Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
That's absolutely pathetic. They put HALF of the motherboard on a riser card. THAT is a feat of engineering.

Screw the external look. Cheese Grater Forever.

(That made me laugh)

I am 100% fine with the look of the Mac Pro, I find it very sleek and functional.

The guts are what really amaze me though! :apple:

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
They've had the same design since the G5 powermac that came out in 2003.
They're kinda like the NRA with the case design -"From my cold dead hands"

Pika

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
They've had the same design since the G5 powermac that came out in 2003.
They're kinda like the NRA with the case design -"From my cold dead hands"

Look at the PowerBook G5... and now since October all MacBook pros have this awsome unibody inclosure. Maybe when Steve Jobs come back the new mac pro might also be all unibody.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
I am a Video Editor and I can tell you I would rather be put to death then go back to Windows for editing.

Mac all the way.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yesterday i was expecting a totally new box look for the Mac Pro but unfortunately they only changed the RAM slot and keep the same 2006 look. I was ready to purchase a Mac Pro only if they change the look & design but it seems that i will have to wait for another year till that to happen...

So no Mac Pro this year for me. :(

Have you guys expecting a big change to the Mac Pros yesterday?

If THIS is the reason why you aren't going to get a MP, then you sure as hell don't even need one.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
The box looks totally different. :rolleyes:

The old one was black, the new one is white. ;)

MacProBox.jpg

overview-in-the-box.jpg

:D :cool: :eek:

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I Wouldnt of Minded that Hackintosh Mod with the Mac Pro case where the cheese grater was black, and the rest was silver, looked pretty slick. But still didnt actually change the design, just added some contrast.

FinalCutJay

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2008
LMAO on those Mock ups of the Black Mac Pro. That would almost change my mind to not buy it. Would you really want to lose the handles for lugging this heavy suck to and from the Apple store?

This new machine is a total fail. Seems more of a downgrade to lateral grade if you ask me.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
LMAO on those Mock ups of the Black Mac Pro. That would almost change my mind to not buy it. Would you really want to lose the handles for lugging this heavy suck to and from the Apple store?

This new machine is a total fail. Seems more of a downgrade to lateral grade if you ask me.

I think your missing the point of his post, he saying he thought they would make them look more like the rest of the Apple line with Metal and Black. Not that exact design, but something like it as far a color scheme goes.

Chill out.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Macs are pretty much PCs on the inside without having to look like one outside too. That design is awful.

The current G5/Mac Pro design is nothing short of perfection.

It's hard to imagine how they could make it look any better. I'd be quite happy to see this design continue for the foreseeable future.

Show me a PC that looks anything like a MacPro under the hood.

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
Show me a PC that looks anything like a MacPro under the hood.

I suspect he's referring to the fact that it's all the same hardware, not the internal chassis design. Apple sackriders used to be able to spout off crap about RISC and stuff and why PCs were so lame, now it's just cosmetics and the OS.

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
I always thought black looked so much better on the pro machines. It helped differentiate the professionals and consumers. Plus black and aluminum look awesome together.

As far as I'm concerned it could be pink. Take it out of the box, throw the box into storage, and never look at it again until I move or sell it.

ccuk

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
If you are thinking of not buying a Mac Pro based purely on the lack of a cosmetic upgrade to the case, then you clearly do not need a Mac Pro.

The case on the Mac Pro is very functional. The handles help you move the Mac Pro when you restructure a studio. The grill at the front helps suck in a lot of air to keep the interior cool. In my opinion the Mac Pro is one of the best looking cases ever made, it is also incredibly solid and robust. But despite all that, what really counts is the interior; whilst the update may have been quite frankly dire, those who need a machine of this calibre need the raw power inside.

How it looks on the outside matters not one iota nor does it make them money.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
I need the power of a Mac Pro for my 3D animations. I need something that can render fast and capable to support lots of polygons when i do rotations. My Macbook Pro handles well for that but it's not enough and i had to wait a bit longer... I refuse to install Windows on my MacBook Pro because it might mess my little system, my track pad, keyboard... I need a Mac Pro so i can install Windows freely in order to run 3D programs that OS X don't have such as Autodesk Softimage and 3D Studio Max.

I rather have a machine with a kick ass new look that will last for years to come and only to worry about upgradability of the internal for future proofing.

And i wouldn't feel comfortable if i purchase a PC tower only to run those programs because all my hardwares are apple compatible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.