No more waiting..

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Verist, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Verist macrumors member

I waited, I waited and no new Mac Pros. I wait no longer! Ok, at least till Friday. I purchased a 2.66 MP and I am having the Apple store install the Bluetooth, WiFi modules (get the antenna wires right guys!) and I'm also picking up 30 inch Cinema Display. 2 gig of OWC memory have been ordered. Now I need to buy one of those PC ATI 1600 video cards and get it fixed to work (thread suggestions welcome :) ) Also can anyone suggest a good battery back up?

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

The first suggestion would be to get the card right. It is an ATI X1900XT. Good luck and congrats (on friday).

3. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Yea, same here, the decision has been made, just waiting on one thing... but the purchase I will be making hopefully within a day or two is this...

MacPro 2x2.66ghz Dual Core
    1GB Memory - (Upgrading to 5GB)
    250gb HD
    ATI Radeon X1900 XT
    BlueTooth

and...

MacBook (white)
    2.16ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB Memory
    120gb HD
    SuperDrive

That model of the MacPro does what I need it to do. That and I don't like to buy new generations of things. They always seem to have a problem. I'll keep you all posted on the purchse. Can't wait!

4. Verist thread starter macrumors member

Lol, you're right looong day at work, bad typo!

5. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Rationalizing are we? ;)

To be far, the original Mac Pro exhibited virtually zero problems, and none serious.

Good luck to you too though.

6. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Congratulations on a great purchase Verist ;)

you will be grinning from ear to ear for a long time :D

7. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Yea, I just need something now. Can't wait any longer. I am happy with what the machine does at work. So why not? ;)

Here's the history of my computers...

Purchased this G4 Dual 800 when it first came out and one of the processors wasn't pushed in all the way. Was only reading one.

My bro purchased one of the first rounds of the G5's and had a logic board problem.

Boss at work purchased first round of MacPro and kept getting weird internal problems.

With my luck with computers, I am bound to have something happen to a new line of MacPros. haha.

So, purchase? Here I come! :)

8. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

So your a Lucky Guy to be around when it comes to computers then ;)
    Go ahead, order your MP, you wont encounter any problems, i would be suprised if you did, Then in the wee small hours, sat back in your chair, coffee in one hand, mighty mouse in the other hand, grabbing a glance of the mac pro every few minutes you will know deep down that you made the right decision - everyones waiting for updates, but i cant see them coming, not for a while anyway.

9. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Right, I mean, it's a huge update for me to go from a Megahertz to finally a Quad Core Gigahertz machine. I will have a HUGE smile on me when I get it. And a bigger smile when Leopard comes out, and an even bigger smile when the first round of the updated MacPro's crap the bed. haha.

10. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

You certainly will be wearing a BIG grin for a long time, i switched from an old AMD windows PC, and the difference is mind blowing, But you wont be smiling when your taking delivery especially if you have to lug it upstairs as i did, the wee beastie aint exactly a lightweight but well worth it in the end, the grinning is never ending :D

11. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

The Mini Cave In

Looks like an awful lot of us without one gave up waiting any longer now. I figure it's another 3 months before the first full update happens. :)

12. Verist thread starter macrumors member

I had to buy a new one since you got the one here in miami, I live about 10 miles north of miami :)

13. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Yup. Gotta carry the bad boy up to the third floor. Should be fun.

14. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Yeah, I may cave in next week for the base model but I am not that pleased with the standard graphic card supplied with it :(

15. Verist thread starter macrumors member

same here, I've done a little research on a reflashed ATI card, but it looks like a bit of pain. I guess I'll just try out the stock card and see how it goes and hope for a cheap 1900 to fall in my lap or a updated card soon.

16. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

This sucks. I can't make up my mind. If a new machine is released in November, I'll be pissed. What does everyone suggest I do? Will... This... Be... Worth... The... Wait? Will I "WOW!" myself more in November than purchasing one right now?

17. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I'm still waiting for a DX10 capable card. iMacs don't cut it :)

18. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

I don't think you are going to see anything change with the Mac Pro until next year. Apple to my recollection has not released an update of any significance that late in the year. You will be getting a great machine that has been basically flawless since it was introduced. Are you wanting to deal with a Revision "A" machine?

19. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Get it delivered to your main floor

Yes, quite heavy. The shipping weight on the one I just ordered is 56 pounds.

I could have it shipped to where I receive my mail (I can't get mail at my house where I live).

But, since they are using FedEx, I elected to have it delivered to my door. But, my main floor is on the upper level. So, they'll get to carry it up to my main floor since the stairs are outside.

Lucky them :D

20. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

See, with my luck I will have problems with the first line of revisions when available. I think I am just gonna suck it up and buy the 2.66 one with 512 graphics... Although I'm starting to hear bad things about the 512 card. Thoughts?

21. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I highly doubt the Mac Pro goes the entire year without an update. Even if you base it on the infallible :)rolleyes:) Buyer's Guide which considers the eight core additon an update (which it wasn't) by November 13 (MMs date) that will have been 233 days since the last one. And if we go based on the release (which is more realistic IMO) that will have been about 460 days.

Not trying to argue, but you don't know any better than we do. But based on pretty strong evidence an update is imminent and will most likely come by years end.

This Rev. A stuff is annoying. The original Mac Pro hasn't changed at all. There is no evidence to suggest Apple has changed the Mac Pro is a way that shows it was improved. Other than SMC updates.

Whats more, the original Mac Pro had basically zero issues.

In addition, what constitues Rev. A? A chassis change? A motherboard change? A processor change?

I don't see people not buying up the MBP because it went Santa Rosa. This Rev. A myth needs to die. Seriously. There isn't much evidence to suggest that every "Rev. A" product is going to have major issues.

I will also add this, a Workstation does not have to go through the amount of engineering a notebook or iMac does, heck even the Mac Mini. They are looking to make the Mac Pro thinner or lighter. Thus, the chances of having major issues is significantly decreased right there.

22. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Here I am with my mouse still hovering over "add to cart" right now. Do I just slap myself in the face and say wait til November you nut! ?

I would be really pissed if there is no physical new machine to buy in November.

Do I just play it out. It's a long wait for me.

23. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

I was in the same struggle. Been waiting, and waiting, and waiting.

I finally ordered last week. I am sure an update has to come soon. But, soon has been next month, then nothing for a long time.

I have some things I need to get finished before the end of November (a years worth of video to get done and onto DVD). After November, I'd be unable to get caught up (new kid on the way).

So, for me, it's wait for the update and hope it's a good one, or get it now and get my stuff done before the new kid arrives (I'm the primary caregiver for our current child and will also be for the next one).

I've been putting several video projects on hold due to my G5 dying and the G4 I have being inadequate for the task for over a year.

So, it was a struggle between holding out for better, or getting it now and getting something done while I still can.

24. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I don't need my Mac Pro now. Would I like to have it now? Of course I would. They are beautiful machines. I owned one when they were first released and I loved it.

However, today it is the same as when it was first released. I don't care about the RAID card. I don't care about the expensive octo-core upgrade. I care about the fact that the same Mac Pro I bought on 8/26/2006 is the exact same as the one I could buy today on 8/15/2006.

That is why I won't and can't buy it. It is not a value for my money. I know the Clovertown now cost the same as the Woodcrests. I know the Harpertowns will be the same as the Woodcrest when it is released.

For you, the current Mac Pro is a step up. No doubt. If you find it to be a value well theres your answer. You can play the hover over the buy button for months. To save yourself grief you should really decide now.

Buy now

or

Buy when they are updated

That is it. If you decide now. I would not buy it new from Apple. I would get a refurb or a used one. Good luck.

25. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Are you happy with it? And will you be happy with it when something cooler comes out end of this year?