No Multi-tasking support in SDK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ferrerpheonix, Mar 7, 2008.

1. ferrerpheonix macrumors newbie

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    It all fits with the basic iphone paradigm: use a simple hub and spoke menu model (home is the hub) with phone interrupts tacked on.

Easier for the casual user, but frustrating to power ones.

It already drives me crazy when something takes me to a web page but there's no way to simply go back to my previous app(s) by hitting a back button like I can do on WM.

Of course, by limiting running apps, Apple avoids the problem of system slowdown and memory crunch. Makes it easier for their mobile OSX if it can avoid multitasking.

3. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

There had to be a catch :( Pretty much all the apps I had in mind that I'd like to see would need continuous internet access. This sucks :mad:

4. srent5 macrumors member

srent5

So now the full functionality of AIM will be limited, UNLESS Apple decides to make it a native APP!

5. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

The whole point of the SDK is to make native apps as Steve and Scott Forstall announced during the event.

AOL is making AIM as a native app (not a web app.) Any app will be able to access things like WiFi, Maps or the camera. What it won't be able to do is be up and running while another app such as a game you are playing is also up and running at the same time. But there are work arounds for certain things (like your app can open the iPhone Photo Library using the Photo Picker and add a photo to your app to send or use or tweak, etc.)

6. srent5 macrumors member

srent5

What i meant is that i hope they release AIM as an Apple distributed app, and not as a third party app, because being third party it will not be able to stay connected and receive new messages unless you are currently using the app, since third party apps can not run in the background.

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yes, because I'm sure Apple won't extend a helping hand to AOL, a gigantic corporation whose service has millions of users, to help them implement AIM as a service that can stay on in the background. :rolleyes:

All third party developers are third parties, but some are subject to less stringent requirements... usually the ones who are huge.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Isn't this how all iPhone apps work? I thought this is how the phone works. It wouldn't have anything to do with the SDK.

9. srent5 macrumors member

srent5

You can listen to music in the background while doing other things, but i guess other than that all the other applications quit when closed. I don't know, i just really hope AIM will receive messages when not in the application.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, I think the phone has basic "parts" that always run:
    The iPod
    The e-mail
    The Applications

And those "parts" run side by side. But WITHIN the Application part, I'm pretty sure only 1 app can run at a time. (Just like how only 1 song can play in the iPod part at one time.)

What people here are asking for is the ability to add whole new sections to the iPhone. They said you could write apps...there's no reason to expect them to let companies change the actual software that runs the iPhone! That would be a bit much.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    The point is, people say oh it has OSX.. ignoring how modified it is for the mobile environment. Does a desktop Mac run only one program at a time?