No new MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Offline, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Offline macrumors newbie

I was looking forward to an announcement of an update in the Macbook and Macbook Pro lines as my wife and I both intend to buy one in the near future.

If it's not announced during the show, when do you think the next occasion for an update would be?

Thanks

2. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

There might be a minor update to Penryn for the MBP but I suspect the re-design will come with Montevina (which has, as part of the platform, a lower wattage Penryn chip - 29w vs 34w) in 6 months time.

The lower wattage chips will allow a thinner design. I suspect we might get something along the lines of the MBA in terms of design (obviously not as extreme). Ive is getting us used to new design with the MBA.

3. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The higher performing processors have the same TDP as the current ones used. The fastest penryn/montevina mobile processor that operates at less than the current 35W TDP has a speed of 2.53GHz (@ 25W). While this is going to be faster than the current 2.6GHz option, it is not like Apple to go down in numbers and a 2.8GHz will be available at 35W. I'd expect no real change tot he MBP design other than minor refinements and the inclusion of the larger/multitouch trackpad.

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

They announced the Mac Pro a week before Macworld, who knows - they might have just held back the MBP so the MacBook Air could take centre stage.

I think we'll see it in the next 4-6 weeks.

6. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

I think we may see a small processor bump up to Penryn within possibly the next month, to keep the MBP competitive with it's PC counterparts.

Then during WWDC in June or so, we'll see a complete redesign with Montevina.

7. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

If they do update in the next month or so, I don't think there'll be anything until "Late 2008", else it'd be too small a gap between updates. Or hey, maybe that 2.6GHz option was all that's coming before Montevina, that's a scary thought!

8. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Err, actually yeah. All I can find is figures of 35w vs. 25W (like you say). I stand corrected. The release is May 2008 though which is different to the mid-2008 that I previously saw. This is actually more encouraging.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#.22Penryn.22_.28standard-voltage.2C_45_nm.29

I can't find the info I saw the other day. However 25W and May 2008 is actually better than the info I had. I predict they'll go with that despite the clock figure you rightly point out.

I'll quote my source info next time.

edit: here's the source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrino

From the Penryn/Montevina section:

"an Intel Core 2 Duo (code-named Penryn) 45nm second generation processor with 1066 MT/s FSB is planned to consume no more than 29W, compared to Merom's 34W TDP, the debut of SSE4.1, which will add 47 new instructions to SSSE3."

Regardless of actual details this bodes well for some interesting designs for the new MBPs (in time for NAB launch?)
    "