no new ACD, now what?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zoran, Jan 17, 2008.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

Its been some time now that i wanted to purchase a 23" display! I didnt make the step towards an ACD cause of the old specs they were giving out!
    Its been really disappointing that there weren't any announced at MWSF 2008. Now there is no alternative but to get a different vendor display, time is closing but the hard question is which shall i choose?
    Many are on the market and its very difficult to make a choice... help!
    The money i can spend i guess will be around 1000$!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

Well there is dell, always a great display from my experience. I do not agree that the acds are worn out. Sure they're in need of an update to allow for other things to be plugged in but since my display is just that and not meant to be used with my wii and such, I don't mind.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Depends on what you use your machine for. If you're producing artwork - especially for print, then an ACD is still the sensible choice for colour consistency. For almost any other purpose, I'd lean towards Dell or HP - both of whom are making first rate screens these days.

4. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Whats so great about their color consistency? At work im using an LG flatron 24" and color is great there!

5. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

The Panel in the LG Flatron 24" is a PVA/MVA panel.

The Panel in the ACD 23" is an S-IPS.

S-IPS panels have 1) Better Viewing Angle, 2) Better Color Consistency across the panel and 3) Superior Color Accuracy for Calibration than PVA/MVA panels.

PVA/MVA panels are more affordable and may be better for gaming and video depending, of course, on the Video Driver and LUT.

The Apple ACD 23" is an outstanding panel, even today. It is VERY hard to find an S-IPS panel in a 23 or 24" monitor at the ACD's price point.

We bought our third just three weeks ago.

For pro print work, it is a solid, mid-range monitor until you hit the NEC's and EIZO's which generally cost more.

ACD 23 is a Solid Choice right now if you need print color accuracy.

6. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanx dante@sisna.com for your help, however ive done a small research and i must say that now im confused!

LG specs
    http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/l246wp.jhtml
    Brightness 500 cd/㎡
    Contrast Ratio 1000:1
    Viewing Angle 178˚/178˚
    Response Time 8ms

ACD specs
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...p_mac/mac_accessories/displays&nplm=M9178LL/A
    Brightness (typical) 400 cd/m2
    Contrast ratio (typical) 700:1
    Viewing angle (typical) 170° horizontal; 170° vertical
    Response time (typical) 16 ms

Whats wrong here, all specs are in favor of the LG display!

7. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Wow. that is a touchy subject you've opened up. I have commented on these sorts of things a million times here at MacRumors -- try searching to get the details.

Start by learning about the differences in panel types here:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1004&message=19314156

Specs don't tell the whole story: Things like Color Consistency and Suitability of the Specs for the Desired Workspace is also very important (ie Web, Print, etc).

For instance I just got off the phone with my brother who is a Pro Photographer in the magazine industry. He was lamenting about his new LCD being too Bright for the work he was doing today.

It all depends on the delivery medium you are working towards delivering for.

If you just want a panel for casual use, gaming, watching videos, etc, then go with Max Brightness, Color Gamut, etc.

I don't understand your questions in this post: first you ask for advice for the 23 ACD and now you are making a case for the LG.

Not sure what your needs are.

8. BDK1022 macrumors newbie

Dell just released a new 24" that is definitely better than most, though not with the ISP panel of the ACD (PVA or MVA I believe, I forget which). More inputs though which is a huge plus. Similar to the LG you mentioned, but newer and presumably better. If you're not doing professional graphics stuff, you really don't need to spend a boatload on a monitor. Of course, if you wanted to save money you could just go with a cheap-o TN panel monitor.

Dell 2408WFP

Screen type - Active matrix - TFT LCD
    Screen dimensions - 24 inches (24-inch diagonal viewable image size)
    Preset display area:
    Horizontal - 518.4 mm (20.4 inches)
    Vertical - 324 mm (12.7 inches)
    Pixel pitch - 0.27 mm
    Viewing angle - 178° (Vertical) typical, 178° (Horizontal) typical
    Luminance output - 400 cd/m ²(typ)
    Contrast ratio - 1300:1 (typ)
    Faceplate coating - Antiglare with hard-coating 3H
    Backlight 7 CCFL U-type system
    Response Time - 6ms typical (Grey to Grey)
    Color Gamut - 102% typical
    Has 2 DVI, Composite, S-Video, HDMI, Component

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2408WFP/en/UG/about.htm#Product Features

I've been looking at 24" displays myself, though now for various reasons, I won't be buying one for a few months most likely. Main contenders for me were the LG, this Dell, and a BenQ FP241W (very solid monitor but may be discontinued now) if you want to check these out.

9. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Have you considered the relatively new glass base / aluminum case Dell 27"? http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=222-7315

SEE ALSO

http://www.barefeats.com/lcd.html for their impressions compared to the ACD 23" and an older Dell 24" - note the current Dell 24" HC is different. They also have a nice table to help compare / contrast.

Detailed review: http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2961 - lots of photos, goes through the display in great detail, points out the weaknesses (as well as the strengths) and why it might not be for you. One of the issues with this otherwise well-reviewed monitor would seem to me to be the pixel pitch - esp. if you are close - as in the case of desk viewing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's also $200 less today than it was yesterday - $995!!! - but that could last a day or a week - crazy Dell pricing!!

All that said - I'm still planning on purchasing an Apple 23" in the next week or two. Better pixel pitch is important to me. It is a difficult decision - the monitor may well stay with you for longer than your computer cycle. That's certainly been true for me. Good luck.

[​IMG]
    LG

10. macgruder macrumors 6502

You can't measure monitor quality by specs alone. For example, ghosting issues and color accuracy don't appear in specs. Generally the best indicator is panel type and all the monitors that you can buy are only made by about 3 or 4 companies. In general, quality from top to bottom is:

S-IPS: ACD 23" ; NEC LCD2490WUXi($1100)
    S-PVA: Dell 24"
    TN: Various cheap monitors (good for gaming)

The ACD 23" is the cheapest S-IPS monitor I have been able to find at the 23/24" size. So it's a good deal for a high quality monitor unless you need more inputs. I'd advise getting the 3 year warranty though.

11. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

12. macgruder macrumors 6502

LG Flatron L245WP is an P-MVA panel. For a 23/24" basically the ACD and the NEC are probably the best (picture) quality you can get. If you want to save money, I'd go for the Dell 2407

13. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

the acd do get updated every now and again, without a big deal, usually just a panel update as the case is pretty nice anyway, hdmi / display port arent on macs yet so not much pooint in adding them yet.