No new Macbooks at WWDC :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Shackler, May 27, 2008.

1. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

If the rumor of this delay is true i'll be very sad because i wanted a new, speedy, upgraded, (Aluminum maybe), Macbook to start University in September.
    So what do you guys think?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So you wait one more month. College can't start before July 14.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I think WWDC is in June so there's plenty of time between then and September.

4. bbbensen macrumors 6502

A new MacBook might not even be coming out soon.

We will just have to wait and see.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Don't worry, school doesn't start until August '08, don't lose any sleep over the rumored aluminum MB. (Doubt if I'll see it in my lifetime, you heard it here first?). :eek::eek::eek:

6. docowl macrumors newbie

docowl

New MacBook

Hi', I'm new for this Forum... First sorry for my English: I'm Italian.
    I wish to change my old iBook with a new Mac Book, maybe with Montervina processor and aluminium case.
    You know if this MB will be ready for November? Thanks. :)

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Sorry, Apple does not let anyone see its future product strategy, so no one knows except Apple, and maybe Walt Mossberg.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its quite likely there will be an update by then, but I'd say there is a 50% it will be aluminium.

9. docowl macrumors newbie

docowl

ok, thanks... I hope in Ma' (mother) Apple! ;)

Monday, April 7, 2008

Apple notebook lines to see major design changes, sources say

By Kasper Jade
    Published: 12:35 PM EST

Apple Inc.'s existing MacBook and MacBook Pro notebooks will be the last of their breed, as both product families are destined for major design changes upon their next refresh, AppleInsider has learned.

Related AppleInsider articles:
    Component report pins MacBook overhaul for...
    Aluminum MacBook, iMac-like MacBook Pro mocks...
    Next Apple notebook refresh rumored for June
    Next-gen Intel notebook chips to exceed 3.0GHz
    Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain...

Of the two, the 13-inch consumer MacBooks will undergo the most significant metamorphosis, shedding their plastic enclosures for ones constructed from more eco-friendly materials such as aircraft-grade aluminum and stainless steel, people familiar with the matter say.

The move, which makes good on a promise by company chief executive Steve Jobs to push towards a "greener Apple," will also mark an end to Macs that come clad in the now tawdry looking white enclosures that began with front face of original iMac nearly a decade ago.

Similarly, the MacBook Pro is also bound for aesthetic revisions, which like their upcoming MacBook counterparts are described by those familiar with the products as borrowing several design cues from the August 2007 aluminum iMacs and all-new MacBook Air. The end result, those same people say, will be a more uniform Mac product matrix in terms of design and material usage, and a MacBook offering that will far outclass its rivals.

Though precise details are admittedly limited given the ongoing revision process, it's presumed this will include instances of matte black on portions of the casings, oversized trackpads, and the adoption of the MacBook Air's keyboard by the MacBook.

While the footprint of the 13-, 15-, and 17-inch systems will remain largely unchanged, Apple will reportedly be free to perform some trimming around the edges, similar to -- but nowhere near the same magnitude -- as what was accomplished with the MacBook Air, and to a lesser extent, the rear of the aluminum iMacs.

Compelling the Cupertino-based firm to introduce radical revisions across its notebook lines at this juncture are two primary factors. The first is the company's industrial design cycle, which typically spans 18-24 months.

Neither the MacBook nor MacBook Pro have undergone an aesthetic or structural revision since adopting Intel chips back in the first half of 2006, meaning both will sport outdated outfits by Apple's design standards come mid-year.

The design of the MacBook Pro is particularly dated, having been introduced in January of that year with a form factor largely reminiscent of the late PowerBook G4, only 20 percent slimmer. MacBooks, arguably the fresher of the two lines, saw the most significant overhaul of all Intel-bound Macs systems just a few months later with their robust, magnetic-latching enclosures. (AppleInsider provided coverage and details of both design revisions (MacBook Pro: 1, 2; MacBook: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) in the months leading up to their respective introductions.)

Also paving the way for redesigned enclosures at this time are logic-board changes on the part of Intel that offer Apple the opportunity to reassess and slightly modify the notebooks' internals. Both the MacBook and MacBook Pro are to receive "Montevina"-based processors from the chipmaker's upcoming Centrino 2 platform, which require a new "Socket B" logic-board. The second-gen mobile Penryn chips will boast a 1066MHz front-side bus and clock between 2.26GHz and 2.8GHz.

10. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i hope they dont come out with an alu cause i want another white or black one :D

11. mavherzog macrumors 6502

That settles it. I'm buying a current gen Macbook.

12. Shackler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shackler

i know i'll still have time over the summer. but the equates to more waiting time which is never good.

So do you think an Aluminum case can still be revealed without an upgrade in specs or will they wait?

13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Really?

I'll have the resources to buy one in June to replace my 12"G4. Not sure if I can handle the wait!

14. Jmanstk macrumors member

I made up my mind a while ago that if they dont update them at WWDC then im not waiting any longer, and just buying my new blackbook. In the end its still an incredible piece of apple hardware, not likes its going to stop being fast just because they release a new one :p

15. SleepingSicknes macrumors member

aluminum > white and black

16. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Don't get your hopes up...WWDC caters to developers. Past hardware announcements during this event have only been Displays, XServes, and Mac Pros.

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yeah lets be real they wont release a consumer product at a developers conference its just not gonna happen. Even more so with the iPhone SDK to talk about this WWDC. There's no room for a MacBook announcement...a macbook pro maybe but even thats unlikely

18. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I was going to say this too, but then some will argue that the iPhone 3G IS a consumer product...

19. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

Can someone outline the benefits of aluminum casing over the plastic? I mean cosmetics aside (because that is PURELY subjective):

Aluminum is heavier, more eco-friendly (at least recyclable), will be slightly hotter under heavy useage, may have slightly less wifi range (unless they change the positioning unlike the current MBP).

20. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

iunno that was my friend who said aluminum > black white iunno what that means hes crazy? who knows we were in computer science, anywhos aluminum can dent and can leave nasty dents at that

21. OasisFanboy macrumors newbie

OasisFanboy

Sure, it's definitely not a given the aluminium is better aesthetically better than black/white. People LOVE their black/whites as they're real Apple distinguishers; there are plenty silver PCs on the market.

22. LNgolf macrumors newbie

Tired of waiting for updates and I actually like the white so i ordered mine today!

23. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I think the only Macs ever released at the WWDC were the Power Mac G5 and Mac Pro. As others have said though, the iPhone is certainly a consumer device.

24. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Yeah me too, I'm a big fan of Apple's white encased products. Aluminum is just bleh, but what can you do I'd buy it anyway.

25. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

If you're looking at a MB for school I'd definitely wait. I personally think that it's 100% certain there will be aluminum MBs by the start of the 08-09' school year.

Also, I think that while the iPhone is definitely a consumer marketed device, the release of the SDK ties the release of the 3G version nicely to the WWDC.