No new 30" ACD with mac pro...disappointed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pprior, Mar 3, 2009.

1. pprior macrumors 65816

Have been holding out for almost 2 years now. Thought for sure would come with the new mac pros, but nothing. Suprisingly little spice from apple given such a major change in technology on the top end.

2. AdiosVista macrumors 6502

Yep, me too, waiting on new 30" which I thought would be unveiled with the MP. What's funny too is they show a picture of the MP sitting next to a new LED display... which is currently made for the laptops! Of course they will come out with a separate desktop display but I just thought it was going to be released at the same time as the MP.

3. noonereally macrumors newbie

ditto. i have been holding out for some time. this is starting to get ridiculous.

4. oneflow macrumors newbie

I agree i gave up waiting a few months ago and got 2 on ebay for about 2k. the older monitors are still really nice but the new ones are way over due.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The Mac Pro has a Mini DisplayPort out on each of its graphics cards. Thus, you can use the 24" Cinema Display with a Mac Pro.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Apple is still shipping the 30 inch display, while eliminating the 20" and 24". I assume that, since the casing of the Mac Pro hasn't changed, and OS X doesn't have any native blu-ray support, AND the inclusion of a DVI port in their latest video cards, they may stick with the current design for a bit. Don't get me wrong, I want them to update to a new 20" and 30" but eliminating the 20" without doing it at the same time as the 30" has to be taken into consideration.

If they were moving to an entirely new line and made everyone mad there would have been two miniDP's on each video card forcing the need for the dual link driver for legacy ACDs, and prehaps the introduction of a miniDP to DP adapter.

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

It's a great display. I'm glad they haven't changed it.

8. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

is Apple even planning on coming out with new ACDs?? The mac mini and mac pro are still going to be using the current 24" LED ACD and not one made specially for them. :confused:

9. mdk100 macrumors newbie

Waiting for a new 30" display....or not.

I've been waiting too. I'm wondering now if there's an issue with the LED panels in that size, either scaling the technology or simply the price. The current model is pretty sweet...frankly I just want an integrated isight camera (since the old ones are still pretty expensive on eBay). I definitely prefer matte over the 24" LED glossy, and who knows if they'll offer that as an option when the new one is finally announced. So I may go ahead and get the current model. Is there anything else I should consider to wait for the new one? Any projections on what else this might offer to justify waiting?

10. boed macrumors newbie

Waiting is just not fun

I was really hoping they'd talk about them when they released the new mac pros.

11. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

I'm holding off until the new 30 inch LED Displays are released, I'm going to purchase the ATi 4870 when 10.5.7 firmware is comes out, I like the new design of the Cinema displays and maybe and not for sure, some of you guys hate glossy so there maybe a chance Apple will give you a choice like Apple did with the 17 inch MacBook Pros not to long ago, 30 inch LED non-glossy with the same thin bezel as the current 30 inch and a 30 inch glossy LED that's looks like the current 24 inch LED

12. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I'm predicting that Apple will HAVE to offer the 30" display in matte. Glossy is for consumers and the average consumer can't afford an $1800 display. Pro's can and the average pro can't afford to buy an $1800 mirror.

Apple has shown that for their high-end professionals, they will offer a matte solution on the MBP 17". I'd be stunned it the 30" display was glossy only.

13. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

Well yes, you CAN, and it unfortunately seems like Apple is pressuring buyers to go for the 24" MacBook Cinema Display until they get the desktop ACDs out, but it just seems really sloppy on Apple's part. MacPro, iMac, and Mac mini buyers get this ACD specifically designed for MacBooks and when it's hooked up, there's just this loose MagSafe connector dangling in the back.

14. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

It's just going to take a while for LED tech in the big panels to come down in price. Apple wants that larger market (the iMacs are shifting to only 24" models and there won't be any 20" LED LCD display) so we just have to wait until the prices drop.

I bought an original 30" display for $3299! If the newer tech cost forced Apple into releasing a $2999 30" display, we'd hear nothing but whining on these boards. The newest tech is expensive, but it eventually comes down in price. The current $1799 display is actually pretty reasonable. It hasn't changed much at all since it's days at almost twice the price.

Respectfully, we are tech divas, who want cutting-edge technology at non-cutting-edge prices.