No music Powerpoint file

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ladyhrvy, Dec 27, 2009.

1. ladyhrvy macrumors member

I can never hear music with Powerpoint files - using MSOffice 2004. Can someone tell me how to remedy this, please.
    Marie

2. larkost macrumors 6502a

This is because Microsoft has seen fit to make cross-platform video or audio almost unusable in MS Office. The only formats that are compatible on both Office for Mac and Windows are: QuickTime (3) with Indo video (incredibly old video codec that is built into Office for Windows) and MPEG-2. Nothing else will work cross-platform.

This mess is purely Microsoft's doing, and there are no technical or patent limitations that I am aware of.

For more information a few points:

- Office for Windows will only use the QuickTime version that is built into it (about version 3, but limited even for that). It does not matter what version of QuickTime you have installed on the system, it will only use the built-in version.

- Office for Mac has always let the installed version of QuickTime to use almost every audio, video, or image format (there is a longer list of exceptions on the image formats).

- Office for Windows embeds almost all video or audio clips as a OLE object. Office for Mac cannot read this.

- Office for Mac embeds things as a QuickTime object. Outside of the very narrow window of things that the built-in library can handle none of these are playable on the Windows versions (and you get a message about QuickTime being out-of-date).

Oh.. quick coda: there is no solution.