No new macbook internals update :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Talkingtoaster, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Talkingtoaster macrumors regular

Talkingtoaster

Was waiting to buy one of these, time been wasted for nothing!

2. VR46 macrumors newbie

VR46

Yep and you have a nice 20% price increase too, including on the returbs. Wish I hadn't held off now....

3. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

yikes, really??

4. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

I think one thing everyone forgot to think about when discussing pricing on the new macbook pros and 2016 macbooks, etc. We never thought Apple would create a gap by increasing the prices on the macbook pros to make the macbooks appear cheaper. We all thought the macbooks would have to get a price drop. Nope. Simply amazing.

I've got one word for everyone: the used market. Apple is now a company, because of its pricing, to buy their last generation products. So right now is the best time to buy the old macbook pros. Actually scratch that: they haven't meaningfully changed in 4 years so buy a late 2013 macbook pro for relative peanuts. That's the value play here with virtually no performance hit.

5. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I didn't notice today that there was a price increase on the MacBooks..... Wow, I'm really glad now that I bought mine when I did back in August! Typing on her right now -- love this machine!

6. Talkingtoaster thread starter macrumors regular

Talkingtoaster

I'm lucky because I've managed to get the 2016 M5 512gb one for the original price of £1300 and not £1500 apple now charge. Plus I get tax back so it works out about £1040 so I'm happy with that.

How the hell can they justify a £200 increase? They are taking the pi$$

7. tkukoc macrumors 6502a

tkukoc

That was last year's model, they just made minor changes. I would assume you'll see a new macbook 12 next year.. still need to keep it around considering the "air" models are going away.

8. Talkingtoaster thread starter macrumors regular

Talkingtoaster

Is MLH82B/A the right model number for the UK 2016 M5? Help please
    --- Post Merged, Oct 28, 2016 ---
    Apple site shows:

MLH82xx/A

MB 12.0 SPACE GRAY/1.2GHZ/8GB/512GB

9. Rapp macrumors member

Rapp

Low value of the pound. Exports now cheaper and imports more expensive. Not saying this is 100% the cost but it will have a big part of it.

10. Talkingtoaster thread starter macrumors regular

Talkingtoaster

They still cant justify putting it upto £1500...

Just got one for £1300 minus tax. £1049 so I've been lucky. Looks like this might be my last macbook if they keep rising these prices. Should last me 3 years for uni anyway!

11. VR46 macrumors newbie

VR46

Can't you just tell by what GPU it has ie 515 rather than 5300?

12. Talkingtoaster thread starter macrumors regular

Talkingtoaster

Thats what I ended up doing in the end, its the 515.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 28, 2016 ---
    PS. big fan of Rossi too :)

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What components could possibly have been upgraded? Is there a new release of ultra low power processors since the last spec bump? I honestly don't know.

14. pika2000 macrumors 68030

The current retina MacBooks are already running Skylake Core m processors. Intel has not released any new ones in this range.

15. Talkingtoaster thread starter macrumors regular

Talkingtoaster

I did not know this, thanks for the info. I guess things have worked out OK then, apart from those having to pay the price increase. I thought maybe they would discontinue the Air and let the Macbook replace it. Maybe next year when the MB update comes.

I only just noticed they have discontinued the 11" air, I wonder why that is?

16. mathpunk macrumors regular

mathpunk

Actually, Intel has released a new version of one processor that could be used in the rMB:

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/95542/7th-Generation-Intel-Core-m3-Processors#@Mobile

There are also these:

http://ark.intel.com/products/95452/Intel-Core-i5-7Y54-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz

http://ark.intel.com/products/95441/Intel-Core-i7-7Y75-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

All of these are the new Kaby Lake processors more or less equivalent to the current rMB m3, m5, and m7, respectively. Not a significant improvement from the current processors for the most part, but they are new.