No New 30 inch Cinema Display, NO BIG DEAL

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TyleRomeo, Mar 6, 2009.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

I'm not quite sure what Apple is doing by not releasing new displays to go along with their new lineup of all Display Port machines considering they have now moved to a once a year refresh of their desktop machines.

The Mac Mini is the funniest case here. It has both a mini display port that can drive a 30 inch display and a mini DVI port. So to use two of Apple's displays with the Mac Mini you need a Dual Link DVI to mini display port for the 30 inch and a DVI to mini display port for the 24 inch LED display. Great job Apple.

Considering that the 24 inch cost as much as the previous 23 inch display, I'm assuming that the new 30 inch will also fall into the $1800 price range of the current 30 inch. Instead of hopelessly waiting for Apple, why not get a nice 42-50 inch Plasma or LCD TV and hook it up via DVI to HDMI. You can still have a massive screen to work with or play ripped movies on and oh it's also a massive TV as well. Looks like my money will go towards a nice new Panasonic Plasma and not into Apple's deep pockets.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, actually.

You can't use two of Apple's displays with the Mac Mini at all.

The Mini DisplayPort port can handle either the 24" Cinema Display or the 30" Cinema Display.

The Mini DVI port can't connect to either of them.

3. myca macrumors 6502

Which kind of makes their current line of displays rather baffling :eek:

And to confuse matters even more they have 15 display adaptors listed in their store.

4. Outsider macrumors regular

Outsider

The mini is ideal for 3rd party monitors anyway (BYODKM). Also, relatively few mini owners will do multi monitors. But it's a nice capability for those that do choose to do that.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It is getting pretty ridiculous - for a company that prides itself on the fact "it just works", having 15 display adapters is a bit over the top!

6. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just said what Apple told me over the phone. So the situation is every funnier. Laugh I say laugh.

7. Outsider macrumors regular

Outsider

The funny thing is that the 30" display has firewire 400 ports and a splitter cable with USB, DVI, and FW400. No place to plug it in on any of Apple's new hardware, necessitating a 400->800 adapter:

[​IMG]

Clunky. They should include it for free.

8. myca macrumors 6502

Maybe they should change that line to

"It just works*"

*As long as you've purchased the correct display adaptor.