Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
and yet they did "manage" to put one on the X...

for me it's such a major consideration for camera use..
but i decided i will be hugely crippled by the X smaller screen and ratio.
my priorities were biggest screen and best camera.

anyone else bummed by this?
were Apple unable to put OIS on the 8+?
or was it a cold decision to make people go for the X instead?

Reactions: ABC5S

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
The iPhone X screen is bigger than the 8+.
Its supposedly bigger but feel smaller because of the notch, thinner than the 8+
And video contents will appear much smaller than the +, so in general usage you will feel it’s smaller.
Many threads in that so no use repeating.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
The iPhone X screen is bigger than the 8+.

We’ve been over this a lot on this forum. Apple approached it wrong.

Anyways I was a little disappointed too, but other than that I’ve been truly loving this phone. I’m sure it was a cold decision to help distinguish the price levels. Like how at first only the + had OIS until with the 7 they eventually trickled it down into the lowest level. I’d expect the “9” to be the first 4.7 with dual lenses (one with OIS) and then the + gets OIS on both.

Reactions: roeiz

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I believe it is absolutely deliberate. They needed differentiated selling points to pull off the increased prices of the X and this was one way to do it.

Look at the 6 vs 6 Plus:
Why could the 6 Plus have OIS but not the 6 when....

6S vs 6S Plus
Now the 6S can magically have OIS but only the 6S Plus can have OIS on video as well.

7 vs 7 Plus
As we know, the 7 Plus had the duel camera system with main camera OIS vs single iPhone 7 camera (now magically having OIS on both pics and vids) and now....

8 Plus vs X
The X is given OIS on both lenses while the 8 Plus only has OIS on main lens.

Also, you are spot on about the screens.

Last edited:
Reactions: ABC5S and roeiz

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
I believe it is absolutely deliberate. They needed differentiated selling points to pull off the increased prices of the X and this was one way to do it.

Look at the 6S vs 7. What magically changed that allowed the 7 to finally get OIS but not the 6S? But not to be outdone, Apple added OIS to video, but only on the 7 Plus.....not the 7.

Did the 7+ really have OIS in videos where the 7 did not? I honestly thought they were exactly the same, tricky Apple :p

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010

8 Plus vs X
The X is given OIS on both lenses while the 8 Plus only has OIS on main lens.

oh man... why do they have to put me in this spot?
i was finally gonna spoil myself for my b'day
and upgrade my 6S+
but with the lack of valuable OIS on the +
it's logically smarter keeping patience for one more year for the X+ or something
:(

Reactions: phillytim

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
i mean i'm no expert, but it looks to me like they originally designed it so another OIS camera would fit snugly in there if needed. or why waste space like that? (you can see 4 OIS magnets around the right camera lens)

OIS.jpg

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Its supposedly bigger but feel smaller because of the notch, thinner than the 8+
And video contents will appear much smaller than the +, so in general usage you will feel it’s smaller.
Many threads in that so no use repeating.

How can you say it’s “supposedly bigger”?
It is bigger, that’s a fact.

Of course the phone will feel smaller, because again, it is.
But the screen itself is larger.

I don’t see the issue?

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I feel the same exact way as you guys, very disappointed the 8 Plus doesn't have OIS on both/all cameras.

Unfortunately, it's all about marketing and "product differentials" - Apple giving you breadcrumbs to get you to upgrade to higher tiers of devices.

And we all know too well what a master of marketing Apple already is.

I see right through that, and am still not compelled to upgrade my 6s+ to anything in sight. If anything, I'll probably just have Apple replace my battery at some point, and move on with my current phone for another couple of years.

Reactions: ATC and roeiz

rocksyoursock

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Honestly, yes its deliberate. It saves cost and is an upsell/benefit of the more expensive model. Just like how the regular iPhone 8 only has one rear camera, which makes the Plus the upsell to that.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Honestly, yes its deliberate. It saves cost and is an upsell/benefit of the more expensive model. Just like how the regular iPhone 8 only has one rear camera, which makes the Plus the upsell to that.

when you lay it like that, it sounds almost appropriate.
still, the X had enough new different stuff to offer while still enabling the tele OIS on the +

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Probably deliberate.

I don’t see the issue?

This topic has been beat to death already.

Go demo a Samsung Galaxy S8. Hold the 5.8" S8 next to a 5.5" iPhone. Ask yourself which screen is bigger and you'll instantly know what everyone is referring to.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR

I don’t see the issue?
The screen diagonal includes the notch. Take away the area around it, that is mostly useless for displaying video, and usable screen is not larger. The screen is taller, but it's not as wide. There are dozens of threads on this, and websites where you can compare the sizes.

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2012
England, UK
All this judgement and disappointment on a product that hasn’t even been released yet, let alone tried.

I do see what you’re saying, but why not just wait and see when you can actually get your hands on one in store to try?

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
All this judgement and disappointment on a product that hasn’t even been released yet, let alone tried.

I do see what you’re saying, but why not just wait and see when you can actually get your hands on one in store to try?

Because

1. Once you get a big screen, you don’t want to go back. In any sort of way. I went from an htc one m7 (4.7) to nexus 5, to 6+, I’m not gonna have a phone that’s screen is -any- smaller than the 5.5 view ability.
2. It’s so freaking expensive, for $50 less (actually around $500 less with all the promotions) you could get a note 8 with a genuinely bigger screen. Apples cpus are pretty amazing, and their new in house gpus are great, but I honestly can’t justify a $500+ dollar difference (50% off+ Up to $225 in free accessories after through Samsung) for that one chip and the os it’s running on.

The X was a MASSIVE disappointment for me. But The 8+ is a great phone, and next year im hoping Apple will just throw a 5.5 1080p oled in the same design. I don’t mind that a lot of people like the X, but I think a lot of people are making it to be -way- more than it actually is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.