No.of.files (.h & .m)- Performance/size

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by mpramodjain, Dec 20, 2010.

1. mpramodjain macrumors regular

Hi All,

I have the following query regarding the no.of. .m and .h files used in a code would affect the size of the app(.app to be uploaded for the app store) and any performance issues.

As of my current scenario, I had different generic functionalities, in different files which would make the application folder size a bit more, but the most beautiful..

Do this affect in anyway to the performance of the application at runtime or size of the build to be uploaded to app store.

Please share your experience on this issue.

Note : I can make a trial methods for this , but any live experiences can only judge such scenarios.

2. Sander macrumors 6502

No, it doesn't make a difference in the final executable how you split up your code in files. So go ahead and make nice organized chunks.

3. ianray macrumors 6502

Low coupling and high cohesion are your goals.

Splitting logic amongst several modules (several .m files) implies splitting an implementation across multiple classes, which obviously incurs a method-call overhead. There will be times when this matters, and when it does not. It typically only matters in high-performance code -- making your own tests is a good thing, because there really is no (general) right or wrong answer :)