Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to CNet sources, Apple will not be introducing an iTunes subscription service next week.
My sources say that they don't expect Apple to announce anything to do with music content, and they are sure Apple won't be rolling out an iTunes music subscription service.
According to the article, Apple simply has not acquired such licensing from music labels at this time.

The rumor was revived after a claimed transcript of events was broadcast to several sites. These supposed transcripts are easy to fake, however, and have never been found to be accurate.

Still the possibility of Apple introducing a subscription service has some basis in reality, as the earlier rumors have described that Apple has been in negotiations for this possibility.

Article Link

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I doubted that we were going to see anything like this soon, this would have been a big change with such little rumors before it. I would have liked to see it though.

BLACK MAC

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Well if it did happen, I would surely buy it. If not, well there is nothing we can do about it. Maybe oneday. :rolleyes:

olliebraves20

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2007
Lansing, MI
I still don't understand why Apple would want to go this route. I mean how many other subscription services have come and gone?? Why would they want to follow what is obviously a failed idea, at least for the time being.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

This would have been interesting to see but maybe in time.

SFNE Freak

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2003
CT
Well I hope they have something in store that makes it worth the press coming out to San Francisco. Price cuts and redesigned nano/iTunes 8 ain't gonna cut it.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Well I hope they have something in store that makes it worth the press coming out to San Francisco. Price cuts and redesigned nano/iTunes 8 ain't gonna cut it.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I wasn't thrilled about the subscription model idea, and thought it might be a mistake for Apple to do -- but at least it would have made the event "news-worthy." NOW what do they have? Everyone knows the new Nano model by now, price cuts are a given, and I don't think anyone will be that wowed by a new visualizer....

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
To be honest, I would welcome a subscription-based service. I'd have signed up for napster a long time ago if it was Mac-compatible.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I didn't really think Apple would go this route anyway.

I'm interested to see if the rumors about HD TV shows turns out to be true.

BJWanlund

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
To be honest, I would welcome a subscription-based service. I'd have signed up for napster a long time ago if it was Mac-compatible.
What subscription service (save for Rhapsody...barf) is Mac-compatible?

BJ

BJWanlund

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
I think Apple is being sly and calling their new iTunes initiative something BESIDES a subscription service. My iTunes Premium Pass idea (search the MR forums) might be what they're going for after all!

Besides, why the hell would a Mac tablet be shown at a goddamn iPod event, anyway? :rolleyes:

BJ

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
iTunes and Software/Firmware for the iPhone that cures the Lockup problem would be REAL BIG to me as I'm sitting here right now having to completely restore my iPhone AGAIN. Up until now, I had to add and App to get it to lock up, but this time, there wasn't anything added and it locked up. Windows is far better than this, even Vista.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
If they are going to have subscription-based services...these should be included in the price of any goods they sell that require using the service.

Just a thought. :eek:

SFNE Freak

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2003
CT
Good! I hope their "big announcement" has nothing to do with iTunes and everything to do with a tablet!

Yeah, totally. An event named "Let's Rock" should absolutely be about a tablet. I guess it could work if the tablet had a subwoofer.

xix

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
So the rumor is believed to be false, but Kevin Rose still has all his twitter followers.

You have got to stop listening to that guy; he's mentally unstable.

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Home
Wasn't that thrilled with the thought of a music subscription service. A TV subscription service on the other hand.....

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Record companies know that they can make MORE money by doing music subscriptions. But subscriptions never took off because people like to own their music, especially their favorite songs.

Can people who have no math skills STOP dreaming about subscriptions? (or get a job and see how many of them allow you to listen to music all day long).

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2007
USA
Well now this makes me think even more that there will be room for Jobs to introduce some new MacBook Pros. He wont be talking much about iTunes and all that crap...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.