iPad, you can still reinstall it from the "Purchased" section of the App Store.) The good thing is, though, that Readdle often has sales on their apps where you can buy them for up to half off. There were even a couple times over the last year that PDF Expert was free. So as long as you're happy with the old PDF Expert , you can just wait for a sale and consider that your upgrade pricing ;)

5. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

They gotta eat too. :)

----------

They gotta eat too. :)

By the way the app (version 5) is fantastic.

6. epicmar thread starter macrumors regular

Does version 5 import/transfer or otherwise easily give you access to all your files from the old version?

7. lindyprof macrumors newbie

Yes, a migration assistant pops up to transfer all your files and settings from the old app, if it is still on your device. After migrating you can delete the old app.

8. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I have been using PDF Expert for a while now and I think it is the best PDF app available. With that being said, I feel that they should have made it a universal app. Their free Documents application is universal so it doesn't seem like it would be an issue. Now I will have to give them another $10 when the iPhone app gets updated, which is not a problem, but a universal app would have been nice.

Additionally, I think there is some redundancy in the new layout. The Accounts section in the sidebar is permanently fixed when you can easily get to your accounts by tapping on Network. Why was the sync button removed from the sidebar and placed under Network? Finally, toggling between Recents and Favorites wouldn't be necessary if the unnecessary Accounts section was removed; they would both easily fit in the sidebar.

The functional layout is just a minor annoyance and I will continue to keep using the app and support Readdle.

9. Readdlemate macrumors 6502

Readdlemate

Thanks for covering our back while we were away! :)

Anyways, I would totally love to do upgrade pricing for existing users, but Apple does not allow it. I think the low price for all apps is an upgrade pricing anyways. Remember software that cost $60-80? Rene from iMore made a great article about upgrade pricing, look it up.