No notifications when screen off

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DDaddyx2, Nov 5, 2016.

1. DDaddyx2 macrumors regular

DDaddyx2

On my iPhone 7 Plus, I am not getting any Message notifications if the screen is turned off. If I turn on the screen, I see the message there on the lock screen. But this thing never turns on the screen or makes a sound when I get a message. I am not in DND and notifications are turned on for Messages. The ringer is not turned off. I just did a reset but the issue persists.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

3. DDaddyx2 thread starter macrumors regular

DDaddyx2

Mail does the same thing. The phone is just not coming alive to show notifications. I have to press a button on it to turn on the screen and then the notification appears.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

So is that to say all notifications are like that, or just Messages and Mail? When you turn the screen on, do you see the notification come in at that time (and perhaps with associated sound/vibration as well), or it's simply already there?

5. DDaddyx2 thread starter macrumors regular

DDaddyx2

It's simply already there. On my iPad the screen will come on and I will hear a sound.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Do you have a watch connected?

7. DDaddyx2 thread starter macrumors regular

DDaddyx2

Yes I do have the watch. And I found that if Bluetooth is turned off on the phone, notifications work as expected. They stop working if I turn Bluetooth back on. So what is the watch doing to affect this?

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It's working how it is designed to work: if you have a watch paired and unlocked, notifications go to the watch when the phone screen is off

9. DDaddyx2 thread starter macrumors regular

DDaddyx2

I rebooted my watch and notifications are working on it now. The watch was not showing notifications either. I guess I didn't notice the behavior until it stopped
    Working.