No New Cameras at NAB - Buy or Wait?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by alksion, Apr 28, 2012.

1. alksion, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Hey guys, I'm watching the price of the XF300 come down somewhat. With that said, I was seeing if Canon was to announce anything new at NAB, but obviously that didn't happen.

What do you guys think about investing in an XF300 right now? All thoughts and opinions are welcomed.

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

If you always wait for the next camera, You'll never get one. I only have the XF100, but based on what I get out of this tiny machine, the 300 must be a beast.

Buy!

3. infowarfare macrumors 6502

No new camera's at NAB!? There were a ton of new cameras at NAB! The hit of the show was the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. But even Canon showed two new cameras; the EOS 1D C and the C500.

4. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Well, I meant was a new camera from canon like GL2>XH-A1>XF300>?
    That's all I meant but I see no one has anything to say about buying one.

Yes I understand you can't wait for ever, but I have a 5DMK II and a 60D and was just seeing what you guys thought on the XF300 complimenting those.

That is all. -1

5. pigbat macrumors regular

The XF100 is definitely a nice compliment to DSLR footage so I'm certain the 300 would be excellent as well. I can't get over the steep price tag on the 300 but the true camcorder style is nice for run and gun doc stuff. I know several reality shows using a mix of 100's and 300's.

6. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

What's your intended use for the camera? With a bit more background you would probably get a more suitable answer.

7. cgbier macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure, though, if I enter that price range, if I wouldn't go with the Sony EX-1.... oh, Sony's expensive infrastructure would hold me off.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

it sounds like you know what your needs are, if the 300 fits your needs now and into the foreseeable future get it... I don't do DSLR video so I can't comment on how well it will complement the 5D or the 60D, but from what i've seen shot with it, it produces nice images.
    Have you played around with one yet at the store?

9. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

I'm sorry mainly weddings, I was just seeing if anyone had one and what they thought of it over prolonged used.

No, I live in LA, so I'm sure Calumet or Sammy's would have one. That's a good idea though.

10. dtechlogic macrumors regular

Sammy at Fairfax do have the canon xf305 in stock also on display. I like it but just the price gives me a headache. Also i am looking at the Panasonic AC 160 which they are going to release an upgrade version AC 160A. I do church videos. Usually i am the one who creates DVD for my church and takes the video. Small church. Same here also i would like to buy the canon XF300 but the price is what stopping me.

11. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Thanks for the friendly reply! Which church?

12. FroColin macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure someone mentioned this but there was a camera that was announced at NAB that seems to fit what you are looking for. The Blackmagic Cinema camera seems perfect. Of course it's fairly untested and Blackmagic has no history of making cameras but they do have a history of making very solid video related products. At least take a look.
    http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/

Good luck

13. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Yep, this is on my wish list! I currently shoot with a pair of T2i's and a 60D. I really like what I see with that new Cinema camera though.

14. cgbier macrumors 6502a

I'm not so sure if you would want to use a cinema cam for event shooting. Especially not with the runtime of the (built in!) battery.
    While this Blackmagic thing sure is nice, you need run'n'gun capabilities during events - something that's lacking with this babe.

15. FroColin macrumors regular

Ahh good point. It didn't really register with me that he was shooting mostly weddings. But then he is using a 5D and a 60D, neither of which are particularly good for event shooting. But then I guess you can make due as they don't have built in batteries and you don't have to put in a new SSD to swap media (which is just so expensive)