Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sakabaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
I am a bit concern that the only true leak for the MacBook Pro was the picture of it which showed an empty hole for the magic function keys.

I am worried that the production and distribution chains are far from ready (so no leaks because nothing to show) and we are gonna to have to wait a couple more months before seeing anything in the stores.

Am I the only one?
[doublepost=1477074207][/doublepost]In comparison, a month before the iphone 7 event, we had countless of pictures, both from the final product and several hardware components plus the full final specs pages...

Reactions: vpro

EnesM

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2015
I am a bit concern that the only true leak for the MacBook Pro was the picture of it which showed an empty hole for the magic function keys.

I am worried that the production and distribution chains are far from ready (so no leaks because nothing to show) and we are gonna to have to wait a couple more months before seeing anything in the stores.

Am I the only one?
[doublepost=1477074207][/doublepost]In comparison, a month before the iphone 7 event, we had countless of pictures, both from the final product and several hardware components plus the full final specs pages...

Mac hardware leaks less in general. But if you are right, for me that's good news , delay might mean Kaby Lake.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Timmy's really doubled down on this one.

No leaked benchmarks. No more leaked photos. No leaked packaging with the specs on. No leaked hints on Apple's website.

There's going to be a MacBook Pro update next week, absolutely no doubt. But the sheer secrecy makes me think it's going to be something properly special.

My money's on ditching Intel.

Reactions: UltimateSyn

sakabaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015

No leaked benchmarks. No more leaked photos. No leaked packaging with the specs on. No leaked hints on Apple's website.

There's going to be a MacBook Pro update next week, absolutely no doubt. But the sheer secrecy makes me think it's going to be something properly special.

Let's hope. I feel we are jumping from disappointment to disappointment regarding macs so I wouldn't put my hopes too high either.

The theory of them just releasing something average in a long time might be saddest but more realistic.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts

The 'hello again' slogan kind of indicates a massive change, as well. The reintroduction of the Mac, with custom designed processors, would make sense and be awesome.

This would also justify the fact that they're having an event. Because honestly, for just new MacBook Pros and updated specs across their computers, they could have put out a press release and Introduction/Design videos.

I'm really excited.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

catportal

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2016

You might as well just send me your money in that case.
Macbook pro with ARM processor = $0.00 in sales.

wbrat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Maybe they are planning to produce it in the US, as in case of Mac Pros? This would explain no leaks...

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK
If it's fully compatible with the current OS + better performance + no heat, why not?

Just out of curiosity (since I find that idea interesting too) would it be compatible with most apps out there? I thought most apps are optimised to make the most of Intel chipsets.

catportal

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2016
If it's fully compatible with the current OS + better performance + no heat, why not?

Because you can't break laws of physics? You do realize Intel uses much more efficient process technology, the heat to performance ratio is unmatched. Intel microarchitecture is leaps and bounds ahead of where ARM ISA or Apples implementation of ARM is.

The only way to make it "fully compatible" is if they virtualized x86/AMD64 on ARM which would have terrible performance causing the Macbook Pro to be Macbook Pos.

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
A whole host of reports came out showing that the iPhone 7 is faster than Mac Pro at single core tasks I thought. Get a few of those chips in a MBP and that'd be fantastic.

Also, aren't all apps getting submitted to the app store compatible with both Intel and ARM?

I really hope they switch. Very annoyed by the constantly delayed Intel 3% improvements

Reactions: rbrian

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
A whole host of reports came out showing that the iPhone 7 is faster than Mac Pro at single core tasks I thought. Get a few of those chips in a MBP and that'd be fantastic.

Also, aren't all apps getting submitted to the app store compatible with both Intel and ARM?

I really hope they switch. Very annoyed by the constantly delayed Intel 3% improvements

Benchmark is *a little bit* different than real usage. :)

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014
Just out of curiosity (since I find that idea interesting too) would it be compatible with most apps out there? I thought most apps are optimised to make the most of Intel chipsets.

No, that won't work. Only option would be to run the x86-64 apps in some kind of emulator on ARM and that would decrease the performance a lot.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
If anything, I'd say Tim Cook is calling your "ARM based" Mac the iPad Pro.

Apple's ARM chips are an accomplishment no doubt, but ARM on Mac would be a surefire way to get me to jump ship, fast. I'd rather see them switch to AMD Zen before ARM.

fox10078

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
If anything, I'd say Tim Cook is calling your "ARM based" Mac the iPad Pro.

Apple's ARM chips are an accomplishment no doubt, but ARM on Mac would be a surefire way to get me to jump ship, fast. I'd rather see them switch to AMD Zen before ARM.

I'd be gone the second they announced it. Its such a stupid useless thing to do, i have no idea why anyone wants it in the first place.

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
Because Apple is moving way faster than Intel when it comes to processor improvements, and the processors would be dramatically cheaper. Is there a site that truly compares the performance of the two right now?

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I'd be gone the second they announced it. Its such a stupid useless thing to do, i have no idea why anyone wants it in the first place.

It's not going to be solely ARM powered. Think A10 CPU in an always-on state like the iPhone, handling light tasks and browsing instantly while sipping the massive battery. The A10 controls the system-level hardware and wakes the usual x64 CPU and GPU when an app is opened that calls for it.

This would allow for some insane battery life doing light tasks, and a seamless hardware experience and transition to the Intel hardware in there when needed. I haven't heard this speculated anywhere, but I don't see why this wouldn't be the route they'd go. The volume production for Mac notebooks is small enough that it wouldn't be an out-of-this-world expectation for them to slap an A10 in all the MBPs.

iOS is a near complete fork of what underlies OS X. With Apple in control of the hardware and software, a combination ARM/x64 version of OS X that can seamlessly swap would be so Apple and solve a lot of problems - while gaining what presumably would be 24+ hour battery life if you're doing tasks on the A10.

Reactions: rbrian and JTToft

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Bear in mind that Windows 10 is a supported OS. 99% of Windows apps are not ARM-compatible.

Agreed. A lot of people have some windows app they need to run for their business. Parallels is slow without having to do CPU emulation. And forget bootcamp.

Last edited:

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
If Apple can make an ARM processor faster than the i7-6770HQ, it would shock the world. 2x the single core and 6x the multicore A10 power.

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
I hope they keep the intel processor for bootcamp. It's the best of both worlds from a business use aspect and for universities too.

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
If Apple can make an ARM processor faster than the i7-6770HQ, it would shock the world. 2x the single core and 6x the multicore A10 power.

Doesn't seem too hard right? Up the power draw from the phone a bit and throw in two of em. Done and done. I have no idea of course - just hoping. :)

Reactions: rbrian

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

Bear in mind that a lot of the most important apps for businesses and professionals (e.g. Microsoft Office and all the Adobe apps ) don't get delivered through the App Store and also the fact that x86 compatibility is needed for boot camp and fusion/parallels.

If they did do this they would lose a lot of sales IMO and would relegate the Mac line to being little more than iPads with built in keyboards.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
The 'hello again' slogan kind of indicates a massive change, as well. The reintroduction of the Mac, with custom designed processors, would make sense and be awesome.

This would also justify the fact that they're having an event. Because honestly, for just new MacBook Pros and updated specs across their computers, they could have put out a press release and Introduction/Design videos.

I'm really excited.

That's the same interpretation I posted in another thread previously.

The hello again slogan seems to imply a return from somewhere. Like we went there and now we're coming back.

Would be interesting if they returned to the PowerPC architecture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.