No multitouch on Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aFo, Feb 8, 2010.

1. aFo macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

So I recently picked up a refurbished 17" macbook pro 4.1 pre-unibody. The model number is MB766LL/A and it's a 2.5 ghz c2duo with 4gb ram and a 320 HD. I was under the impression that this was a late 2008 model so it would have the multitouch gesture support built in. I upgraded to snow leopard on it and I don't have any 3 or 4 finger gestures at all. Also, the keyboard is an older style macbook pro, with dashboard being assigne to F12 and no media playback keys. So now I'm really confused as to what macbook pro I did get. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Screenshots(Added)

http://img25.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=screenshot20100209at115.png

2. showkati macrumors regular

That's not a uni-body macbook pro.

3. wesrk macrumors 6502a

He says that right there in the first line of his post.

I have the 4.1 15" macbook pro and I do have 3 and 4 finger gestures. Basic thing, but go to system preferences, then trackpad and enable the gestures if they are not. If they are but you still don't have them, then ask the question directly in a new thread or this one.
    And you have an early 08 17" macbook pro. This was in fact, the last model before the unibody ones came out.

4. aFo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm well aware that my model is not the unibody version. I'm referring to the fact that Snow Leopard was supposed to bring 4 finger gestures to early 2008 and on macbook pro and air models.

To the poster above:
    Going to system preferences and trackpad doesn't show any option at all for 3 - 4 finger gestures. Only two. This is definitely puzzling

5. showkati macrumors regular

That's me not knowing how to read, apologies :(

6. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Umm? :confused:

7. showkati macrumors regular

8. wesrk macrumors 6502a

It did. Read my post as to the model I have. Before SL I was doing the mod/hack that was posted in this board, but since upgrading to SL three and four finger gestures come right off the bat.
    Do you have Snow Leopard? Maybe you still have Leopard installed. Check that and what I posted earlier about system preferences. That's as far as my level of expertise goes.

9. wesrk macrumors 6502a

edit:
    I see that you upgraded to SL, then it should have it there. This is as far as I can go. Let's hope someone that knows comes here andhelps you out.

10. aFo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses so far everyone.

I am running 10.6.2 right now.

11. wesrk macrumors 6502a

I do remember that late in 08 when the unibody macs came out, the 17" model was NOT made into the unibody frame right away, they waited until January for that, so this could be a late 08 model, just not unibody. Still, I think it should have three and four finger gestures regardless. That's as far as I can go, sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

12. dnkbro macrumors regular

Did you go to System Preferences>Trackpad and make sure the settings were enabled for multitouch?

*Edit*

Wow, reading comprehension is my friend. Anyways, that seems very weird. All I can think of is maybe having to reformat your HDD but I doubt it will change things.

13. MeAngry macrumors member

Didn't it require a firmware update? Maybe check for updates and see if it finds some!

14. aFo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Checked for software updates, and the only one is a printer driver update. I even tried the old multitouch ktext trick to try and enable it, still nothing. So I have a supposed early-late 2008 macbook pro 4.1(with the 1920x1200) screen but an old style keyboard and no multitouch gestures. Any ideas on how to proceed next? Thanks so far for your help.

15. wesrk macrumors 6502a

Since this is a refurb, could it be that the trackpad was replaced by one of an earlier machine? I don't even know if that would be a) possible, and b) the source of the problem.

I think at this point you should contact apple, either make an appointment or call them up.

16. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Sorry, mate. This is not a uni-body MBP. Life will go on, however.

Still a awesome Mac!

Habitus :apple:

17. aFo thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that's a good idea, if nothing works soon I'll do just that. Another strange problem though, compared with my friend's mbp which has a/b/g/n all listed in system preferences, I only have Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g. There's no way my mbp could be old enough to not have the n disabled, this is very concerning.

I've included some screenshots of what I'm seeing. And yes, I'm well aware this is not a unibody model

http://img25.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=screenshot20100209at115.png

18. aFo thread starter macrumors newbie

What a mess

Well, I took the laptop down to an authorized apple reseller. Apparently, my laptop is a frankenstein of sorts, it was probably pieced together from several macbook pros. Explains the discrepancy in keyboard/trackpad and specs. Very upset, but I guess the next step is to contact the seller and head to an Apple Store and see what I can do. I bought this through ebay, I've purchased 12-13 macs on ebay over the years and this is my first one with serious problems. Will Apple help me in any way, or am I screwed?

Thank you everyone for your help.

19. wesrk macrumors 6502a

I don't know. I guess it probably depends on what exactly is going on. I doubt that the machine was sold by Apple like that to begin with, so it sounds like the person you bought it from either did the modifications or was unaware of them when he sold it. Either way, I think you should contact the seller first and try to get as much information as possible, what machine was, what modifications were made, did he/she bought it like that in the first place, where was it purchased from, etc.
    Good luck!