No Mouse, No Keyboard, No USB after installing IOUSBFamiy (Works Fine From Boot Disk)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pawn3d, May 15, 2008.

1. pawn3d macrumors regular

I was trying to install IOUSBFamily now nothing works! But if I boot from the OSX disk, everything works. But if I start up normally, I get no response from my mousepad, keyboard or even a USB mouse won't work.

Please help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope. :(

Macbook 1,1 2GHz Mac OS X (10.4.11)

i downloaded some IOUSBFamily drivers and now my MacBook has no mouse, no keyboard or no usb device will work.

Macbooks works fine when i start up the installation disk. :confused:

Here are the two files I tried installing right before the crash
    http://adcdownload.apple.com/Develo...l_build_8s2167/iousbfamily277.4.1logintel.dmg
    http://adcdownload.apple.com/Mac_OS...x_10.5.2_build_9c31/iousbfamily308.4.0log.dmg

2. pawn3d thread starter macrumors regular

1337est of 1337 H4x0rs Needed on this one.

Check this out.
    I downloaded and installed this driver package and lost my keyboard and mouse response:
    http://adcdownload.apple.com/Mac_OS...x_10.5.2_build_9c31/iousbfamily308.4.0log.dmg

I cant even connect an external keyboard or mouse.

Great, so I guess I need to install the correct drivers for 10.4, which i believe to be these:
    http://adcdownload.apple.com/Develo...l_build_8s2167/iousbfamily277.4.1logintel.dmg

Only, when I start my Macbook in Target Disk and open the installer on my Powermac G5, it says: "This package should only be installed on a Macintosh with an Intel Processor" DUH! :rolleyes: That's what I'm trying to do! Where were you when I was installing 105. drivers on 10.4?

So, can I force my way through or work around this?

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Can you boot off your OS X DVD and then use Terminal to correct the problem? Maybe you can correct the installation at that point.

4. pawn3d thread starter macrumors regular

yes, but i don't know what to do in the Terminal Is there some way to extract the original files from the DVD into the hdd?
    But how does one get to the IOUSBFamily Kext to install it? Once startup from disk, I can't open the package from an external hdd can it?

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Can you right click on the installer and select "show package contents" and pull out the files you want?

if not, you might try "pacifist" which is available here:

http://www.charlessoft.com/

Not sure though if you can just replace the kext or if you have to do something else. I suppose you don't have too much to lose if you can't get anything else to work.

I think the kext's are cached, so that's why I am not sure if you can just swap them and reboot...

Any chance there is a command line installer for the IOUSB package?

6. pawn3d thread starter macrumors regular

I sure can ;) I just don't know which files and where to move them. :confused:
    Inside the package contents? what would the extension be?

7. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Can you find the IOUSBFamily.kext file?

If you can extract that file, you MAY be able to just move it into your /System/Library/Extensions folder.

Be careful though - it looks like you need to repair permissions after you do this, and I am not sure how you can do that, unless this is available when you boot from your OS X DVD...

8. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

OK, I found some terminal commands to repair permissions that should help:

I have not done this before, but it seems to make sense. Be very careful if you are not used to entering terminal commands.

Like I said, I haven't tried this, and you may end up worse than you are now...

Here is what I found...

This puts you in the right directories, and removes the kext cache:
    cd /System/Library
    rm Extensions.mkext
    rm Extensions.kextcache

Now save the bad file - just in case, and put the good one in its place:
    cd Extensions
    mv iousbfamily.kext iousbfamily.kext.bad

(restore the new iousbfamily.kext here)

Now fix the permissions and rebuild the cache(?):
    chown -R root:wheel iousbfamily.kext
    kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions
    diskutil repairPermissions /

No guarantees here, but if you are brave (LOL) this might help...

9. pawn3d thread starter macrumors regular

the only IOUSB files are a .info .bom and .sizes

10. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Any chance you get get one from another Intel Mac with the same OS?

11. pawn3d thread starter macrumors regular

unfortunately not. I found other kext files but no IOUSBFamily on the installation disk :( looks like im running out of options

12. pawn3d thread starter macrumors regular

13. pawn3d thread starter macrumors regular

Virus on Apple's Website!

I was having some USB issues with my external drive so I called Apple and they said to install this USB update and it instantly made my mac crash!

Keyboard or mouse does not work, so i'm trying to install the original drivers in Target Disk mode from my Power Mac BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE ORIGINAL DRIVERS ARE OR WHERE TO GET THEM!

I got pwn3d... Thanks for the virus, Apple!

14. bartelby macrumors Core

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This thread is badly titled... what you're experiencing is not a virus, but rather a mismatched driver. This is an uncommon issue on Macs, but when it does occur, your best recourse is doing an Archive and Install of Mac OS X then reapplying relevant software updates. There is no guarantee that a driver from another Mac will work, especially if the two Macs are different architectures (one PowerPC, one Intel).

EDIT: I should probably add that one other source of external drive problems is outdated drive firmware. Check the manufacturer's site for firmware updates for your model and capacity of drive (yes, even external drives have firmware).

16. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

17. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

God people, learn what a virus is! I VIRUS is an application that can replicate itself and send to other computers, infecting them. That is not a virus that you encountered, but a BUG. A BUG is an error or some other thing that causes the computer to behave unexpectedly.

There should be a sticky or something.

18. bartelby macrumors Core

Even a sticky would be pointless as people just wouldn't read it.

19. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

please educate yourself on the operating system your using, and even the basics on your computer before posting something like this.

its completely incorrect and will no doubt now cause 500 pages of the mac virus debate.

which is futile....

20. pawn3d thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I installed the 277 package with Pacifist, but that didn't fix the problem. Is it possible that the package is bad or there's still files from the 308 package?

Somebody has got to know the answer. It's a software issue and I've never been defeated by a software issue. It frustrates me because my Windows friend says "If it was a PC, you could just repair the registry"

21. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Did you restart after installing? Changes made to driver files do not take effect until you restart the computer.

22. pawn3d thread starter macrumors regular

of course. it was in target disk mode.

23. The General macrumors 601

1. Boot on Powermac, enable screen sharing in System Preferences -> Sharing

2. Connect through VNC using Chicken of the VNC or like.

3. Install package.

4. ???

5. Profit!

24. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

One thread per topic please, not 4, and also please give it an appropriate title.