Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Well, the only Mac I have now is a 2009 15" MacBook Pro, which honestly is the best Notebook I ever had. But now I need more power and more space (after selling my Cinema Display), so a Desktop is the ideal choice. As I don't like the iMac, a Mini with a TBD is the only choice left.

So, a Mini isn't just for entry level and media center consumers, it could be a great alternative for Prosumers - when it comes with a quad-core and a dedicated graphics card. They just need to get up from their knees and put something more powerful in a Mini. But in my opinion, they will disappoint again. Too bad, really, as I love everything else about a Mac Mini.

davidb367

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2007
Gave Up Waiting...

I really needed a new desktop Mac. My MacPro 1,1 is chugging along but I needed to upgrade it to network it with my MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion for building my apps in the AppStore. I had to upgrade to PoserPro 2012 and that's when the MacPro started struggling. Renders were taking way too long and the UI was slugigish.

I finally realized that don't know when the Mini's are going to be bumped. The really scary thing is the Mini's may not be refreshed for a while. The last two mini upgrades were sorta required. The first was the mini's were out of date and the second was pushing people away from disk installation of OS X.

I finally decided to upgrade the CPU's and RAM in the MacPro from 4 cores, 6 GB RAM to 8 cores and 12GB RAM for $250.00. That gets me the Mac Pro up to a mini server level of performance and saves me $1000.00. I'll still save my pennies and look at a mini or new MacPro next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.