No nfs shares on my macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aoaaron, Aug 23, 2011.

1. aoaaron macrumors 6502

Hi, I have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on my MBP.

NFS Shares via disk utility will not mount. If they do mount, it says I do not have permission to do anything with them.

My dad's macbook on 10.6.8 works FINE with the NFS shares.

What can I do to fix the problem please?

2. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Are you using an administrative account when mounting, have you tried mounting via terminal?

3. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know how to mount via terminal. Any help much appreciated.

I only have one account on this laptop so I think its the admin account (as far as I know).

Disk utility says the NFS server responded... but it doesn't allow me to access it.

Its an unraid server if that helps.

"the folder can't be opened because you don't have permission to view its contents".

4. Dhelsdon, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Sounds like a permission issue from the server's end. Does it require you to use a login when mounting (smb and afp typically do)?

Edit: Read this, I know its outdated but it should help. I've only mounted smb shared by using

5. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

I doubt its a permission error because it lets my other macbook mount just fine.

I have googled around and it says its a bug in 10.6.7.

Is there a chance my 10.6.8 is bugged and maybe doesn't provide the fixes 10.6.8 did to this type of file sharing?

SMB works fine but it isn't fast enough for me.

6. speacock, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

speacock macrumors member

Most likely it's server permissions

Setting up NFS is usually a bit fiddly.

I've got two home NAS machines, one of which has an NFS service which simply doesn't work from any client (Mac, Windows or Linux) and another which works but requires a great deal of messing around editing files and mapping user accounts. On this one I can also bypass all that by adding the ip address of the client to the table of permitted clients.

If you are able to specify a list of permitted IP addresses on your NFS server that may do the job.

There's also a third party utility called NFS manager that can make things a bit easier. I've not tried NFS mounts via disk utility, didn't even know it had that functionality.

Having said this, can I ask do you really need NFS? can you not share files via CIFS/SMB or if you're in an all Mac environment over AFP. As a rule I find NFS is slow a pain to set-up and insecure. Granted it's quicker than SMB on the Mac, but slower than AFP.

I did some benchmark testing recently and the results (sustained throughput for 42GB file transfer) were broadly as follows: (Server is BSD-based FreeNAS)
    Mac AFP read 30MB/s write 30MB/s
    Mac SMB read 12MB/s write 10MB/s
    Mac NFS read 20MB/s write 20MB/s
    Windows NFS read 20MB/s write 2MB/s (yes 2)
    Windows CIFS read 90MB/s write 60MB/s
    Curiously, Mac performance over SMB/CIFS to a Windows 7 desktop was much better at around 60MB/s read and 40MB/s write.

I'm told Apple have replaced the old SAMBA stack in Lion with a new optimised CIFS one, so hopefully OS X Lion will be able to deliver the same performance over the network as the Windows systems, but I've not tried it yet.

7. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

NFS according to the XBMC community is better than SMB for streaming media.

I would agree with you on all of this in regards to the adding IPs etc. but why does one laptop work, and another not with the same settings and reported same OS?

I'm debating a format of my PC and reinstalling Snow Leopard and then updating.

8. speacock macrumors member

I've had similar problems

I can't answer your question about why it works on one but not another, unless the IP address of the one that works is in the table of allowed addresses or has the user account mapping stuff configured.

I've had very similar problems with NFS, we have two Macs here, both running Leopard, One Intel the other an old G5. one will connect reliably to our server over NFS, the other not at all (permissions error every time no matter what I do). The Windows boxes connect reliably but are hopelessly slow over NFS. I've given up on it, I'm too old and impatient now to mess around with it.

I'd guess XBMC recommend NFS because it's much less chatty than SMB and less prone to peaks and troughs, but I'd guess with a home LAN you wouldn't be running into problems of that nature anyway whichever filesharing protocol you used.

I hope the rebuild works if that's the route you decide to go.

9. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for your response.

well i am in too minds... I do fancy a clean install anyway just because I believe I have a few sleep issues with old printers etc.

I've got a NAS now which holds all my media so a new install wouldn't do me too much harm.

I just tried on my sisters 2010 IMAC and it mounts fine on hers. I think its an issue with mine to do with mine. :(