Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
I think one thing everyone forgot to think about when discussing pricing on the new macbook pros and 2016 macbooks, etc. We never thought Apple would create a gap by increasing the prices on the macbook pros to make the macbooks appear cheaper. We all thought the macbooks would have to get a price drop. Nope. Simply amazing.

I've got one word for everyone: the used market. Apple is now a company, because of its pricing, to buy their last generation products. So right now is the best time to buy the old macbook pros. Actually scratch that: they haven't meaningfully changed in 4 years so buy a late 2013 macbook pro for relative peanuts. That's the value play here with virtually no performance hit.

Talkingtoaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
UK
I'm lucky because I've managed to get the 2016 M5 512gb one for the original price of £1300 and not £1500 apple now charge. Plus I get tax back so it works out about £1040 so I'm happy with that.

How the hell can they justify a £200 increase? They are taking the pi$$

Reactions: addictive

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
That was last year's model, they just made minor changes. I would assume you'll see a new macbook 12 next year.. still need to keep it around considering the "air" models are going away.

Talkingtoaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
UK
Is MLH82B/A the right model number for the UK 2016 M5? Help please
[doublepost=1477671957][/doublepost]Apple site shows:

MLH82xx/A

MB 12.0 SPACE GRAY/1.2GHZ/8GB/512GB

Rapp

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I'm lucky because I've managed to get the 2016 M5 512gb one for the original price of £1300 and not £1500 apple now charge. Plus I get tax back so it works out about £1040 so I'm happy with that.

How the hell can they justify a £200 increase? They are taking the pi$$

Low value of the pound. Exports now cheaper and imports more expensive. Not saying this is 100% the cost but it will have a big part of it.

Reactions: Talkingtoaster

Talkingtoaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
UK
Low value of the pound. Exports now cheaper and imports more expensive. Not saying this is 100% the cost but it will have a big part of it.

They still cant justify putting it upto £1500...

Just got one for £1300 minus tax. £1049 so I've been lucky. Looks like this might be my last macbook if they keep rising these prices. Should last me 3 years for uni anyway!

Talkingtoaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
UK
The current retina MacBooks are already running Skylake Core m processors. Intel has not released any new ones in this range.

I did not know this, thanks for the info. I guess things have worked out OK then, apart from those having to pay the price increase. I thought maybe they would discontinue the Air and let the Macbook replace it. Maybe next year when the MB update comes.

I only just noticed they have discontinued the 11" air, I wonder why that is?

mathpunk

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2015
The current retina MacBooks are already running Skylake Core m processors. Intel has not released any new ones in this range.

Actually, Intel has released a new version of one processor that could be used in the rMB:

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/95542/7th-Generation-Intel-Core-m3-Processors#@Mobile

There are also these:

http://ark.intel.com/products/95452/Intel-Core-i5-7Y54-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz

http://ark.intel.com/products/95441/Intel-Core-i7-7Y75-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

All of these are the new Kaby Lake processors more or less equivalent to the current rMB m3, m5, and m7, respectively. Not a significant improvement from the current processors for the most part, but they are new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.