No New Mac mini. What are you gonna do now? (poll)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mrat93, Jan 6, 2009.


No new Mac mini. What are you gonna do now?

  1. Buy a Mac mini as it is

    12 vote(s)
  2. Buy a MacBook (any model)

    17 vote(s)
  3. Buy an iMac or Mac Pro

    21 vote(s)
  4. Buy a non-Apple computer

    31 vote(s)
  5. Keep waiting for a new update

    142 vote(s)
  6. Not sure

    19 vote(s)
  7. Other

    18 vote(s)
  1. mrat93 macrumors 65816


    Dec 30, 2006
    I've waited months for a new Mac mini. Now that there's no new model in almost 16 months, I think I might buy a new MacBook.
  2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601


    Nov 19, 2007
    Georgia, USA
  3. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    Wait dude, wait. There is evidence that new ones are just around corner. Wait at least for mid Feb. then it's maybe time to move on and realize that new ones are not coming...

    iLife '09 release will be the next big event so wait for there
  4. Akitakoi macrumors regular


    Jan 31, 2008
    Non-Apple computer going to be ordered..... Any one have any silver paint and extra Apple stickers?;)
  5. bindigok macrumors regular

    May 14, 2007
    I hate that Apple has us by the b*lls. Most of use will continue waiting for what we want. They have no reason to hurry with iMac updates, and it makes me angry (partly at myself) for being such a consumer whore.
  6. Turmoil macrumors regular

    Jul 2, 2008
    It's not really a big deal. My other Mini works fine. On the one hand, the longer they take the more mature the product.
  7. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a


    Aug 14, 2005
    The Hub of the Universe
    I was really hoping to replace my iMac + AppleTV setup with a new Mac Mini. Looks like I'll just keep grinding away with my current setup until it happens!
  8. jacobsen1 macrumors member

    Jan 6, 2009
    Mt View, RI
    see, I'm no apple whore or the type of guy that needs the newest bestest version of something. I'm running the same desktop I have been for 4 years now. When apple went intel I told myself my next computer would be a mac, just so I could see for myself if they're worth it.

    Well, I'm not needed a new machine finally. So I have $2200+ squirreled away for it. And I was about to buy it in December until someone told me to wait for today.... And now I need the new machine even more. But now what? Wait till the end of January? The more I wait, the more I need it. The more I wait, if I don't make it, the worse it'll hurt when the new version comes out a month later. But if they do announce/ship in late January, that is the latest I can hold out.

    It sucks because I'm no fan boi, I'm no consumer than needs the newest, but I'm stuck making a ****** decision either way. :(

    sounds like most of you are in the "want" category while I'm in the "need" but I don't want to get hosed by buying something and having it replaced shortly after. Had I bought what I wanted back in December now I'd feel great seeing how apple's messing with everyone right now.
  9. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    Why you need a new one? Something matters on your old one? If not you can wait. I'm happy with my 2 years old PC laptop beacause I still have something.

    If you are happy with this gen. Macs specs go for it and buy it. If you need more power then wait
  10. Yvan256 macrumors 603


    Jul 5, 2004
    I think we'll see the new Mac mini at the end of january, when iLife '09 is ready.
  11. jacobsen1 macrumors member

    Jan 6, 2009
    Mt View, RI
    ugh. so if you buy a refurbed today you get 14 days price matching on it... Meaning if the new iMacs come out in 14 days, you can return whatever you buy today, then get the new model at whatever it's price is.... But, the last tuesday in January is MORE than 14 days away..... :(
  12. riepley macrumors newbie

    Jan 6, 2009
    I'm the "need" category... I've worked with Macs before and I love'm. But I couldnt afford one, straight out of school.
    My 6y old PC died on me last month, I've been wanting an iMac for a while now. Just when I could afford it, a friend suggested I wait for the updates. So I did. And I was sooo disappointed by the MacWorld Keynote...

    Felt as if I waited for 4 months for absolutely nothing. It's not a do-or-die situation but, I've just been itching to try out my new toy I got for christmas ( a Wacom Intuos tablet) on a Mac, instead of reanimating my POS PC, for the second time.

    And, I am not willing to put down the 2800$ for a MBP. Heck, no! I'll pass on this offer, Apple, thank you.

    That'll teach me to get my hope up for nothing.
    I guess I'll wait my itch out... I sincerely hope the iMac update will be worth the wait. I don't want make the same mistake I did 6 yrs ago buying a 1500$ PC out on a limb.
  13. rippyz macrumors member

    May 26, 2008
    My primary purpose for the mini is media center, also double as a backup computer in case my main desktop dies. I guess I'll have to keep waiting until the new mini comes out or it is killed off for good. If it's killed off, then I'll probably get a iMac, although it would look pretty stupid as a media center next to a big LCD TV.
  14. Foxglove9 macrumors 68000


    Jan 14, 2006
    New York City
    Probably build myself a hackintosh desktop soon since they are cheap enough. Been waiting over a year for a new mini and it looking more and more like it's never coming.
  15. johtaja macrumors newbie

    Dec 6, 2008
    What exactly is wrong with the current gen imacs? 3.06 Ghz, 8800 GT, 4Gb Ram doesnt sound very obsolete.
  16. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

    Mar 11, 2006
    keep waiting.

    these rumor sites are killing me with all the mac mini teasing
  17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Well I for one would like to open my Mac Mini End of Life thread.:mad:Come on Blue velvet I knew you killed that thread way way to early.:D
  18. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

    Jan 14, 2008
  19. bindigok macrumors regular

    May 14, 2007
    It sounds more like they are trying to thin down all of the inventory left over from the holidays, rather than waiting to complete the iMac technology. I mean if they can pack all of that into a Powerbook, then why not an iMac??? Holiday sales sucked, much worse than expected. So this way they can sell off stock to those that are in the "need" for a new computer. Pisses me off none the less. Luckily my PB G4 is still hanging on, although they just had to replace the smart board thingy.

    But I'm holding out until new iMacs are released. Last time I bought just before the Intel Macs came out and I'm still kicking myself for that one.
  20. zombie1210 macrumors regular


    Nov 9, 2008
  21. iParis macrumors 68040


    Jul 29, 2008
    New Mexico
    YES. That's how you do it MacRumors!
    Don't give up on Apple. Just wait it out, they will do it eventually.
    Although, if something new isn't released by April I will be heart broken and most likely just by an "as is" Mac mini.
    The second it's upgraded I'm going to get it, the Mac mini that is.
  22. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

    Apr 2, 2006
    West Oz
    Great big threads.

    That was a great thread that was:)
  23. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

    Apr 2, 2006
    West Oz
    Lost opportunities

    Funny thing is I wouldn't have thought upgrading/updating the mini would have been that difficult to do. I guess its back to waiting.
  24. salanyali macrumors newbie

    Dec 15, 2008
  25. iStress macrumors member

    Sep 23, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    If they update it now, a lot of people are going to get angry because their Christmas presents are going to become obsolete.

    I say we'd have until the end of January till early February.

Share This Page