Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mehrab

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
Dubai
I found something incredible. Go Preference/Viewing in Mail and change the view to classic. Quit the app, reopen. The sound came back, unbelievable !!! It works.

It worked for me 2! also after I change it to normal again! at least for 1 time, maybe it stops to work again later!

frosty001

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
working quite well

Really like Notifications but I think they need to change that you need Mail running to receive notifications.
Seems like an oversight as Twitter works without running. You have the ability to switch off Notifications so it's not like it's forced upon users.

Hope this change comes in a minor update.

Only real problem for me in ML is a bug with Pages / Email / Attachments sent from .mac / .me addresses. Very very annoying but hopefully will be fixed quickly.

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
They don't quite work for me. A good example is if I have Messages open or closed and send a message from one of my iOS devices...the first message I sent does not pop up in notification centers. But if I send another messages...it happens. So it's weird. Clearly there are bugs still to be worked out.

iwan073

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2011
The Netherlands
So how does this work for Twitter?

It won't work when there's a Twitter app open?
Does there have to be a Twitter app running in the background, like it has to with mail?

Can someone send me a twitter message to test this?

It works with Tweetbot, but not the Twitter app from the MAS.

Last edited:

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
As far as Mail goes..

Heres something worth remembering: Junk mail doesn't show up in the Notification Centre.

I spent ages trying to see if my notification was working by sending myself emails on a random email account, and nothing would happen. It was only when I marked the emails as 'not junk mail' that they started appearing in the notification centre.

Unfortunately I still have a problem with Twitter in the notification centre. No matter what happens, I just don't receive any notifications.

Feel free to bombard my twitter account if you want. @xXRainKingXx

I'll let you know if any appeared in the notification centre.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
You need the Mail process running for notifications but you can still have the window closed. Don't bother minimising or hiding the app, just close the window and you'll almost forget it's running. The only time it would get system intrusive would be if you wanted to run a full screen game like WoW.

To make Mail send notifications when not running at all would mean they'd need to create a separate process that's always running no matter what therefore making it MORE system intrusive. I do not agree with that. You guys forget. The close button only closes the window, NOT the app. There are some apps that use the close button to actually close the apps but this is not the correct way to do it.

Abbsta

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
^^I concur. Mail, Calendar, twitter and Due are working fine for me.

But I don't get any for Mac Apps Updates and I have to manually launch the app to check and it's not listed in NC Settings.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
^^I concur. Mail, Calendar, twitter and Due are working fine for me.

But I don't get any for Mac Apps Updates and I have to manually launch the app to check and it's not listed in NC Settings.

Oh the irony. My twitter doesn't work but I DO get mac update notifications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.