No New iPhone until late June/July

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TechWhore, Apr 8, 2009.

?

When do you think the new iPhone will be released?

Poll closed Jul 7, 2009.
  1. To coincide with WWDC June 8th (Awesome! I wanted like yesterday)

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. To Coincide with the return of Steve jobs, Late June (he has risen!)

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Keeping with tradition July

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. Later

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. TechWhore macrumors regular

I was just thinking about all the rumors circulating about an iPhone release in June to coincide with WWDC... I did some simple math based on recent news (http://9to5mac.com/digitimes-iphone-shipping-parts) and realized this isn't possible.

As of today there are 60 days until WWDC (June 8)... So 60 days x 100,000 units (Foxconn had reported they had manufactured the 3G at this rate at its peak). This would bring it to 6mil units (If they started manufacturing today *unlikely*). This seems like plenty, however they will most like split the shipments.

So....
    Probably closer to 50,000 manufactured (100,000 peak)...
    Probably start Manufacturing in a week or two, so lets say at least 40 days of manufacturing before they ship...
    Split Shipments...

2 Million initial run = equal shortage

The end of June or July would supply the adequate time needed.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Who's to say it hasn't already started being manufactured?

3. efice32 macrumors 6502

ah yes, but this is Apple after all....shortage = hype and mass hysteria over a product

4. kits macrumors member

Do you think the new iPhone will see the same demand as the 3G version saw at it's release? I will be surprised if it sees even half the demand in this economy. Plus, the customers have way too many choices now compared to when 3G came out. Lot of hot phones from HTC, Nokia, Samsung, LG, Acer, Toshiba, and Sony Ericsson are expected to start pouring into the market this summer. Also, if Apple has the current 3G version stock left, they will be heavily discounted to compete with the newer model. AT&T might even start giving the refurbished one's for Free with 2-year contract.

5. TechWhore thread starter macrumors regular

Again I am basing this on the rumor today that broke on Engadget, Gizmodo, 9to5Mac, and apple insider that Taiwanese companies are no starting to ship parts/components for the phone.... meaning they haven't even begone their assembly process yet.

6. SiuPak macrumors newbie

Steve Jobs said that he will come back in late June.

7. TechWhore thread starter macrumors regular

That is a possibility I did not consider, of them maintaining the current 3G at a lower price and having the new version be a proversion...

I think there will still be a demand, but 2 million still seems short. as the 3G sold over 1 million in its first weekend.

8. TechWhore thread starter macrumors regular

Which I still believe he will come back only to leave shortly there after. Having him make such an announcement during the launch of a new product (iphone) and OS (snow leopard) would take the burn off their stock price.

9. iMacmatician macrumors 601

10. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

That's how it's been done in the past

11. 11800506 macrumors 65816

It'll likely be a similar situation to last year. Having the unveiling at WWDC and releasing it in late June/early July

12. abarna21 macrumors regular

i don't even think there will be a new iphone this year unfortunately

13. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Once a year, every year.

I'd have to agree with the OP on this one.

14. MrGadget28 macrumors regular

What a waste of a thread...

Stop making these stupid threads. We all know a new iPhone will come out every year.

15. Randykn. macrumors member

apple has way too many engineers and it doesn't mean that they would need all of them to do on one single project. So this doesn't show that every single one of them have to participate in this project.
    I'm guessing by now they should have a prototype running to see any problems or glitches going on, and solving it. OR maybe they have already done that and just confirming on manufacturing.
    apple has this 1 year loop thing and we can see from the rest of the apple products are released every year.
    so why people think iphone won't be released this year?:)
    i would say iphone will be out traditionally.
    like last year, when they are celebrating iphone 1st gen 1-year-birthday, and SUDDENLY leaving that poor product aside and introducing iphone 3g
    we just have to wait :(