Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

No new Mac mini. What are you gonna do now?

• Buy a Mac mini as it is

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • Buy a MacBook (any model)

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • Buy an iMac or Mac Pro

Votes: 21 8.1%
  • Buy a non-Apple computer

Votes: 31 11.9%
  • Keep waiting for a new update

Votes: 142 54.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • Other

Votes: 18 6.9%

• Total voters

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
I've waited months for a new Mac mini. Now that there's no new model in almost 16 months, I think I might buy a new MacBook.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Wait dude, wait. There is evidence that new ones are just around corner. Wait at least for mid Feb. then it's maybe time to move on and realize that new ones are not coming...

iLife '09 release will be the next big event so wait for there

Akitakoi

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Non-Apple computer going to be ordered..... Any one have any silver paint and extra Apple stickers?;)

bindigok

macrumors regular
May 14, 2007
I hate that Apple has us by the b*lls. Most of use will continue waiting for what we want. They have no reason to hurry with iMac updates, and it makes me angry (partly at myself) for being such a consumer whore.

Turmoil

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
It's not really a big deal. My other Mini works fine. On the one hand, the longer they take the more mature the product.

jacobsen1

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
Mt View, RI
see, I'm no apple whore or the type of guy that needs the newest bestest version of something. I'm running the same desktop I have been for 4 years now. When apple went intel I told myself my next computer would be a mac, just so I could see for myself if they're worth it.

Well, I'm not needed a new machine finally. So I have $2200+ squirreled away for it. And I was about to buy it in December until someone told me to wait for today.... And now I need the new machine even more. But now what? Wait till the end of January? The more I wait, the more I need it. The more I wait, if I don't make it, the worse it'll hurt when the new version comes out a month later. But if they do announce/ship in late January, that is the latest I can hold out.

It sucks because I'm no fan boi, I'm no consumer than needs the newest, but I'm stuck making a ****** decision either way. :(

sounds like most of you are in the "want" category while I'm in the "need" but I don't want to get hosed by buying something and having it replaced shortly after. Had I bought what I wanted back in December now I'd feel great seeing how apple's messing with everyone right now.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
see, I'm no apple whore or the type of guy that needs the newest bestest version of something. I'm running the same desktop I have been for 4 years now. When apple went intel I told myself my next computer would be a mac, just so I could see for myself if they're worth it.

Well, I'm not needed a new machine finally. So I have $2200+ squirreled away for it. And I was about to buy it in December until someone told me to wait for today.... And now I need the new machine even more. But now what? Wait till the end of January? The more I wait, the more I need it. The more I wait, if I don't make it, the worse it'll hurt when the new version comes out a month later. But if they do announce/ship in late January, that is the latest I can hold out.

It sucks because I'm no fan boi, I'm no consumer than needs the newest, but I'm stuck making a ****** decision either way. :(

sounds like most of you are in the "want" category while I'm in the "need" but I don't want to get hosed by buying something and having it replaced shortly after. Had I bought what I wanted back in December now I'd feel great seeing how apple's messing with everyone right now.

Why you need a new one? Something matters on your old one? If not you can wait. I'm happy with my 2 years old PC laptop beacause I still have something.

If you are happy with this gen. Macs specs go for it and buy it. If you need more power then wait

jacobsen1

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
Mt View, RI
ugh. so if you buy a refurbed today you get 14 days price matching on it... Meaning if the new iMacs come out in 14 days, you can return whatever you buy today, then get the new model at whatever it's price is.... But, the last tuesday in January is MORE than 14 days away..... :(

riepley

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
I'm the "need" category... I've worked with Macs before and I love'm. But I couldnt afford one, straight out of school.
My 6y old PC died on me last month, I've been wanting an iMac for a while now. Just when I could afford it, a friend suggested I wait for the updates. So I did. And I was sooo disappointed by the MacWorld Keynote...

Felt as if I waited for 4 months for absolutely nothing. It's not a do-or-die situation but, I've just been itching to try out my new toy I got for christmas ( a Wacom Intuos tablet) on a Mac, instead of reanimating my POS PC, for the second time.

And, I am not willing to put down the 2800$ for a MBP. Heck, no! I'll pass on this offer, Apple, thank you.

That'll teach me to get my hope up for nothing.
I guess I'll wait my itch out... I sincerely hope the iMac update will be worth the wait. I don't want make the same mistake I did 6 yrs ago buying a 1500$ PC out on a limb.

rippyz

macrumors member
May 26, 2008
My primary purpose for the mini is media center, also double as a backup computer in case my main desktop dies. I guess I'll have to keep waiting until the new mini comes out or it is killed off for good. If it's killed off, then I'll probably get a iMac, although it would look pretty stupid as a media center next to a big LCD TV.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
Probably build myself a hackintosh desktop soon since they are cheap enough. Been waiting over a year for a new mini and it looking more and more like it's never coming.

johtaja

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2008
London
What exactly is wrong with the current gen imacs? 3.06 Ghz, 8800 GT, 4Gb Ram doesnt sound very obsolete.

bindigok

macrumors regular
May 14, 2007
It sounds more like they are trying to thin down all of the inventory left over from the holidays, rather than waiting to complete the iMac technology. I mean if they can pack all of that into a Powerbook, then why not an iMac??? Holiday sales sucked, much worse than expected. So this way they can sell off stock to those that are in the "need" for a new computer. Pisses me off none the less. Luckily my PB G4 is still hanging on, although they just had to replace the smart board thingy.

But I'm holding out until new iMacs are released. Last time I bought just before the Intel Macs came out and I'm still kicking myself for that one.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
YES. That's how you do it MacRumors!
Don't give up on Apple. Just wait it out, they will do it eventually.
Although, if something new isn't released by April I will be heart broken and most likely just by an "as is" Mac mini.
The second it's upgraded I'm going to get it, the Mac mini that is.

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
Lost opportunities

Funny thing is I wouldn't have thought upgrading/updating the mini would have been that difficult to do. I guess its back to waiting.

iStress

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
If they update it now, a lot of people are going to get angry because their Christmas presents are going to become obsolete.

I say we'd have until the end of January till early February.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.