Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdguy6904

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
San Diego
Is the page 2 rumors correct and you can't play Movie Rentals on th 5th Generation iPod video?

If that is true, then why is that?

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
Well I'm not the least bit surprised. Why not just go ahead and make new music non compatible while you're at it, hmm?

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The analog hole is not a logical explanation, because the analog hole exists regardless of whether you have a 5G or Classic iPod, and whether you use a 3rd party cable or a Apple brand cable/dock with authentication chip. Either way you're outputting analog video through component, s-video, or composite.

I suspect that they may possibly port rental playback to 5G iPods, but it's not a sure thing. The hardware and OS in the 2 is significantly different, so even if rental support is coming to 5G iPods it's not surprising its first available on the Classic models.

It would be nice to get confirmation from an official Apple source one way or the other, for 5G owners. There is a tradeoff involved for Apple too- they want to grow the rental market to generate momentum, but also want to sell new iPods. And I'm not sure there are a huge number of people that will replace their 5G iPod just for video rentals.

At this early point, I think it actually makes more business sense for Apple to support rentals on 5G iPods, as it would increase the user base and probably rental numbers as well. Steve loves saying those big numbers with lots of zeroes in his keynote.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
So what unit can actually play movie rentals (behinds the iPhone & iPod Touch)?
All the new ones. It says so right on the site.

Basically when Apple announced the video rentals, they said all the current and future models would be okay with it. The older ones that came out before video rentals can't do it.

It's a bitch if you have the old one, but it sounds fairly reasonable to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.