no MSN support for iChat...why?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 2Shae, Aug 5, 2007.

1. 2Shae macrumors 6502

I mean come on...MSN is the most used around the world and here in The Netherlands it's practically the only service used.

What's wrong with Apple that they don't want to add MSN support for iChat:confused:

All these new features for it coming in Leopard, BUT I can't use it of course.:mad:

Apple...step your game up and stop having a grudge at Microsoft!

2. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

It supported through Jabber but only text no video or audio.

3. Sam* macrumors regular

Sam*

agrred, i know like one person on aim

im in the uk and everyone i know is on msn

would be nice if ichat ended up supporting it fully, but i am not getting my hopes up

4. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

I know I've tried it with Jabber (worked) but it's not really the same as fully supported.

I actually think/hope that it might be one of the "TOP SECRET" features in Leopard.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Oh, I don't know. It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that MSN is Microsoft property and that Microsoft is loathe to open its proprietary technology to third-parties, would it? :rolleyes:

6. rtn5000 macrumors newbie

Because most of Apples Market is in the USA and many of us use AIM opposed to any other IM client in the states.

7. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I agree with the above in saying that Microsoft wouldn't be very happy if official apple software was using their things. Just like how they made Microsoft Messenger very bad.

Could also be a coding error.

8. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Other way around, my good man.

How can you possibly blame Apple for not violating Microsoft's intellectual property?

9. Queso macrumors G4

Microsoft frequently state they want every computer user to be running Windows. They therefore have no incentive to ensure feature parity on their Mac clients. These are Microsoft's protocols and Microsoft can choose whether or not they give Apple access to them.

10. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

because Apple is smart,microsoft is stupid..why use a stupid company products..

11. pengu macrumors 6502a

if they did support MSN, it wouldn't be with Microsoft's blessing. iChat doesn't show ads and isn't full of "buttons" to access online services that no one uses.

hence it would be hacked support, simmilar to Adium. and as anyone who's used Adium will attest, it works well, but periodically MS change something and it breaks, and advanced things dont work. so they put in support via one of the opensource libraries, and what's the FIRST thing you'll say? "why doesn't it support feature XYZ"

12. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Thats true. currently the msn protocol is top secret and only microsoft can use it... oh.. wait.... :p:p

13. finster macrumors newbie

From the above posts, I take it that messaging via MSN can't be done via ichat. Is there a way to voice/video chat to windows users using another program? I have family members that use windows that I need to video chat with, and this is one of the last things stopping me trying a mac...

Cheers.

14. pengu macrumors 6502a

ichat currently only supports AIM (and with it, .mac) and Jabber messaging.

Adium supports the above as well as Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, and a ton of others. however, it currently doesn't support audio or video chatting.

the official Yahoo client for mac supports video according to this page: http://messenger.yahoo.com/mac.php

15. finster macrumors newbie

Thanks,

After a bit more digging around (for example here, it looks like there isn't an easy solution that gives good quality which is a shame.

Does anybody else have experience of webcamming between mac and PC? It doesn't matter too much if I have to persuade my family to use a different program - we usually pre-schedule when we are going to video chat anyway.

Anyway - sorry for hijacking the thread....

16. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Webcammin shouldn't be a problem for you b/w Mac and PC....i do it all the time with a friend of mine who is using a Sony Vaio and the lastest version of AIM and I'm using iChat....

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

skype should also work.

18. finster macrumors newbie

Thanks, forgot about Skype. Skype could be a good solution for me as I think they already have it installed on Windows and have used it before. Can anybody confirm that the quality is acceptable?

Cheers.

19. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Too bad MSN doesn't work with I chat. I am using a program callad aMsn, and it works well (including video and audio chat.) It is not official software, but works better than the mac MSN client.

20. Bow Rekk macrumors member

21. Queso macrumors G4

Occasionally the video gets a bit choppy, but in the main it's okay. I use it all the time to video chat to PC owning friends.

22. LWB macrumors newbie

There is an MSN messenger app with Office for mac if that's of any interest to you.