No multitasking in iOS 7 beta 1?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ionjohn, Jun 10, 2013.

1. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Hey

I can't get multitasking to work on apps that worked with multitasking like imusic or mctube! So sad!

Has anyone found a trick?

2. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

What version of McTube do you have?

3. ionjohn thread starter macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Well, i don't really use mctube but imusic is updated and works perfectly in ios 6 but it doesn't in ios 7, kinda why i went back

I guess devs need to update their apps or something

4. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

I'm not sure you understand what a developer beta is for...

5. ionjohn thread starter macrumors 65816

ionjohn

I do but I'm sure multitasking is disabled on iOS 7 beta 1 just like other features are

6. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

*sigh*

I don't really think you understand at all... The Multitasking is a feature that will have to be built into the app through the use of the new multitasking APIs.

If you were a developer you would know.

7. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Since iOS 7 Beta 1 just came out 3 days ago, the developers of iMusic or McTube have not yet been able to update their apps.

When a new beta is released, many apps break because of the significant OS changes.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Shouldn't the old multitasking features work as well though? I'm not saying that updates to apps won't be necessary at all, but even if they don't use some new multitasking APIs, the old ones should still be supported.

9. ionjohn thread starter macrumors 65816

ionjohn

You guys are dumb

I'm talking about the old multitasking

----------

finally! someone that understands!

I lol'd at everybody else

10. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Again, as I said, when a beta of a major OS comes along, many apps are expected to break. The beta only came out 3 days ago. You can't expect developers to make everything work that fast.

For instant, Kik crashes on launch, and Twitter #Music is unable to pause or skip forward using the system controls/headset.

Obviously in this case, the beta has broken the multitasking functionality of those apps. All you can do is wait for the developers to update the apps to support iOS 7.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

But, again, if most apps use the available multitasking methods prior to iOS 7, would it really be a good idea for iOS 7 to simply stop supporting those (which have been in use for quite a few iOS versions and certainly by quite a few apps), and require them to update to something different? That's definitely not a good experience.

Now, perhaps there are other issues that might explain this (within some particular apps and/or the OS itself), and/or this is some sort of a bug in beta 1.

12. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Well, iOS 7 is in beta. This is nowhere near the final version.

It's not that iOS 7 has stopped supporting those apps, it's the way iOS 7 organizes multitasking vs. older versions of iOS, most likely. Since multitasking has been restructured, it's most likely how those two apps use multitasking.

I downloaded both and noticed they are video applications. I went ahead and downloaded a 3rd app, Jasmine, which offers the ability to be played when the app is closed, and that functionality is also broken.

This is simply an app conflict between iOS 7's rewritten/restructured code and the current versions of the apps. It will be fixed when the developers fix it.

----------

Multitasking is not disabled on iOS 7.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Apple developers or app developers? Hopefully it will be more on Apple's side to be backward compatible (unless there's a really good reason not to be).

And perhaps in that case it might be that existing third-party app multitasking is disabled in iOS 7 (at least beta 1).

14. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Third party app multitasking is not disabled at all. I'm currently using twitter #music in the background.

It's a conflict between the new OS and the coding of the app. The app needs to be recoded for full iOS 7 support. This is why the beta is out now, so developers can submit their apps to be updated for iOS 7 before the full launch.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Ah, there's a detail that helps analyze it all some more. So, sounds like more related to particular type of multitasking being used by some apps (perhaps video-related apps), or the way those apps are using multitasking.

16. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

That's what I said.

17. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

Multitasking will only be broken until the devs fix their apps. The new Multitasking APIs require you to build them into your apps, hence why there is some issues with the beta iOS 7. Hopefully this clears things up.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

But then there seem to be other apps (like the earlier mentioned Twitter #music) that work just fine with their previously/currently implemented multitasking.

19. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Streaming music was always a category that was allowed to continue in the background. Others are VOIP apps like Skype and Navigation Apps.

20. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

This is correct. Keep in mind though that different API's are used and not all devs follow the "Apple" way of using just their own in house API's. Myself included.

21. bige12 macrumors 6502

bige12

double click the home button, that is how you get to multi-tasking

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Talk about actually reading the thread.

23. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Because being a prick is going to make anyone want to help an infant like you.