No need fr 3g Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by baxingo, Aug 25, 2011.

1. baxingo macrumors member

Just wondering if any of you do what I do. I didn't get a 3g Ipad, because my Android phone has a built in wireless hotspot with unlimited data plan, and my service provider only has a 3gb maximum tablet plan. I carry my phone with me at all times so my Ipad always has access to the internet.

Anyone else do this?

EDIT- My title should read, "No need for 3g Ipad." sorry!

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I do not but am very interested in hearing about it. I got the iPad 2 and gave my iPad 1 to my wife thinking she would just use it in the evenings on WiFi so drop the 3G Plan on that one. While on vacation we both had our iPad's so I got her a 1 month $14.99 plan. She like it and I still have it. On mine I have the unlimited plan. If I get the AT&T Tether/Hot Spot (?) Plan then I loose the Unlimited Plan. I hear they my go with family data plan so at that time I think having a 3G in each device could be good. However, the new iPhone 5 should have a much faster 3G/4G so maybe it would be faster to go thru it. Anyway, is it pretty automatic (connecting from iPad thru iPhone)? Is it just as fast? Is the connection between the 2 over WiFi? Lastly, can 2 iPads connect thru 1 iPhone and would this be really slow? In this last case would it be better if both iPads had their own 3G?

3. baxingo thread starter macrumors member

It would be faster to have 3g in each if you have more than one. But each phone is different, my phone supports up to five connections I believe. And its fairly fast. Just the same as my phones 3g speeds. I ran them both through speedtest.net