No more watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MEJHarrison, Jul 11, 2018.

1. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

Monday night I was out in the garage. Had my 2-month old iPad, 6-month old Apple Watch and $300 headphones out there with me. I went inside for a short while and about 20-30 minutes later, a neighbor comes pounding on the door saying the garage was on fire.

So my 193 day Move streak came to an end yesterday and I won't be completing my July challenge (close all three rings every day of the month). Insurance will almost certainly replace the equipment, so that's good. But now I have this horrible dilemma. Do I take the money and replace my watch? Or do I hold off now for the new watches (with hopefully larger screens) in 2 months? I have to say, I'm extremely tempted to wait and most likely will. But that's going to suck going without my watch for that long. I also have the same issue with my iPad, replace when the insurance money arrives or hold off for the rumored FaceID version (I have FaceID on my phone and love it)?

On the plus side, Sunday I banged my watch real good and got a little hairline crack in the screen. So it's nice that I'll be able to get rid of that! And I think I might go silver instead of grey next time as there's more band options there (for example, I want a brown leather band, but thinks it looks like crap with a grey watch). So it's not a complete loss. It's just going to suck waiting on September now.

2. Solver macrumors 6502a

If you can’t wait and have to have an Apple Watch, you can get an original Apple Watch real cheap. Then when you get the new version you have a spare, just in case.

3. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

4. artfossil macrumors 6502a

artfossil

That's scary! I'm just glad you're OK.

5. MEJHarrison thread starter macrumors 6502a

That had actually crossed my mind as I was typing. I may look into that. But yesterday would have been the day. Now that my streak is gone and my monthly awards are out of reach, I'm not sure. But yesterday I probably would have gone for it had I thought of it in time. I even momentarily contemplated asking my roommate to borrow hers, but figured that would be a pain.

They're still investigating. The guy from the fire department is calling it accidental and suspects it was electrical. It is a really old house. Now the fire investigators from our insurance company and the home owners insurance company need to take a look. Given that it was in the carport off the garage, the fire inspector says we'll likely never know for sure. He said if it was a house with drywall he could almost certainly tell us exactly when, where and why. But since it's an outdoor environment, that would be a lot harder. And he didn't seem concerned since (I assume) he ruled out arson.

6. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Glad you're OK and all, but I have to ask ... why was your AW not on your wrist? Do you charge your AW in the garage?

7. MEJHarrison thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, to understand that part, I think I'll have to tell a little more backstory. I was trying to keep it simple, but that's not going to cut it here. So...

We had a carport off the side of the garage. My girlfriend setup an area out there where she could sit and smoke and be out of the wind, rain, cold, etc. I should also mention that she hadn't even been out there that day, so it wasn't a lit cigarette that caused things. I got home from work and the house was hot and stuffy (it's an old house without AC). I was just out there after work relaxing in the cool, fresh air with some Netflix. I heard her come home and got up and went inside for 20-30 minutes, but had left my stuff out there since I had planned to return soon. The side of the carport opposite from the garage also had about 5-6 chords of very well seasoned wood stacked up (that's what provided the shelter from the wind, rain, cold, etc.). So there was an insane amount of fuel when it caught fire. Now we have about 2 chords of slightly used wood.

So that's why my watch was "in the garage" charging. To be completely accurate, it was outside the garage in the carport in a little area we had setup for people who smoke. And again, it hadn't been used for that purpose at all on that day. I just didn't want people hearing "smoking" and jumping to the wrong conclusions, thus I tried to keep it simple.

8. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Holy crab dude. That's freaky. Good to hear nobody was hurt - and I assume your house's still standing too.

Btw, smoking is nasty, nasty business man... Your GF should quit, while she still has her health. My mum smoked well into her 70s and didn't stop until docs found a shadow on a lung X-ray plate. She thought she had cancer - fortunately it was "only" an infection IIRC.

9. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

10. borgranta macrumors 6502

borgranta

If any of your devices were charging an electrical problem may have caused one or more of the devices to catch fire.

11. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Sorry to hear about the fire. Scary.
    I’d hold off on both. The wait will be worth it I am sure.
    Good luck!

12. jasoncordelle macrumors member

jasoncordelle

So let me get this straight...

You got a hairline crack in your watch, so you set your garage on fire to get a new set of headphones, iPad and watch?

Well played, sir. Well played.

13. borgranta macrumors 6502

borgranta

I doubt someone would risk being without an iPad, headphones and watch for months over a hairline crack.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 11, 2018 ---
    Did the watch have damage underneath the crack that may have contributed to the fire especially since it was reportedly charging

14. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

And a new garage. :D

15. MEJHarrison thread starter macrumors 6502a

It could have been the watch charging. It could have been because of the crack in the screen. Or it could be because this place was constructed in the '40s. The inspector said we'll probably never know. In a house it's easy to reconstruct. Outside in the dirt, not so much. I got the impression he could have given it a little more effort. He just didn't think it was worth it. Had he suspected arson, I'm quite sure he would have been back and done a lot more investigation.

As for destroying my new iPad to get a new one. That's a great theory. Except I would have left the 4-year old MacBook and kept the iPad. :p

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

At This point, Series 4 seems fairly guaranteed. Especially the latest rumor again from Ming Kuo surfacing today that the Apple Watch Series 4 is highly likely in the next two months. If you can wait, that’s what I would do. I think the changes might be worth your consideration with the addition of a larger display/larger battery, additional health sensors, etc. You could always look for a cheap first generation Apple Watch used on the market to hold you over until then.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You need to buy your neighbor dinner! A few more minutes and . . . . .

18. nokkynuk macrumors member

nokkynuk

ripparino apple watcharino.

Glad you're alive and well though!

19. MEJHarrison thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've solved the "buy now or wait" question. Granted, it's not an ideal solution, but it might just work for now.

Pros:

* Easily customize watch faces
    * Watch bands are dirt cheap
    * Larger display

Cons:

* Not nearly as "smart" as the real thing
    * The display needs to be updated manually
    * No heartbeat sensor

Attached Files:

20. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

It doesn't appear to tell the proper time either... ;) lol

21. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

Wow how did you manage to get an AW4 before it's released? I'm so jealous!

22. Nathan King macrumors member

Nathan King

It does twice per day!

23. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

What OS is that?? Love that Apple gives us white mode on the watch at last.

24. abdulkar.im macrumors 68000

abdulkar.im

Also comes in handy when you run out of toilet paper!